Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2024, 09:07 PM   #1

Engine not firing up instantly

Hi guy!

I am an owner of MP-250-A Scooter (250cc). My scooter looks like beat up but have all functioning instruments and lights (everything works). It's just the plastic bottom side guard and windshield broken off cuz it's cheap and brittle. I just replaced starter, starter clutch, battery, and new carburetor and cone air filter. scooter have 4,300 miles on ODO and it's 10 years old. (New carburetor don't have vacuum connection so I capped vacuum tubes except for vacuum operated fuel pump connect from rubber intake nub.. Basically Carburetor is a straight carburetor)

My only issue is that engine don't fire up quickly when it sits overnight. Valves had been adjusted .004 in Intake and .008 Exhaust. It take few tries before it finally run. After 20 min ride, parked at store and shopped 15 min then back to scooter. Tried to fire up and it won't fire up quickly, I had to twist throttle few times to prime fuel then fire it up. It ll run and die. I tweak throttle just little while starting and it fired up and running. Had to throttle a bit to get RPM up till it steady at 2,500 rpm. I just want to fix that I can fire it up quickly and go rather than struggling to start.

I wonder in the past, I rode scooter 65mph on highway to work (30 min away both ways several time) and does it cause issue with valve?

I was wondering if Valves need lapping and will it fix the air leak issue?

Let me know