Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2016, 06:16 PM   #1

easy as pie in Kansas

Bought my Hawk in Nebraska, finally received my MSO in the mail, went to the DMV to find out no inspection was necessary with the MSO, $163 later walked out with registration and a new plate, I'll get the title in the mail in a couple weeks from the state of KS. The lady at the DMV did say it was a weird VIN#

Old 07-19-2016, 08:25 PM   #2

That is good to know. I didn't think Kansas would be too picky.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:38 AM   #3

Congrats Muddymopar! Enjoy the bike.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-24-2018, 11:57 PM   #4

Please help

can you register a magician in Kansas?? Please help

Old 04-06-2018, 06:46 PM   #5

well people today I went to register mine and because Kansas has now updated their systems for vehicle registration the bike is classified as a dirt bike only and cannot be Road legalized anymore.

Old 04-28-2018, 05:36 AM   #6

**UPDATE**

Well after 2 months of fighting with the tag office, i decided to take it to the highway patrol office, they inspected it and gave me a piece of paper stating that it was in fact street legal, cost $20 for the inspection, and I got my title and tags for the bike finally. All you will need is the MSO and a bill of sale for the bike.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:49 PM   #7

Head Scratching Suing for Title with 2nd Owner MCO/MSO in Shawnee Co.

Beware of private interstate sales if seller has only an MCO. To be titled in Kansas, the seller must first title the bike in their state. I drove 200 miles on a promise of "clean title" only to find the only document was the 1st owner MCO. I bought the bike knowing I had a DMV headache coming. Interestingly, but not for everyone, I've now filed my first civil suit, "pro-se" or self-represented. It cost a couple hundred bucks and about 30 hours of time figuring out how to be in line with the rules of the court, but hopefully once the seller ignores or responds favorably to the required summons, I get a judge to tell DMV to product a title. Will follow-up in August.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:36 AM   #8

Topeka Hawk Bought in OK Finally Titled

Well the August follow-up was optimistic! Actually took 115 days to go through Kansas' "Quiet Title" process. One problem was that filing the original "suit", I interpreted the law as OK to move forward to a judge's decision if the seller ignored the notification by certified mail (through the Sheriff's Dept). A Kansas DOR attorney worked with me, through the mail and a couple of phone calls, indicating I needed to also have the seller sign a statement waiving any interest in the vehicle. I drafted it up myself, pretty much like a bill of sale after the bill of sale! That finally got the judge's final decision, allowing a KHP VIN inspection, and finally tag and title. I'm posting here and on one other thread from a Salina owner who hit some snags, offering to help Hawk owners, especially Kansans, through the process should you find yourself in a similar DMV nightmare. Lessons learned: 1st owner ONLY with MCO (that first Hawk owner MUST title in their state before selling to avoid the mess), Out of state titles OK, even salvage, just need Highway Patrol VIN Inspections. Future buying will probably be limited to in-state clean titles.