Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2016, 07:19 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by lprewitt View Post
We have a dealer here in Missouri advertising on CL for Hawks at $1699. I don't know how good the dealer is or reputation but seems like a fair price. However, I don't know if that is assembled. They do have one in stock apparently.
If that's assembled with tag and tax good price.

Old 09-17-2016, 12:50 PM   #32

I went and looked at the blue bike, and at $1250, there's no way I wouldn't buy new. The speedometer needle that was broken off actually just spun in circles as i rode it. It died while idling a couple times, plastics were all scraped up. But I'm glad I got to ride one

Old 09-17-2016, 08:38 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95C1500 View Post
I'm a 270 pound guy as well so that's great to hear. What kind of gas mileage are you getting out of your bike?

I've watched countless YouTube videos on these bikes so far haha
some good tubes out there. funny thing, haven't checked the mileage as i've been taking a lot of cross state fishing trips, 120-170 miles, haven't needed to worry bout filling up and i'm running faaaaast for quite a while, then slooooow down to the water through the various fire roads, trails etc. just off the top i would guesss getting somewhere around 70mpg, thats just a guess timate all i know is ride most of the day and i usually need to add a gallon or so when i'm ready to head back out the next day . btw, running stock carb/aircleaner and exhaust- i like nice and quiet except for surprising deer LOL, which here in the ozarks, happens a LOT.
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 09-17-2016, 09:23 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeerAtlas View Post
some good tubes out there. funny thing, haven't checked the mileage as i've been taking a lot of cross state fishing trips, 120-170 miles, haven't needed to worry bout filling up and i'm running faaaaast for quite a while, then slooooow down to the water through the various fire roads, trails etc. just off the top i would guesss getting somewhere around 70mpg, thats just a guess timate all i know is ride most of the day and i usually need to add a gallon or so when i'm ready to head back out the next day . btw, running stock carb/aircleaner and exhaust- i like nice and quiet except for surprising deer LOL, which here in the ozarks, happens a LOT.
That's good to hear! It sure beats the 13 I get in my truck haha. I'm the opposite, I like LOUD vehicles. Someone (motocheez I think) said it best, "They should hear you because they sure as hell won't see you".

Old 09-17-2016, 10:20 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyclelove View Post
If that's assembled with tag and tax good price.
Definitely not with tax. Pay that at the DMV. About a 3 hour drive from me, otherwise i would check it out.

Old 09-18-2016, 01:56 PM   #36

I'm getting waay ahead of myself here. I really like the Hawk so I do plan on getting one. I've been looking into all of the upgrades for these bikes (carb, jets, sprockets, chain, etc...) and I've read so many threads, and watched so many videos that my head hurts.

Carb
I believe I read somewhere that someone was able to get the bike to run great at speed by leaving the carb alone and changing the rear sprocket to a 45t. Is there any truth to this? If not, tuning the carb will be one of the first things I do. As far as rejetting the stock carb or swapping in a mikuni carb, I don't know what's best for me. I'm assuming I'll have to get the bike and see for myself what it needs and if that's the case, I need some direction on what jets to get off ebay. Motocheez used these on his stock carb but what about pilot jets? Anyone have a link to a #30 pilot jet (which is what most people in my area run them at)? A link to a Mikuni rhat they used that has been awesome and problem free would be nice too.

As far as sprockets go, I have no problem replacing both front and rear. If I were to just replace the front, would the chain need to be shortened? Just the rear?

The carb and finding the jets that will work with each carb is what's got me frsutrated. Any help would be appreciated.

I've got a red one to go look at this weekend. If I like it, I'll offer him $1000, if he says no, I'll walk.

Old 09-18-2016, 02:19 PM   #37

Quote:
I'm getting waay ahead of myself here. I really like the Hawk so I do plan on getting one. I've been looking into all of the upgrades for these bikes (carb, jets, sprockets, chain, etc...) and I've read so many threads, and watched so many videos that my head hurts.

