Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2008, 11:04 PM   #31

I manged to get out yesterday and mess with the bike again.

First I took the cardboard off the back of a notepad and wrapped it
around the shock to see if it was actually rubbing. I would have been
able to see it in the cardboard. It didn't rub so I decided to run it as
it was. I also pulled the carb and turned the mixture screw out another
quarter turn (1 & 3/4 turns). I have to say that it is running a ton better
now. It has a Champion plug in it and I would like to replace it with a
NGK one day soon. The only problem I came up with was that the chain
now rubs the under side of the swing arm with the chain tensioner. I
thought about removing the tensioner but haven't yet.

A comparison pic of the two different shocks...

Misc pics...

The swing arm...

A couple of decals. I removed the front and rear decals from the Hot Wheels
set. I didn't like them.

I also had to bend the mounting tab on the kickstand to keep it from hitting
the swingarm.

This thing sits a lot higher now. I am probably going to have to adjust the
shock some as it is very stiff at the moment. I don't have the right tool to
adjust it. Man due I hate anodised aluminum!!! It makes me feel as if I am
going to slide forward into the bars. This will be the bike that I learn to
wheelie on. Fourty years old and I rode my first motorized wheelie intentionally
just yesterday. Did it twice as a matter of fact. This thing is awesome! As
Kelly has said. I can see myself getting hurt on this thing... :twisted:
Now I just need to get to a field and practice.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:04 AM   #32

ImEazy

ImEazy,
it looks alot better now, cool, very cool .
You could get one of those high in the middle seats to keep from sliding forward too ? Yes I know, Funds . Hurry, sell her now
I am 86-ing my tensioners altogether now too. Although you could reverse the spring and have it work the other way too ? I saw that done on the primary chain on my buddies FLH and it works the same either way . Although even with the amount of travel I don't see why it really needs one anyway . I watched that yesterday on the Lifan Hip-hop bike when I was jumping around a bit or braking very hard and the chain runs fine with or without it . I did not want it rubbing the swingarm so I put the chain to run under the tensioner riding spring loaded to the swingarm and it was just fine too . I may just keep it just like that . Will keep an eye on it, I am new to this stuff .

Yeh, Harley's and Buells are pigs, your right, but they are fun as heck .
Glad you got a nice MZ that works well for you . I bet it was hard to part with the Buell , probably harder than parting with your daughter 8O

Cheers, we'll chat later, have a good one, go find a field now .

Kelly5150 out

Old 05-03-2008, 06:10 AM   #33

ImEazy

ImEazy ,
Just wanted to comment on your " State of the Art " bike stand you got there . Was that Buell friendly too ?
How well does that green and white jack go up and down ? Do you make your bike adjustments after or before it falls off that jack ? Does it come with or without paint in it ???
I bet it works better than mine though . I have dropped more than one bike off mine making repairs . Last time it cost me a new brake lever on the Hoop-di hip-hop Micheal bike build when I walked away with the motor out of it to grab a tool out of my box that was just out of reach of course :x . I ordered a fully adjustable folding brake lever after that thank you very much . I even started putting a tie-down on now , but I am sooo lazy .
Just giving you a hard time . I took forever to actaully buy a real jack too , and maybe you have one , for the other bikes already anwyay . I built the entire Norton with No jack at all ? I cannot honestly tell you how I managed that now after owning a nice jack for a few years now ????
That's mind boggling come to think of it, the Norton weighs 460 LBS with gas and oil in it now ? How the 8O !

Cheers, kellyout

Old 05-04-2008, 06:51 AM   #34

Yo ImEazy

Yo ImEazy,
did you catch that race last night ? Not sure if you get that Channel ?
That was a cool race, unless your Dale JR, he got hosed big time. I wouldn't have wanted to be Kyle " I wreck everybody to win " Bush last night night trying to get out of Virginia . Even your HotWheels super bad bike wouldn't have made that journey safe !
I think the last perosn to try to leave Virginia with mad hostile Confederates on thier tail was General Grant , and I hear that did not go well either that day . I hope they clubbed Bush with a stick last night while he cowardly escaped the South , again . That guy is out of control . that's ok, paybacks a you know what I just wish Steven Wallace could have gotten a bigger face-full of Helmet the other night at the National race and pulled his scrawney butt inside the car and whipped on him like a good Southern boy does best .

