Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2024, 10:17 PM   #1

Doh! New Hawk DLX ignition help

Hello everyone, been lurking until I got my bike and love all the information I’ve gotten from you. I received my 2023 RPS Hawk DLX a few days ago, took my time building it, locktite on every bolt, new oil, spark plug, tubes ims shift lever. I took a few rides around the neighborhood while I wait for the MCO. That being said, today while I was cruising around my neighborhood the bike completely died. No gauges or ability to kick start.

On the roadside I started with the battery, used the toolkit that came with the bike because I did not ride prepared for this issue. Battery looked fine so I started tracing wires and found the starter solenoid had a very loose negative terminal as well as a burnt boot. It looked like a dog chewed on it. I tried my best roadside to reattach the negative lead but alas nothing happened. Pushes the bike home.

Once I got home I found the 15a power fuse to be blown. I proceeded to trouble shoot for hours and the fuse blew every time until I isolated the connector from the ignition right behind the headlight.

Now I’m at a loss as to how to proceed. I’m admittedly very new to the hawk and want to love this bike so any direction or help is invaluable.

Old Yesterday, 03:05 PM   #2

We’ll we know there’s a direct short to ground somewhere, but where? I have a 21’ DLX and noticed my starter solenoid was never attached to the tabs it was just free floating until I put it on right. With that thought in mine that could be where the short happened. Your going to have to look close in that area and the wires that connect to the solenoid. And probably going to have to get a new solenoid. Such a new bike you wouldn’t have any rub to ground problems. Welcome and I have a suspicion the problem is going to be staring at you. My thoughts…

Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM   #3

Another EFI nightmare. I will post another warning to help avoid this repetitive issue.

Buy a Chinese bike with a carburetor. EFI is GREAT when it works, but Chinese bikes have no support, no easy access to changing the enrichment curve to get away from the ultralean issue, and no aftermarket parts that you can look up and replace/upgrade.

At least with a carburetor, you don't have EFI system death issues. So you have to rejet. But at least it is running.

LOOK. You pays yer money and you takes yer chances. LOTS of folks get good EFI systems. Lots of them...

Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM   #4

Hey J4fun, thanks for the response. I could post pics here but I am starting to believe the solenoid is in fact the issue. There had to be major sparking because the negative connector looks like a dog chewed on it and the cover is all blown out. I have isolated it to the ignition by disconnecting every connector and going on by one. The ignition is the only one that pops the 15a power fuse whether or not the solenoid is connected. Luckily it’s a fairly basic circuit so I will find the problem in time.

Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Another EFI nightmare. I will post another warning to help avoid this repetitive issue.

Buy a Chinese bike with a carburetor. EFI is GREAT when it works, but Chinese bikes have no support, no easy access to changing the enrichment curve to get away from the ultralean issue, and no aftermarket parts that you can look up and replace/upgrade.

At least with a carburetor, you don't have EFI system death issues. So you have to rejet. But at least it is running.

LOOK. You pays yer money and you takes yer chances. LOTS of folks get good EFI systems. Lots of them...
I have my reasons for choosing an EFI bike and it’s my choice to make. I’ve never actually read about this issue specifically so I’d say it’s a very isolated incident. You can play team carb vs team EFI and that’s totally your right but your comment in no way helps and is purely opinion.

Isolated incidents don’t define a product, if that were true then no one should eat fast food because people have gotten sick or drive vehicles because accidents cause death. Enjoy your bike and ride safe man, don’t stress on stuff that doesn’t affect you.