Carb
I believe I read somewhere that someone was able to get the bike to run great at speed by leaving the carb alone and changing the rear sprocket to a 45t. Is there any truth to this? If not, tuning the carb will be one of the first things I do. As far as rejetting the stock carb or swapping in a mikuni carb, I don't know what's best for me. I'm assuming I'll have to get the bike and see for myself what it needs and if that's the case, I need some direction on what jets to get off ebay. Motocheez used these on his stock carb but what about pilot jets? Anyone have a link to a #30 pilot jet (which is what most people in my area run them at)? A link to a Mikuni rhat they used that has been awesome and problem free would be nice too.

As far as sprockets go, I have no problem replacing both front and rear. If I were to just replace the front, would the chain need to be shortened? Just the rear?

The carb and finding the jets that will work with each carb is what's got me frsutrated. Any help would be appreciated.

I've got a red one to go look at this weekend. If I like it, I'll offer him $1000, if he says no, I'll walk.
I prefer Mikuni's over Keihan's for just one reason: Easy to find jets. And easier to tune. The other two things holding this engine down are, air box too restrictive, and a truly terrible exhaust system. It doesn't look terrible, the problems are in the inside. The head pipe's insides are the absolute worst for restriction I've ever seen. Lawn mowers have a less restrictive exhaust than this.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:30 PM   #38

I'll probably do the airbox mod when I get it since it's easy enough to do, but I'll wait a little while on the exhaust. And a Mikuni carb would be great, I'd love to get one but for teh time being, if I can make the stock carb work good enough that I can ride it and not have starting/high speed fueling issues, I'd rather do that.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:35 PM   #39

Mine must be a good one. Stock except for a 17t front sprocket. Starts without choke most mornings. Runs 60 easily. Only problemsupposed have been spokes and gas tank. Spokes were my fault for not checking thm.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:58 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldric1 View Post
Mine must be a good one. Stock except for a 17t front sprocket. Starts without choke most mornings. Runs 60 easily. Only problemsupposed have been spokes and gas tank. Spokes were my fault for not checking thm.
That's good to hear. I hope whichever one I get will be like that

Old 09-18-2016, 04:33 PM   #41

Quote:

Carb

Depends on how hot to sell. 761 kilomiles, not bad looks good, good to judge it on site. You may need to come up from your grand. May want to meet you in Middle but it's always a good tactic with the 1000 offer. But with so little miles the price won't fall too much. Ask about all the usual subject such as has the oil been changed etc. Also check out the plastics , you know how brittle it is , check for evidence of lay downs (offs as some would say). This is possible bargain ing chips.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 09-18-2016, 05:16 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
Depends on how hot to sell. 761 kilomiles, not bad looks good, good to judge it on site. You may need to come up from your grand. May want to meet you in Middle but it's always a good tactic with the 1000 offer. But with so little miles the price won't fall too much. Ask about all the usual subject such as has the oil been changed etc. Also check out the plastics , you know how brittle it is , check for evidence of lay downs (offs as some would say). This is possible bargain ing chips.
I was going to use the fact that I could go pick one up in town for $10 less brand new as a negotiating point haha. Wait, actually about $100 more haha. He's reduced the price in the ad. But yes, I'll ask about all of it

Old 09-18-2016, 05:24 PM   #43

I put 17/45 sprockets on mine with stock carb and exhaust. It'll do 60 with no wind, and maybe faster if I hugged the tank. I'm a long torsoed 6'2" so basically a giant airbrake.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:30 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic View Post
I put 17/45 sprockets on mine with stock carb and exhaust. It'll do 60 with no wind, and maybe faster if I hugged the tank. I'm a long torsoed 6'2" so basically a giant airbrake.
What chain did you go with? How much did you have to shortn it?

Old 09-18-2016, 06:31 PM   #45

Quote:
What chain did you go with? How much did you have to shortn it?
Motocheez told me with the 17 45 combo stock chain should be fine for a while with no links taken off.