Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2017, 06:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cylinderwonder View Post
I thought that I read recently that the BMW G650GS would no longer be made for American importing in 2018?
I found it - being discontinued :( http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/bm...or-2017#page-3

It's a shame as I thought it was an interesting platform. I don't quite Get BMW's GS offerings; they've got three bikes all around the same displacement. I guess it didn't make sense to them, either.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:13 PM   #17

I had a BMW 650 thumper back when it was called the G650GS...about 5 years ago. Mine was assembled in China. Of course there was much anguish from the BMW die hards...Chinese junk and such. Interesting enough, the Chinese bikes seemed to have fewer problems than those assembled in the 'old country'. Specifically, the water pump shaft seemed to be machined just ever so slightly off center and would start to leak. That was a royal bitch to fix and BMW refused to admit any fault. My bike was completely problem free.

Now Ducati and Triumph assemble bikes in China.

Peter Y.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
I had a BMW 650 thumper back when it was called the G650GS...about 5 years ago. Mine was assembled in China. Of course there was much anguish from the BMW die hards...Chinese junk and such. Interesting enough, the Chinese bikes seemed to have fewer problems than those assembled in the 'old country'. Specifically, the water pump shaft seemed to be machined just ever so slightly off center and would start to leak. That was a royal bitch to fix and BMW refused to admit any fault. My bike was completely problem free.

Peter Y.
I'm aware that it's normal for special interest forums to gather problem threads; we're here to help each other after all, but the ADVrider BMW threads scare the life out of me. And people say CB's are unreliable.

Exploding wheel bearings, failed fuel injectors...it's pretty interesting reading.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post

Peter Y.
Peter, I had an 2006 F650GS single for a couple of years. It was a versatile bike but never bonded with it.

I believe BMW has interest in 2 Chinese factories that built the G650 engines. I wonder what will happen to them.

jb

Old 08-03-2017, 01:59 PM   #20

Try the google for BMW china and you will have lots of info to view. You can also add motorcycle in the mix to get more info.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:46 AM   #21

The F650/G650 motors were first built by a Taiwanese company, then production was moved to Loncin in China. BMW set up their own production line at Loncin staffed with BMW engineers and QC staff.

You can tell which BMW motor was made in China by the color. The Chinese ones are black. I don't know why, but BMW eventually moved the 650 single motor production line back to Germany a few years ago.

I owned a 2006 F650GS (thumper) for a few years. It was a good bike.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Dan's Motorcycle Blog - "Lost? I'm not lost. I'm just exploring. . ."

Old 08-16-2017, 06:12 AM   #22

Found this on Facebook page. What do you guys think? I kinda like the looks of it

Old 08-16-2017, 11:11 AM   #23

Crying It looks nice, but??????

It looks very modern and updated, but does it still have the same old, out-dated, mechanical, uber maintenance and unreliable engine, transmission and the rest of the running gear?????
Function is a lot more important to me than cosmetics!!!!
Time will tell. You can go first!

Old 08-16-2017, 02:49 PM   #24

have them ship me one to try out. i'll let you know how it performs.

Old 08-16-2017, 03:31 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cylinderwonder View Post
but does it still have the same old, out-dated, mechanical, uber maintenance and unreliable engine, transmission and the rest of the running gear?????
Not sure where you get this idea. Both my RX3's are OHC, fuel injected, shift like a dream and have proven to be very reliable. Doesn't sound to outdated to me.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350