Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2023, 08:16 AM   #61

Yes. Nice bike but kind of heavy. It makes more sense than the huge Adv/tou bikes like Transalp and 900cc bikes!
You can easily pick up a KPX if it falls, but the "adventure sports" models are big road bikes that look kind of like a dual sport. Just a heads up.

Check out the Adventure bikes section on this forum (RX3 and RX4).

https://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=135

The RE Himi is 440lbs. KPX is under 300lbs. 440lbs is not as heavy as some of the bigger name brand Adv/tour models. but if you take any of these off road, those dual sport tires they come with will dump you. Put more aggressive tires on it. Here is an interesting video:

EDIT: I was unaware that Benneli sells their TRK502 at some CSC dealerships and maybe other places in the USA. It weighs a hefty 460lbs, but at 500cc it make a nice 46hp. Still, I would not be happy trying to pick up a 460 lb bike on the trail! I am not sure my knees could even handle it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina Rae View Post
Just when I thought it was safe to assume I had this all figured out!

A member of a FB page that I am on flat out told me to go look at a Royal Enfield Himalayan. For about the same price as an expensive China bike or used Japanese. The only Enfield I have ever heard of was the rifle!

So, low and behold. DAMN. That's a nice looking ride. It even has a compass! and 25 HP??They actually have a shop near me that sells them, under 5K!

Is it worth a look-see? Anyone have any experience with them? As I understand they are made in India now?

Last edited by Thumper; 11-15-2023 at 10:50 AM.

Old 11-14-2023, 08:36 AM   #62

Quote:
So, low and behold. DAMN. That's a nice looking ride. It even has a compass! and 25 HP??They actually have a shop near me that sells them, under 5K!

Itchy Boots on Youtube is currently testing/riding a 2024 Himalayan in India. She use to ride an older model and has ridden back roads across continents. Her ride last season and most of this season is a Honda CRF300R but she sure seems to love this new Himalayan.

Just remember when dealers quote a price it's usually before all their additional fees. Last year my wife bought a new Royal Enfield Classic 350 and the out the door price was around $1500 above MSRP.

Old 11-14-2023, 08:38 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyD View Post
Itchy Boots on Youtube is currently testing/riding a 2024 Himalayan in India. She use to ride an older model and has ridden back roads across continents. Her ride last season and most of this season is a Honda CRF300R but she sure seems to love this new Himalayan.

Just remember when dealers quote a price it's usually before all their additional fees. Last year my wife bought a new Royal Enfield Classic 350 and the out the door price was around $1500 above MSRP.
Good to know, Ill keep an eye on that!

Old 11-14-2023, 08:55 AM   #64

Quote:
Good to know, Ill keep an eye on that!
Here is a very good review of the 2024 Himi. He likes it:

Old 11-15-2023, 08:04 AM   #65

Before I got married I rode a Kawasaki KZ900, and my girl friend(later wife) wanted me to teach her how to drive it. I told her I would teach her how to drive it if she could pick it up because dropping bikes is part of learning how to drive. If you have never driven a bike, start with something light and low in power and cheap.

I started riding again about 5 years ago when I bought my Magician. I bought it to get back into riding because it was the cheapest enduro style I could get that had a comfortable for me ride height. It was a great choice for me. If I was to do it again, I would still go low price, low power to make sure I was going to keep riding.

2016 Magician 250

Old 11-15-2023, 10:35 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magician16 View Post
Before I got married I rode a Kawasaki KZ900, and my girl friend(later wife) wanted me to teach her how to drive it. I told her I would teach her how to drive it if she could pick it up because dropping bikes is part of learning how to drive. If you have never driven a bike, start with something light and low in power and cheap.

I started riding again about 5 years ago when I bought my Magician. I bought it to get back into riding because it was the cheapest enduro style I could get that had a comfortable for me ride height. It was a great choice for me. If I was to do it again, I would still go low price, low power to make sure I was going to keep riding.
The RE Himilayan lists for ~$5500. Add dealer prep, sales tax, insurance and registration, and you are well North of $6000. It is probably one of the best choices for an adventure tour bike if you plan to actually go off the pavement because of its lighter weight and unusually low center of gravity (most bikes in this class are horribly top heavy!).

But the point is that the Lifan KPR 250 will come in at more than $2000 less than that, about $3600-3800, depending. And it weighs under 280lbs dripping wet.

Also, personal property tax on the Lifan around here would be under $100. It is a 250. Bigger bikes have higher annual property tax and higher insurance premiums. It isn't just the bike you are buying! I was able to add my Templar 250 to an existing Geico plan for about $35 because I bought it outright and all I wanted was liability (financial responsibility) and uninsured motorist insurance. Finance a bike and you will be required to have comprehensive insurance, and pay much more.

I pay nearly 3 times as much in annual property tax than insurance. If you finance, you still pay both and the insurance will be significant.

Last edited by Thumper; 11-15-2023 at 12:12 PM.

