Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2009, 08:11 PM   #1

Need shocks

The shocks on both my Taotaos are nothing more than springs, and bad ones at that.

I need 13" and 14" shocks. Elkas, progressive, etc are crazy expensive but the fast ace look nice, unfortunately they don't make atv shocks.

Any suggestions?

Old 07-22-2009, 10:19 PM   #2

A couple of the guys on the forum have had good results with these: http://www.giobikes.com/Performance-...cks-Nitro-Gas/

Not sure which country you're in, but $159.95 Canadian is roughly $136.00 US.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-23-2009, 12:29 AM   #3

might have a prob with gio shipin to the usa dont no about parts but i no 2wheelers and so on cant be shiped

Old 07-23-2009, 09:52 AM   #4

There is a local dealer who has them but they are in inch too short and I do not see a matching rear. These will go on my TT ATA-250E and ATA-150H.

I don't mind spending more and was hoping FastAce might be coming out with something. They are absolutely gorgeous Chinese made shocks that seem to be going after the big boys.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skripo
There is a local dealer who has them but they are in inch too short and I do not see a matching rear. These will go on my TT ATA-250E and ATA-150H.

I don't mind spending more and was hoping FastAce might be coming out with something. They are absolutely gorgeous Chinese made shocks that seem to be going after the big boys.
There is a rear shock, but another member reported that it is too stiff.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-23-2009, 08:25 PM   #6

Any other ideas? Would the stock shocks from a major brand be an upgrade? By the way, which major brand quads are the Ata-250 and ATA-125 clones of?

Old 07-24-2009, 12:51 AM   #7

I haven't seen your particular quads, so I'm not sure, but I'll bet that only the engines are cloned. The rest of a Chinese ATV is usually a collection of other parts.

I say usually, because the Baja 400 quad was a direct copy of the Yamaha Bruin. It is generally the more expensive units that are a direct clone.

I bought Yamaha Raptor shocks for our Beast, but they were too long and too wide to fit. Not a problem if you like to weld and grind, but they're definitely not a bolt-in. They are fantastic; it was totally worth the effort.

Start by searching eBay for atv shocks (maybe you already have). Perhaps you'll find something suitable for cheap.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:33 AM   #8

My buddy has been welding since he is 13 (now 48) so I have no issues with that. I plan to strip it down this winter and redo the quad. Another friend has a sandblaster and another can get the frame plasma coated at bombardier. Don't mind the work, as long as it doesn't cost me too much.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:13 PM   #9

If you have a buddy with mad skills, then go for it. My 2006 Raptor 660 shocks were $30 on eBay; most guys with Raptors usually upgrade the stockers right away (to our benefit).

Again, it took some fab work to make 'em fit, but it was totally worth it.

Check out http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...ewtopic&t=7684

Old 07-27-2009, 11:24 PM   #10

I am going to cave and order the Gio beast upgrade shocks for my 125 and 250 TaoTao. The fronts seem right but does anyone know what length the rears are? I need 13" for the fronts and 14" for the back. The mount width would also be nice.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:29 AM   #11

I noticed there is a rear shock auction on right now, ends in 18 hours. Didn't have the length but does on the fronts. 18 hours gives you time to either call or email John on the length and you may get a better deal through the auction on the rear one..

Old 07-28-2009, 01:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skripo
I am going to cave and order the Gio beast upgrade shocks for my 125 and 250 TaoTao. The fronts seem right but does anyone know what length the rears are? I need 13" for the fronts and 14" for the back. The mount width would also be nice.
I can tell you that the stock rear shock on my Beast is about 11 1/8" (installed, quad at rest, no rider) and the mounts are about 1 1/16" wide.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:24 AM   #13

Well that is too bad. I need a 14" for the rear. Thanks for the specs!

Old 07-29-2009, 04:56 PM   #14

Is there any real functional difference between front and rear shocks? I know that some tend to be longer but I can't see any other difference.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:52 PM   #15

The function the same, but the load rating can be different. On the front you have two to hold the weight and on the rear only one.

The spring on the rear is probably heavier.

Allen