So did you get out and ride yesterday ? I never made it out to the garage even yesterday ? Went shopping instead and to pick up Colas ashes at the Vets , then the race was on so I fiddle screwed my day completely off yesterday actually . Oh well, today is another day, will be riding and wrenching for sure . No race today so what choice is there besides mowing the lawn, and I hate that so it aint happeneing . I like mowing my lawn with Knobby tires , now that's what a good man mows with .
John Deer aint got nothing on my dirt bikes 8O
It is supposed to be nice today, sunny , yeh right . It rained like a mother yesterday here , kinda cold too , was nice to get home and be out of that crap yesterday . I was going to ride but I just couldn't get my motivation up enough to go out and freeze . I would have sucked more water in my carb than I care too anyway , it was raining that hard . Thank God Almighty Nascar saved me from having to go out in that stuff . I love night races . We just sat around watching the race and deep fried some Oysters and Prawns Tempura style last night instead .

I have been thinking that chain roller thing through since yesterday on our bikes ? I am going to reverse that spring today and see if that will do what I want it to do ? I think it will . I drew it out on paper and it should work exactly the same as the way it is suppoed to be run on those swingarms normally. The physics are the same that is , the geometry of it is backwards than the normal way but it should keep the chain tight either way it is sprung, plus keeps it off the swingarm reguardless too . Will let you know how I manage the set-up though or if I can do it at all the way I want to ? Right now with the chain running under the roller, it works just fine , but there is some play that I would like to take out of the chain when jumping, so I will work on that reverse sprung roller thing today .
I am a Pollock and so was Albert Instien the Scientist , so I think I can handle it I am indian too , so if it fails I will just smash it with my Tomahawk ! Either way I will Gitter-Done 8O

Looks like your bike could use a bath 8O Do I need to send you some soap too ?

Cheers, Kelly out

Old 05-04-2008, 09:36 PM   #35

Re: ImEazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly5150
ImEazy,
it looks alot better now, cool, very cool .
You could get one of those high in the middle seats to keep from sliding forward too ? Yes I know, Funds . Hurry, sell her now
Naw I like the pocket in the seat I have. Those tall seats look like they
would cause me to slide forward even more?

Quote:
I am 86-ing my tensioners altogether now too. Although you could reverse the spring and have it work the other way too ? I saw that done on the primary chain on my buddies FLH and it works the same either way . Although even with the amount of travel I don't see why it really needs one anyway . I watched that yesterday on the Lifan Hip-hop bike when I was jumping around a bit or braking very hard and the chain runs fine with or without it . I did not want it rubbing the swingarm so I put the chain to run under the tensioner riding spring loaded to the swingarm and it was just fine too . I may just keep it just like that . Will keep an eye on it, I am new to this stuff .
I tried to get this thing to work in every possible way but no luck.

Quote:
Yeh, Harley's and Buells are pigs, your right, but they are fun as heck .
Glad you got a nice MZ that works well for you . I bet it was hard to part with the Buell , probably harder than parting with your daughter 8O
Naw, not hard at all. As mentioned my interests changed. I owned the
Buell for twelve years and only had 1,7xx miles on it. It was hardly
broken in. Being a single dad limits my ability to get out and ride.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:46 PM   #36

