Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2007, 12:42 PM   #1

Need new ideas on new back fender

I busted the black plastic "inner" fender that had the tail light and turn signals attached. It is the black part beneath the rep fender.

I went over a drop off about a foot tall and next thing I know it is hanging by the wires.
Tank will replace this part, but the only inner rear fenders thay have on hand is for the other trail 200 bike they sold at the same time as mine and it will probably take at least a month to get it replaced. From the pictures does any of your bikes rear fender look like this? If so, does your manufacturer have any parts on hand? I could wait, but I will be going out of town shortly and would love to take the bike on this trip if possible. Any help and ideas appreciated.

Old 01-27-2007, 01:12 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to RPM
This is from the Hi-Bird bikes that I have and looks very similar to yours. The taillight lens is a little different, but the same size it seems and may just fit your bike. If you want, I will be glad to get a price for you Monday. The black part is actually a two piece fender, so I am guessing that you only need the back half?

Old 01-27-2007, 02:04 PM   #3

Yep, that looks pretty close, get me a price, if you would. Aren't the hi-bird bikes based off of the Jet-moto bikes? Different back fender, thankfully.

Old 01-27-2007, 02:17 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to msRandi
a must have

Harbor Freight tool has plastic welding tool and with practice you can rebild any body part on the bike. Or find some who can do it for you.
love from the big island

Old 01-27-2007, 02:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputygene
Yep, that looks pretty close, get me a price, if you would. Aren't the hi-bird bikes based off of the Jet-moto bikes? Different back fender, thankfully.
RPM had stated before that they appear to be based on the Lifan GY-2 model. If you look at the headlight and surround, you can see the resemblance.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 01-27-2007, 04:33 PM   #6

When my Jetmoto cam that was broken from shipping and they immediately sent out a new one complete with tailight... being a lazy and cheap sort I heated up a screw driver and softened the plastic and melt welded it all back together... it works and will do until it breaks to badly to fix... and I still have the new one in the box.

Aaron

2008 Fly-Scooters La Vie
www.scootdawg.proboards59.com

Old 01-27-2007, 05:20 PM   #7

most body shops have those plastic welders they work very good shouldn't cost to much if u take it off

Old 01-27-2007, 06:54 PM   #8

How do these plastic welders work? Do they just melt the plastic or do they melt it and feed more melted plastic to it? I have never seen one.

Got out today, beutiful weather, too nice for me and my son not to be riding. About 50's and sunny. Got out my old standby, duct tape. Several wraps around the fender and turnsinals had it stuck in place. a couple more wraps all the way around the luggage rack had everything snug. Went for a short street ride, everthing stayed together. Then went for the real test, a dirt ride for about 2 hours with my son. No jumps, but everything stayed together. Then went on a longer street ride after it got dark and everything held together.

I have to work everydy till we leave for my trip, won't have much yime to take of the fender and try to make it work, but I think the duct tape will hold for the two days we are in south Indiana.

RPM, still check the price on a hi-bird fender for me. I told the gut at the shop where I bought my bike to get me two of these, just in case.
y

Old 01-27-2007, 07:13 PM   #9

welding

the welder is like a hair dryer and you use rod, so its like welding. if all eles fails ship it to me and I weld it for free. you pay shipping so not to cheep.
love from the big island

Old 01-27-2007, 10:05 PM   #10

Send a message via MSN to dlunt
I had a broken plastic piece in our refrigerator.
It was part of the frame that supports the vegi drawer.
No glue or epoxy worked.
I just took a soldering iron and a thick wire tie for plastic feed and melted the edges of the frame plastic and melted in the wire tie plastic.
Highly unprofessional; but it worked.

Of course I haven't drove the vegi drawer off a 12" drop off to test it. :wink:

Old 01-30-2007, 05:59 PM   #11

I had you one coming, but I just spoke with Darian at MOTTS, where I believe you purchased your Tank from. We were both on another board and I just saw that he was just notified by Tank that the fender in on it's way. He did ask me to see about getting a tank cover for you, since Tank doesn't seem to have the one you need for your model. As soon as I get this ordered, it will be on the way as well.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:27 PM   #12

Yeah, he called me today! He has been great about keeping in contact with me. Thanks for getting in touch with him. Do you think the Hi-bird tank covers will work? Darian was suprised that mine had broken so quickly, he sold another bike like mine and it has not had the same problems with plastics. I think they may have been mounted in some sort of bind, making the crack from vibration.
Thanks again, let me know the cost on the others.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:06 AM   #13

Well, it sure looks close. I imposed my bikes tank onto your bike as a comparison, so take a look and tell me what you think:

I would think that it would work, only thing is that I haven't seen a Hi-Bird in red, so I am not sure if it has blue stripes or white stripes. The way my day went, it will probably come with pink stripes! 8O
I will verify before it ships out.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:30 PM   #14

plastic welding

Did some plastic welding on Rach's Viva today and added some pic' to the gallery, showing the welder and how it works.
love from the big island