Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2014, 09:20 PM   #1

Hi-Bird 200 build and help

Ok, so I bought this pile for $200 with a clean title and a Fulmer ADV helmet. After cleaning the carb (and putting the slide in the right way) it fired right up.

It has the inverted forks and front and rear discs. But for only having only 950 miles on it, it's cosmetically trashed.

I want to do a poor man's supermoto with this thing. It has 36 hole hubs, so I just need some 17" rims.

My biggest hang up is body panels. I can't find any or any suggestions for substitutions.

Here is some pics. Stock, tore down, and tore down with a new UFO front fender.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (94.8 KB, 171 views)

Old 02-10-2014, 09:26 PM   #2

Here it is torn down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (96.2 KB, 167 views)

Old 02-10-2014, 09:28 PM   #3

And stock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (100.1 KB, 170 views)

Old 02-11-2014, 12:14 AM   #4

May I suggest you consider a pair of 18-inch wheels, instead of 17-inch wheels? If you choose this option, you only need to convert the front wheel, instead of both wheels.

You can use Zongshen ZS200GY-2 spokes to convert your front wheel. The ZS200GY-2 has an 18-inch front wheel which uses the same spokes as your Hibird motorcycle. You can lace the Zongshen spokes to a suitable, 18-inch rim. If you can't find ZS200GY-2 spokes, you can shorten your stock spokes to the appropriate length, and thread the ends with the correct die.

You can purchase the body plastic for your Hibird motorcycle from the Chinese Taobao website, or Roketa.com.

http://www.roketa.com/product/parts_...S%20ASSEMBLY(3)

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-11-2014, 07:46 AM   #5

i am in the process of SMing my shineray with ninja 250 wheels... i got both the front and rear, discs, and cush drive hub all for $115 from ebay...they are 16" rims...not sure how much they need modded yet....lol

Old 02-11-2014, 11:49 AM   #6

I'd use the stock side panels and rear fender, ditch the tank cover and use a SM front fender (like a Polisport, rather than that UFO). You could murder it out and enjoy it.

X2 on an 18" front rim. Far less work, yet still achieves the look.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-11-2014, 01:37 PM   #7

Yeah, I hate the tank cover. Any suggestions on a replacement tank? The seat looks terrible too.

I'm not opposed to using 18s. How wide of a rim can I get away with on the back?

Old 02-11-2014, 11:13 PM   #8

Not sure, but I'd stick with the stock width for now, and perhaps lace the same width onto the front, so you could run the same size tires front and rear.

Try the stock tank without the shrouds and recover the seat. Do you plan to black everything out?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-12-2014, 12:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerbracing View Post
Yeah, I hate the tank cover. Any suggestions on a replacement tank? The seat looks terrible too.

I'm not opposed to using 18s. How wide of a rim can I get away with on the back?
You can install a wider rear tire just so long as it doesn't rub the drive chain. Measure the distance from your rear tire to the drive chain. Divide that distance by 1/2, then subtract another 1/2-inch for safety. You can determine the maximum size of the rear tire by doubling the remaining measurement, and adding it to the width of the current tire. Once you know the maximum tire size, you can choose a rim suitable for that tire size.

However, I think you are wise to stick with the original rim sizes. Changing both rims will almost double the cost of your conversion. Also, I would keep the front wheel narrower than the rear wheel. If the front wheel is as wide, or wider than the rear wheel, steering becomes more difficult, as if you were trying to push a plow. This situation is not conducive to good handling, especially for a supermoto bike.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #10

I am going to trim up the back of the UFO fender and see what it looks like. I am going for all white body with carbon fiber turn signals and mirrors. Also going to paint the rims black.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:50 PM   #11

Sounds like a good look. You might also consider trimming the front of the fender, so it ends closer to the top of the tire, rather than extending beyond it.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:48 PM   #12

I'll bolt it back up and do some tape lines on it maybe this weekend.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:50 PM   #13

Gonna have to do some trim work, but it came with a tucked taillight & plate holder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (96.9 KB, 138 views)

Old 02-16-2014, 01:29 AM   #14

I'd lose that lower fender; I've removed a few of them. It's easy to make a simple taillight and plate holder that bolts to the back of the subframe. There's usually a tab at the rear of the subframe that you can use for mounting.

I've installed two of these so far: http://www.ebay.com/itm/28-LED-Motor...3226f7&vxp=mtr

Old 02-16-2014, 08:20 PM   #15

Yeah, I'll clamp it down and make some cut lines. Still need to figure out some side plastic and a better looking tank. I may need to relocate the starter solenoid. Oh, and color scheme has changed to all black.

As far as the tail section goes, the factory katoom one is awesome. I'm going to try to use the bird's socket to retain the factory plug. The bracket has enough side meat to run my carbon fiber turn signals.