Re: ImEazy

Quote:
ImEazy ,
Just wanted to comment on your " State of the Art " bike stand you got there . Was that Buell friendly too ?
How well does that green and white jack go up and down ? Do you make your bike adjustments after or before it falls off that jack ? Does it come with or without paint in it ???
I bet it works better than mine though . I have dropped more than one bike off mine making repairs . Last time it cost me a new brake lever on the Hoop-di hip-hop Micheal bike build when I walked away with the motor out of it to grab a tool out of my box that was just out of reach of course :x . I ordered a fully adjustable folding brake lever after that thank you very much . I even started putting a tie-down on now , but I am sooo lazy .
Just giving you a hard time . I took forever to actaully buy a real jack too , and maybe you have one , for the other bikes already anwyay . I built the entire Norton with No jack at all ? I cannot honestly tell you how I managed that now after owning a nice jack for a few years now ????
That's mind boggling come to think of it, the Norton weighs 460 LBS with gas and oil in it now ? How the 8O !

Cheers, kellyout
HAhaha... can you believe that bucket was full of dill pickle slices?
I got it from my last job, cause it had a lid. I have others that do not.
This thing works great. The bike is very stable and I haven't had it
even move let alone fall off of it yet. I can't complain as free is always
nice.

I do have a nice Craftsman motorcycle jack (the yellow one) that
I bought myself a couple of years ago for Christmas. I use it on the
big bikes, but find it overkill on the pit bike. This has to be the best
gift I have ever given myself!

I couldn't imagine building/rebuilding a bike without a stand. 8O

Old 05-04-2008, 10:25 PM   #37

Re: Yo ImEazy

Quote:
Yo ImEazy,
did you catch that race last night ? Not sure if you get that Channel ?
That was a cool race, unless your Dale JR, he got hosed big time. I wouldn't have wanted to be Kyle " I wreck everybody to win " Bush last night night trying to get out of Virginia . Even your HotWheels super bad bike wouldn't have made that journey safe !
I think the last perosn to try to leave Virginia with mad hostile Confederates on thier tail was General Grant , and I hear that did not go well either that day . I hope they clubbed Bush with a stick last night while he cowardly escaped the South , again . That guy is out of control . that's ok, paybacks a you know what I just wish Steven Wallace could have gotten a bigger face-full of Helmet the other night at the National race and pulled his scrawney butt inside the car and whipped on him like a good Southern boy does best .
Yeah I always try and watch all the locally televised races. Yes Kyle is
quite the young driver, but he has a lot of maturing to do. He's a punk
in my opinion. Bout all I'm gonna say on that one.

I'm not a big Jr. fan either although I do find it funny that he had to go
to Hendrick's to get the job done. Couldn't afford to put good equiptment
under his butt at DEI? Pretty sad really.

Quote:
So did you get out and ride yesterday ? I never made it out to the garage even yesterday ? Went shopping instead and to pick up Colas ashes at the Vets , then the race was on so I fiddle screwed my day completely off yesterday actually . Oh well, today is another day, will be riding and wrenching for sure . No race today so what choice is there besides mowing the lawn, and I hate that so it aint happeneing . I like mowing my lawn with Knobby tires , now that's what a good man mows with .
John Deer aint got nothing on my dirt bikes 8O
It is supposed to be nice today, sunny , yeh right . It rained like a mother yesterday here , kinda cold too , was nice to get home and be out of that crap yesterday . I was going to ride but I just couldn't get my motivation up enough to go out and freeze . I would have sucked more water in my carb than I care too anyway , it was raining that hard . Thank God Almighty Nascar saved me from having to go out in that stuff . I love night races . We just sat around watching the race and deep fried some Oysters and Prawns Tempura style last night instead .
Naw, haven't gotten out in a couple of days. Chilly wet weather here as
well. Maybe tomorrow? Watching the news right now keeping fingers
crossed.

Quote:
I have been thinking that chain roller thing through since yesterday on our bikes ? I am going to reverse that spring today and see if that will do what I want it to do ? I think it will . I drew it out on paper and it should work exactly the same as the way it is suppoed to be run on those swingarms normally. The physics are the same that is , the geometry of it is backwards than the normal way but it should keep the chain tight either way it is sprung, plus keeps it off the swingarm reguardless too . Will let you know how I manage the set-up though or if I can do it at all the way I want to ? Right now with the chain running under the roller, it works just fine , but there is some play that I would like to take out of the chain when jumping, so I will work on that reverse sprung roller thing today .
I am a Pollock and so was Albert Instien the Scientist , so I think I can handle it I am indian too , so if it fails I will just smash it with my Tomahawk ! Either way I will Gitter-Done 8O
I look forward to see what you come up with. I tried reversing the spring
on mine, but no luck. Can't even remove it because the chain will rub the
prong for the tensioner. I will keep thinking.