Old 11-15-2023, 01:01 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
The RE Himilayan lists for ~$5500. Add dealer prep, sales tax, insurance and registration, and you are well North of $6000. It is probably one of the best choices for an adventure tour bike if you plan to actually go off the pavement because of its lighter weight and unusually low center of gravity (most bikes in this class are horribly top heavy!).

But the point is that the Lifan KPR 250 will come in at more than $2000 less than that, about $3600-3800, depending. And it weighs under 280lbs dripping wet.

Also, personal property tax on the Lifan around here would be under $100. It is a 250. Bigger bikes have higher annual property tax and higher insurance premiums. It isn't just the bike you are buying! I was able to add my Templar 250 to an existing Geico plan for about $35 because I bought it outright and all I wanted was liability (financial responsibility) and uninsured motorist insurance. Finance a bike and you will be required to have comprehensive insurance, and pay much more.

I pay nearly 3 times as much in annual property tax than insurance. If you finance, you still pay both and the insurance will be significant.

Still not wiping clean of the Lifan. The SCRAM411, is actually for sale for less than 4K. I ran a quick Progressive quote for a financed bike, and came out to about 75 for the year based on me and where I live.

The only reason I would choose the RE over the Lifan now, is that I can bring the RE back to the dealer and say, Hey, Fix this! I am not mechanical at all!

Old 11-15-2023, 02:49 PM   #68

Quote:
Still not wiping clean of the Lifan. The SCRAM411, is actually for sale for less than 4K. I ran a quick Progressive quote for a financed bike, and came out to about 75 for the year based on me and where I live.

The only reason I would choose the RE over the Lifan now, is that I can bring the RE back to the dealer and say, Hey, Fix this! I am not mechanical at all!
On the used market, you can do even better. with the new Himalayan model coming out, the used ones are dropping in price. I saw a used one with low mileage for 3800 the other day.

Bikes I've owned: Suzuki GS450T, Yamaha XS500, Honda V45 Sabre, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (2), Suzuki VX800, Kawasaki Ninja 650, Triumph TT600, Honda Superhawk, Kawasaki Concours 1000 (3, including a sidecar rig), Buell XB9R, Kawasaki Nomad 1500, Concours 14, Honda Goldwing (2), Housen Hawk, Suzuki Intruder 1400, Kawasaki KLR650, Victory V92TC.

Old 11-15-2023, 04:59 PM   #69

Quote:
Scram411 owner here - ask me anything. I bought it as a gateway drug to get back into dualsport, something at a medium price range to feel out 1. if I really did want to get out into the woods, 2. to sort out what I really wanted and needed, and 3. to do all that before dropping stupid money.
It’s as heavy as I want to go. It’s as low HP as I would ever want to go. India requires owners to keep bikes stock, with only official addons so… it’s crazy simple to get all the basics from half a million different manufactures in India who make OEM products for RE and sell overproduction on eBay, for cheap, that ship to the US crazy fast. “Well, you get what you pay for…” That’s right - a thumper that you can literally drive like everyone in India does.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51EDEC9E-2B77-400B-9CF2-329FD2AFF400.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	30392  
Honda CB350
Honda CL450
Tyrion the Pit Bike

Old 11-16-2023, 07:10 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
On the used market, you can do even better. with the new Himalayan model coming out, the used ones are dropping in price. I saw a used one with low mileage for 3800 the other day.
yes, the new ones do look amazing. Maybe Ill be ready for one someday.

I can get a brand new 23 model for 3899

Old 11-16-2023, 07:14 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen216 View Post
Scram411 owner here - ask me anything. I bought it as a gateway drug to get back into dualsport, something at a medium price range to feel out 1. if I really did want to get out into the woods, 2. to sort out what I really wanted and needed, and 3. to do all that before dropping stupid money.
It’s as heavy as I want to go. It’s as low HP as I would ever want to go. India requires owners to keep bikes stock, with only official addons so… it’s crazy simple to get all the basics from half a million different manufactures in India who make OEM products for RE and sell overproduction on eBay, for cheap, that ship to the US crazy fast. “Well, you get what you pay for…” That’s right - a thumper that you can literally drive like everyone in India does.
Ill keep you in mind! I am going to go and look at one tomorrow! I am not looking to bomb through the wilderness or ride out to Sturgis in the pouring rain. Just looking to commute to work, and MAYBE go check out a fire road or a dirt road through a park or something. Speed? Nah, not my thing. I like to "cruise" around in my Mustang with the top down on a nice day. I think this one will be perfect for me.

I did not even know about RE until someone here mentioned it, so thank you!

Old 11-16-2023, 09:30 AM   #72

A couple of things about the Scram -
  • no front windscreen
  • front tire is 19” vs 21” on the Himmy - I find better for the 50% of the time I ride it in the city
  • the EFI is really nice; I have plenty of old carburetor bikes, and yes, sometimes it’s nice to press the start button and know it’s just going to start, no matter where I am of what the elevation is, etc
  • doesn’t come with a way to turn off rear ABS; Himmy has that now, and that’s probably not something about which you’d care at all
Honda CB350
Honda CL450
Tyrion the Pit Bike