Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2017, 08:34 PM   #1

Should I buy used

Hawk for sale in craigslist. Add says not running see below. Before I spend any money any thoughts as to the bikes problem, hopefully just cdi or something. If engine was to need to be replaced is one easy to locate?

Any one have any thoughts questions, out bursts etc?

Craiglist ADD BELOW

Selling my Hawk 250 by Haosen. Awesome little enduro. Rode it to and from work last summer. Lotsa fun to ride. It needs engine work, im not exactly sure what though. I was riding it in heavy rain when it quit on me. It has Less than 2,000 miles on it so it cant be anything too crazy. Clear title. Comes with 2helmets. I got it for 1400$ Asking 600$ since It needs engine related work. No matter what needs fixing you're getting a very good deal.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:39 PM   #2

I'd scoop it up for that price

Old 03-30-2017, 09:30 PM   #3

Probly something simple. First thing I would do is chase the spark. Also possible inhaled some water in the carb.

/

Old 03-30-2017, 10:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lymelizzard View Post
Hawk for sale in craigslist. Add says not running see below. Before I spend any money any thoughts as to the bikes problem, hopefully just cdi or something. If engine was to need to be replaced is one easy to locate?

Any one have any thoughts questions, out bursts etc?

Craiglist ADD BELOW

Selling my Hawk 250 by Haosen. Awesome little enduro. Rode it to and from work last summer. Lotsa fun to ride. It needs engine work, im not exactly sure what though. I was riding it in heavy rain when it quit on me. It has Less than 2,000 miles on it so it cant be anything too crazy. Clear title. Comes with 2helmets. I got it for 1400$ Asking 600$ since It needs engine related work. No matter what needs fixing you're getting a very good deal.
Yeah, I've got an outburst for you: Why haven't you bought it already?...ARH

Old 03-31-2017, 07:57 AM   #5

I would do a compression check on it before I would buy it. We recently had two members buy Hawks off of Craigslist that had burnt pistons. Not that it wasn't fixable, but if it has a bad piston or low compression you might be able to talk the guy down some more.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 03-31-2017, 11:50 AM   #6

I bought my 2015 hawk used. It had 2500 miles on it. This was the first bike I've ever bought, which was a learning experience in itself, but the bike was pretty rough and I didn't really notice issues when I bought it. I paid 750 for mine, it had a bad chain, broken exhaust, cracked fuel tank, broken tach, and broken spokes. I have put nearly what I paid for it in upgrades and fixes. The bike is way better now but it still has been having issues. i.e. my rear wheel bearing went out last week, I don't know if it was due to negligence by the last owner or just cheap bearings. I believe that the last owner really did not know what he was doing, but he did buy it from a local "scooter shop" based on the title, of which I can't find on google anymore.

All in all, if I could do it all over, I would have bought new, and did upgrades slowly, assembled the bike properly myself, and made sure everything had been looked over.

The choice is yours but be cautious, these bikes require some love and upkeep and if the owner doesn't know anything about bikes or is NOT mechanically inclined, you may get a bad bike.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:35 PM   #7

Make sure your state registers the Hawk. There are people who have purchased them and are stuck with them (unless you plan to only ride off-road) trying to unload them 'cheap!' As Jet321 stated, make sure the engine isn't a total loss; perhaps the guy ran it on the shipping oil instead of putting new oil in it? Replacement engines aren't cheap like they used be if you have to order one, and trying to rebuild one of these is pretty much an effort in futility (bringing you back to finding a complete replacement engine) unless you find a cheap Chinese off-road bike that are running well for a few hundred dollars.

That being said--on a very popular thread on advrider, a father and his son were planning to ride scooters from San Francisco to New York City. They searched for a cheap 150cc scooter for the son, and found a BMS model that wouldn't run for $150. They looked it over. The dad broke the key off in the ignition! They thought is was junk and started to leave and the desperate seller said he would sell it for $100, which they took. Got it home and it turned out it only needed a battery, and the son rode it all the way with no issues (probably a couple, but nothing catastrophic). In other words, deal him down

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-31-2017, 11:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Make sure your state registers the Hawk. There are people who have purchased them and are stuck with them (unless you plan to only ride off-road) trying to unload them 'cheap!' As Jet321 stated, make sure the engine isn't a total loss; perhaps the guy ran it on the shipping oil instead of putting new oil in it? Replacement engines aren't cheap like they used be if you have to order one, and trying to rebuild one of these is pretty much an effort in futility (bringing you back to finding a complete replacement engine) unless you find a cheap Chinese off-road bike that are running well for a few hundred dollars.

That being said--on a very popular thread on advrider, a father and his son were planning to ride scooters from San Francisco to New York City. They searched for a cheap 150cc scooter for the son, and found a BMS model that wouldn't run for $150. They looked it over. The dad broke the key off in the ignition! They thought is was junk and started to leave and the desperate seller said he would sell it for $100, which they took. Got it home and it turned out it only needed a battery, and the son rode it all the way with no issues (probably a couple, but nothing catastrophic). In other words, deal him down
We've had a poster on here who bought a used Hawk for $600. He didn't know there was an engine problem, except that it wouldn't run. Turned out the original owner had fried the piston. We recomended that he take the head off to check the piston, and it was toast. He did the work himself and the parts cost less than 50 bucks. He put it back together, and he found it to run fine...ARH

Old 04-01-2017, 02:38 PM   #9

Well I emailed the add owner with no response. I'm weary of the add because bike is in Asheville, NC and his phone number and extension are from New Jersey. Link is below.

If I hear back I will inform, if not probaly save up a little and look at enforcer new.

https://asheville.craigslist.org/mcy/6012442672.html

Old 04-01-2017, 02:54 PM   #10

If you do buy new, as bad as these guys can be (for some members--great for others), it would seem to be the place to order the Enforcer considering APSCUSA seems to be in some kind of funk.

https://www.superiorpowersports.com/category_s/145.htm

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-01-2017, 04:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
If you do buy new, as bad as these guys can be (for some members--great for others), it would seem to be the place to order the Enforcer considering APSCUSA seems to be in some kind of funk.

https://www.superiorpowersports.com/category_s/145.htm
Yeah, they were the Rockstar of 2016, now...

As the saying goes, From hero to zero
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~