Maybe something like this? I'm sure the swingarm costs more than I have
in my whole bike... laughs.

Quote:
Looks like your bike could use a bath 8O Do I need to send you some soap too ?

Cheers, Kelly out
ROFL... naw I like the dirty look. It makes the machine look well used and
not just couped up in the garage as it really is. Actually I do want to give
it a bath, but am holding off until I can get everything just the way I want
it. I plan to replace the sprockets and chain as well as the tires and tubes
once funds permit. I have a ton of things to sell to try and fund these
puchases. Just have to make time to take pics and get it all listed.

Here is a pic of the tensioner without the chain running over it. You should
be able to see what I am saying by the chain will hit the tensioner post if
I remove it from this pic.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:08 AM   #38

ImEazy

ImEazy ,
Kickstand idea for ya to lengthen that on your bike.

You could cut that exhisting stand off at the bottom a couple inches shorter than it is, then put a length of 1/2" OD pipe in it, bend a new bottom tab onto the 1/2" pipe prior to shoving it up into the kcikstand pipe , a pile of JB weld in it or a couple little nuts and bolts to mend the seam . Should work and 1/2" is what my ID of the kickstand pipe is on one of mine I destroyed on a prior build . Just a cheap thought ? I have many cheap thoughts so this is easy stuff to come up with here
Or buy a new stand , but I know money is always an issue .

Cheers, Kelly

Old 05-05-2008, 06:44 PM   #39

Well I was out in the garage just a bit ago. I set the tensioner up as kelly
said, but ran into two problems. The chain was still rubbing in two places.
White arrows in the pic...

Soooo I decided to adjust the shock and also bent the spring on the tensioner
a bit so it wasn't as tight on the chain. Between those two mods it doesn't
touch the swingarm while I am on the bike. Sorry no pic. It is back to the
way it was originally.

As for the kickstand I will deal with it until I come up with some funds.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:03 PM   #40

ImEazy

Well, did you get any riding in though ? It looks dirtier so you must have .
Well I guess our bikes are different enough that not all mods are going to work out the same . Such is life .

Cheerios , Kelly out

Old 05-14-2008, 07:37 PM   #41

Well sorry the long silence. I've been sick as a dog for a while now. Man, I
made it all the way through winter and end up with a spring time cold.
This has to be the worst. Kids have been taking advantage left and right
and I haven't had the energy to really care or to make it out to the garage.

The day after my last post I went out to ride the bike. Everything was going
good until I had to shut it off for a moment. No kill switch so I just pop the
clutch to shut it off. Well when I went to restart it... nothin. I just about wore
myself out trying to get it to re-fire. Went through everything and have no
clue why it wouldn't start again? I gave up and haven't touched it since.

I won a footpeg bar with pegs and longer kickstand ($16) off ebay and
expect it to arrive Friday. The reason I really wanted this was for the peg
bar. The one that is on the bike has straight pegs and not the angled ones
like the last pitbikes I had? The pegs don't have any springs on them and
I just about biffed it the last time on the bike. I jumped a small hill in the
yard and my foot came off the peg, it folded up and I had nothing to land
on. Not good. Hopefully this weekend I will be back up and ridin. I'll keep
you all posted.

Here's a pic of the bar I won (yes I actually won two items bidding now)...

Old 05-14-2008, 08:48 PM   #42

Hang in there

IMeazy ,
glad your still kicking
Hope your bike starts for you easilly after clutch killing it . Not the best method , but hey, whatever works. Whats easier on your bike is just pull the choke up , it will die most certain . Less stress on your motor .

