Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2021, 01:19 PM   #1

2006 Yamaha FZ1

A buddy and I went for a ride yesterday. He pilots the FZ1. At the end of the day, we swapped bikes for the ride home. HOLY COW. It comes stock with 150 hp, and he's had the ECM reflashed, and the air box modded. I can't even imagine what it will be like when his pipe comes in.

It went like this....

Taking off at low speed....very nice clutch feel, smooth. Enough torque as to not need to wind it up much. First gear is noticeably tall-ish. Very docile and friendly. I was impressed.

Riding out of town at 25 mph. More rigid than my V-Strom. A firm feel in the suspension, especially noticeable being over on my elbows and wrists.

Hit the twisties. Roll it on and think of shifting into third. Not necessary as I see the tach. I'm not even close to redline. Dive into a tight twisty. Front brake is phenomenal. One finger does it all.

Hit the straightaway at the top of the grade. Jump on it. Front tire comes up in second, hit third in the air. Feel that light touch of the front tire landing on Earth. Even though first gear was tall, the mid gear ratios seemed to tighten up some. Hit fourth and stab it. Suddenly....I'm Han Solo and I just hit hyperspace. I thought I heard a Wookie. What were stars, are now streaks. Wait....that's no Wookie, it's the air box.

Glancing down I see the tach is yelling at me for more RPM's. FAR more RPM's. Instead of hitting another gear, I rolled the last of the throttle and let the motor start to scream....and the power curve angled up firmly, as the pine and cedars ripped by in a blur. The intake howl from the modded air box added to the rush. Hit one more gear....then decel. I have no idea how fast I was going when I hit the last gear, as I didn't dare take me eyes off the road.

It was so good, I almost felt like having a smoke afterwards.....

After we got home, I took Q out for a quick ride just to get grounded again.
Man....what a rush.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FZ1.jpeg (128.8 KB, 72 views)

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 08-04-2021, 02:13 PM   #2

I've got a friend with one. I havent tried riding it yet but I'm sure its light years ahead of my 82 gs1100e. .. my old bike is 50lbs heavier with about 50 less hp.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"