Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Reviews
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2021, 04:06 PM   #1

TyGuy’s Venom X22 Tips and Review

Hey, all. So I’ve had some time with my new X22. Figured I would keep a thread sharing my thoughts, observations, mods, and ongoing review.

I’ve had numerous bikes in the past and missed it. I just wanted something nimble and fun for riding. The X22 fit the bill.

I’d been toying with picking one of these up for a while. I really got the itch recently and pulled the trigger. I do really like the graphics on the 2021 as compared to the 2020, which helped.

Bike arrived in 8 days from purchase, and that was from Cali to NJ. Was a little nervous when I saw some bent parts on the steel cage, but the bike arrived in perfect shape. The cage really helped protect it on that long trip.

I’m mechanically inclined and enjoy working on my toys, whether that means cars or bikes, so the initial setup went fine. I made sure a wrench touched every nut and bolt on the bike and applied threadlock where necessary. Also installed a set of pigtails when putting the battery in. Ran those connections into the storage compartment under the seat. Definitely makes life easier.

I anticipated difficulty starting her, but she turned over easily. Idle was fine, which was also a pleasant surprise. I was up and down the block a whole bunch of times grinning from ear to ear. I did do a minor clutch adjustment just because of my own preference. I’m pleased with how it runs.

The bike is light...I mean really light. It’s easy to maneuver which is great. Very easy to throw it around. As I’m sure you heard, it’s a lot of fun riding a slow bike fast (but not too fast because I’m still breaking her in).

Fit and finish is actually better than I expected. It’s a sharp looking bike in person. No wonky paint or anything like that. Didn’t spot any concerning welds, which I anticipated finding. I did find one vent line that rested on top of the cylinder, which I addressed by zip-tying it up toward the frame. Problem solved.

Looks more expensive than it is. I had neighbors coming by amazed that this thing got dropped off at my house. It’s fun explaining what it actually is.

As I posted in another thread, no issue at the DMV in Jersey getting it registered.

I’ve added a tank protector, an alarm, a disc lock, and neons for night time visibility so far.

I’ll keep this thread updated with my progress on mods, as I am very bad at keeping things stock.

IG: @TyGuyProductions

Last edited by TyGuy; 09-09-2021 at 07:31 AM.

Old 06-30-2021, 04:23 PM   #2

They are well built bikes for sure. One mod you must do is install a 36 tooth rear sprocket. You will like the bike even more.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 06-30-2021, 06:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
They are well built bikes for sure. One mod you must do is install a 36 tooth rear sprocket. You will like the bike even more.
Already on the list

I’m also contemplating my exhaust options. Based on a look around the current setup, I anticipate having to modify other setups, which I don’t mind.

Old 07-06-2021, 10:03 AM   #4

So the bike appears to be breaking in nicely. I did do a bit of carb tuning yesterday to adjust my idle a bit more before a long ride. Interestingly, I had an odd smell and some smoke coming from the engine area while I was warming her up. Was driving me crazy trying to find the source, as I made sure to tuck up any vent hoses away from the engine when I assembled it.

Turns out I found a rubber band between the flange of the exhaust and where it mates up to the engine. Problem solved.

That said, wasn't expecting that, so be sure to really go over the thing when you get it and check for the unexpected.

Ride went amazing. Was a blast. Bike appears to be getting smoother in shifting and acceleration, so she's breaking in well.

Next up, an oil change.

Old 07-07-2021, 02:03 PM   #5

Hi Ty, I am planning of getting the X22. Is the one you have the 125cc? I am from New York. Is there a concern registering it here? Any thoughts. Thanks

Old 07-08-2021, 07:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdesab View Post
Hi Ty, I am planning of getting the X22. Is the one you have the 125cc? I am from New York. Is there a concern registering it here? Any thoughts. Thanks
Hey. Yes, I have the standard 125cc x22. What would I would recommend is jumping on Google and seeing if the state of New York has an approved manufacturer list with the bike on it. You would not be registering it as a Venom x22. My MCO stated Jiangsu Baodiao BD-125-11.

If you cannot uncover an approved manufacturer list, the next step I would recommend is calling your nearest DMV.

Here in Jersey, I had zero issues. I'm hoping the same for you. Very pleased with mine and love to get out and ride it.

Let us know how things ends up!

Old 07-08-2021, 08:12 AM   #7

Thank you Ty. I appreciate the info. Keep safe.

Old 07-08-2021, 08:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Thank you Ty. I appreciate the info. Keep safe.
Ride safe. Hope it works out. Let us know how things play out.

Old 07-08-2021, 08:42 AM   #9

Sorry for the double post. Just thought of this: Venom alleges it to be street legal in all 50 states, which helps. You just may need to simply verify that for peace of mind.