My SUNL pegs are like the no spring type too, nice pegs but dangerous . I am too lazy so far to spring them, someday I will get around to it .

Keep me posted , cheers, Kelly out

Old 05-15-2008, 01:09 PM   #43

Yeah, I would have to say that I am barely kicking for now.

The bike usually starts without any problems until the other
day. I hate using that method as well and have only done it
a couple of times. I usually just kill the petcock and let it
idle until it dies. Tried the choke thing a couple of times. It
doesn't kill it though, just idles really high. I need to remove
the carb and give it a thorough cleaning one day.

The PO gave me two kill switches with the bike. Neither
one worked? He also had rewired some of the connections
so it may be hooked up wrong? Although the wires to both
leads match color wise? I hate second hand equipment.

Them straight no springs pegs are nothing but dangerous.
I did buy a new set of pegs to put on it, but as mentioned
they were angled. Won't work. Hopefully tomorrow I will
feel well enough to get out and mess with it some more
after the UPS guy shows up.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:07 PM   #44

ImEazy

ImEazy ,

I know what it's like being sick . It sucks , and this year it got me once but it got me good and long . Cut my smoking in half !

As you know, I can Spring anything , even my dog if I want to , so I should be able to figure out the footpegs

My Gal bought me a Registered AKC Tennessee Beagle pup for my B-Day , so she has been keeping me hopping lately let me tell ya. That dog has more gusto than I will ever or ever did have. As much as I miss my recently departed pal Cola, I am enjoying a new dog now too . Doesn't make me miss the one less, just takes my mind off a little , and I am a dog person, so I need a dog around to feel American at least .

The Kill switch thing is puzzling though ? No reason that should not work ?
Obviously its wired wrong , or you have two kill switches that are bad ? Not likely that both are bad , likely neither are bad . All a kill switch is is a wire interupter anyway, so wire them oposite of what you had them wired up and you shoudl be good to go ? Or what your trying to wire them to is NOT what you should wiring them to. On your harness you should have wires for the kill switch and for electric start . Shouldn't be too difficult to figure that out for the kill switch . Wish I was there, we would have that licked in ten minutes max .
I hate used bikes too , but you have to figure all this stuff out ona new bike eventually too . It is the buying someone elses crappy work that I can't stand on a used bike . My Harley was terrible when I bought it . The guy did not even have a master link lock on the chain and let me ride it home that way . On the freeway no less 8O I made the first eight payments six months late it pissed me off so much. He was supposed to be a friend mind you . I wound up replacing the entire electrical system on the bike . He said everyhting was perfect. It died onme the first time after I rode it home . After that I learned Harley electronics 101 from scratch, self taught, reading and doing. Now I know what and how it all works . I used to let others do my electrics for any of my bikes, but no more, I dive right in and get er done . I really like to know how systems work .

Well, hope you feel better soon enougha nd can get some riding in ImEazy , am sure you need it witht he kids driving you nutts and all 8O

Cheers, Kelly out

Old 05-21-2008, 02:10 AM   #45

Well I guess replying to Kelly5150 would be a waste of my time.

As for the bike I did receive the footpeg assembly I won on ebay.
I actually went out the other day sick and all and installed it. I was
quite bummed once I got it installed as the left footpeg is bent
forward a little. I could have remove it and tried bending it straight
but didn't have the energy or patience to do so. I probably will one
day down the road. One thing I do like about this setup is that it has
a stop for the rear brake lever. I had to bend it a little to get it to hit
properly, but think it should work well. I hated the old set as the rear
brake lever hit the bar for a stop and I had to fight to get my big
clown foot over the pedal. Here is a few pics.

The individual had stated that the kickstand was probably longer than
stock. Which I had hoped, but it wasn't. Ended up being the same length.
I do plan on modifying it to make it about an inch or so longer.

I did start the bike and it fired right up so I am not sure what was going
on the other day when it wouldn't start? Now I just need to figure out the
kill switch.