Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2010, 10:19 PM   #1

If you don't I do, and somewhere under 1000ft of cable (it was very cheap at home depot)...

The wii has built in wifi and can use netflix, that sounds like your easiest setup if you've got a wireless router already...

The Wii won't do HD though, as far as I know it isn't capable of it.

The price I am paying is a promo price and set to go up after 1 year, I think then I will be paying around $50-60 if I recall correctly. That is for both the tv and internet service though. The internet is a bit slower then Shaw, it's around 13-15mbits/s. If you do get Telus, you can have them set your xbox up as a second "set top box" so you can access the pvr with it. The only issue with that is they charge you something like $8 a month to use your own hardware (vs renting a second box for $10 a month I believe, I purchased my second box, looking back that was a mistake I really only need the one). They also have to do some wiring changes so you may have different options for connectivity after they're done.

My router (provided by telus, includes wifi / modem) is installed in my room. I believe it is plugged in to the coax jack and an adsl jack. My 2nd set top box is connected to it. And then in living room my main set top box / pvr is plugged in via the coax jack. My xbox is connected with a cat5 cable to the back of the pvr and it connects to the internet that way. Nice and simple... The installer didn't mention I could do this though, he had me run a cable around the room, I guess he didn't know you could do that, I found it online.

About the PS3, I only mentioned it because you were considering setting up another computer to use as a media player / blu ray player and I don't think the ps3 would be too far off price wise as an alternative. Not too familiar with them though.

I do like the netflix user interface on the xbox better then the wii, but prefer the computer interface. They all work though.