Old 07-09-2021, 03:39 PM   #10

Hi Ty,
I am thinking of venom X22 125cc. Is this good for newbie like me? Totally no experience. I just finished my MSF training 2 weeks ago. Is the clutch easy to use? or Maybe the X22 GT 250cc automatic. Is this also good? Thanks

Old 07-09-2021, 04:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Hi Ty,
I am thinking of venom X22 125cc. Is this good for newbie like me? Totally no experience. I just finished my MSF training 2 weeks ago. Is the clutch easy to use? or Maybe the X22 GT 250cc automatic. Is this also good? Thanks
I took the safety course years ago, as well. Was a great experience. For what’s it’s worth, my first bike was an 883 Sportster (significantly bigger, heavier, and more power). Wasn’t really my style. I prefer the x22 because it is so much easier to maneuver and control. Had I found this when I was first starting out, it would have been amazing. What style bikes are you into? What did you ride in your course? Did you like it or dislike it? Why? All big questions that will lead you to the right bike.

While I do believe the x22 is an excellent beginner’s bike, there are some things I feel I should mention:

- It is easy to handle and maneuver (maneuverability already got me out of one jam locally)
- It is comfortable. The “sport” position is one I prefer to a cruiser with forward controls or mid controls. Some folks aren’t into that position, though (back, comfort, etc.). What about you?
- I find no issues with the clutch and find it consistent. Just use proper technique and it will be smooth. Good habits work best. I adjusted my clutch after my first test ride.
- It doesn’t have a great deal of power that will get you into trouble. However, that means you also don’t have power on tap to get OUT of trouble if you need to.
- Know it’s advantages and limitations, as well as your intentions for it. I know this is not a highway bike and I’m fine with that. I didn’t expect it to be. I purchased mine for cruising around locally and it’s great for that.
-Where do you want to ride?
- Will a day come when you want more power? I intend to purchase an x22r down the line at some point so I could do some riding further away from home and power won’t be an issue. However, I fully intend to keep my x22 for local rides when that day comes. That said, if the 125 fits the bill, good for you.

I am mechanically inclined and confident in working on my own cars and bikes. That said, it could be a great learning experience for you to work on your own bike and the x22 is a good platform for that. If you are not interested in working on your own bike, and do not want to pay someone else, you may want to look elsewhere, as this bike (and all China bikes), will require regular maintenance and inspection to keep them in great shape. You will learn a lot quickly, which is great.

As for your question about the x22GT, that all depends. I prefer a manual bike, although I have owned two older automatics. I since sold those off. However, you may prefer automatic which is perfectly fine. That choice is up to you. If you’re questioning the automatic because you’re a new rider and maybe a bit intimidated by using a clutch, the x22 may be a great bike to develop your clutch skills on. Low power, easy to handle, and forgiving. Again, all of that is up to you and what you decide/prefer. I can’t say much more on this because I’ve never ridden the GT.

Overall, I love mine. It’s a blast to ride. I have no issues or concerns with it. Quality is better than expected and the process was smooth. I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

I hope this helps.

Old 07-12-2021, 10:08 AM   #12

So I've been exploring exhaust options. Tried to test the waters regarding a performance exhaust that might mate up correctly. The muffler options out there will involve cutting and welding, both of which I have the ability to do. However, I was looking for a full system. I reached out to Venom directly to explore possibilities. While it is not currently an option, they indicated that they will be exploring this soon as an offering.

For now, cutting and welding a muffler with need to suffice. Stay tuned.

Old 07-12-2021, 12:45 PM   #13

TyGuy: "So I've been exploring exhaust options. Tried to test the waters regarding a performance exhaust that might mate up correctly. The muffler options out there will involve cutting and welding, both of which I have the ability to do. However, I was looking for a full system. I reached out to Venom directly to explore possibilities. While it is not currently an option, they indicated that they will be exploring this soon as an offering.

For now, cutting and welding a muffler with need to suffice. Stay tuned."

I can't remember what JerryHawk did to his exhaust but this thread is chock full of good info.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=26256

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 07-12-2021, 04:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
TyGuy: "So I've been exploring exhaust options. Tried to test the waters regarding a performance exhaust that might mate up correctly. The muffler options out there will involve cutting and welding, both of which I have the ability to do. However, I was looking for a full system. I reached out to Venom directly to explore possibilities. While it is not currently an option, they indicated that they will be exploring this soon as an offering.

For now, cutting and welding a muffler with need to suffice. Stay tuned."

I can't remember what JerryHawk did to his exhaust but this thread is chock full of good info.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=26256
Yup! Thanks for this! He was kind enough to provide me info for the reducer I anticipated needing for this.

Old 07-16-2021, 08:33 AM   #15

Quick little update:

Went for my first night ride last night since getting the bike. Hadn't really had the opportunity to get out on it in the dark due to obligations upon getting home from work. In the back of my mind, I had this nagging desire to see what visibility would be like in the dark while riding at night and I wanted to test out the bike's lighting. I also wanted to get out on it on a cool summer night, which is what I had down here last night when the sun went down.

I have to say, I am VERY pleased with the performance of the lighting. Visibility was good. At no point did I feel uncomfortable or that I was struggling to see ahead of me. I also tested the "pass" feature of the lighting system, which worked well. Yet again, the bike met my expectations.

I've had numerous people stop me on the street to ask about it. My neighbor, who is really into bikes, came by when I got home to compliment the bike and asked me lots of questions. He couldn't believe what it truly was.

At some point this week I will be wiring up my LED/neon lighting for greater visibility at night, as well as performing my oil change. I'll post back with any findings or updates.