Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2016, 02:08 PM   #1

TaoTao Rhino 250 question

I purchased 4 new TaoTao Rhino 250's and I've been reading this entire forum non-stop to learn as much as I can off you all. Which has been incredibly helpful by the way. I have decided that initially I'd like to make a few modifications out of the gate. So I purchased the spark plug I believe will work based on what I have read and linked below. Would love if someone could take a look and make sure I'm getting the right one and also please explain to me what chain I need to replace the stock one with. I'm beyond confused on that. I see 428 120, 428 118, and I've since went to eagle atv parts and see a 94 one listed for the rhino. So which is it to replace the stock? A 428-?, a 530-?, or a ?-94 I'm super confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Link to spark plug is below also so guidance on that would be welcome also. Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Old 10-07-2016, 12:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by weevil6772 View Post
I purchased 4 new TaoTao Rhino 250's and I've been reading this entire forum non-stop to learn as much as I can off you all. Which has been incredibly helpful by the way. I have decided that initially I'd like to make a few modifications out of the gate. So I purchased the spark plug I believe will work based on what I have read and linked below. Would love if someone could take a look and make sure I'm getting the right one and also please explain to me what chain I need to replace the stock one with. I'm beyond confused on that. I see 428 120, 428 118, and I've since went to eagle atv parts and see a 94 one listed for the rhino. So which is it to replace the stock? A 428-?, a 530-?, or a ?-94 I'm super confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Link to spark plug is below also so guidance on that would be welcome also. Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

The plug I purchased is this..

NGK (2120) D8EA

As far as the chain you'll need a 530 standard chain. Don't want the o-ring type(more $$$ and rob power). As far as the link count your saying with the 94 that's possible. I purchased a DID standard non o-ring that is a 530-120 links or pins. So will have to shorten it some to fit the bigger rear sprocket.

Old 10-07-2016, 04:05 PM   #3

That helps me a ton!!! Thanks very much! I bought the 530-94 standard(non-o ring) chain on amazon, and the ngk d8ea plugs. Appreciate the help!

Old 10-07-2016, 04:51 PM   #4

Any idea on battery replacement as well? Any specific batteries anyone recommends? And I am using the search features but not finding what I'm after in the posts/threads using that. Thanks,

Old 10-07-2016, 10:50 PM   #5

For batteries, try these guys. I bought a gel-cell battery for my 200cc enduro and it lasted years. The disclaimer is they are not very helpful; they did not have an exact replacement battery for my bike, but I measured the dimensions, and it worked out well. Cost me under $40 shipped (and I didn't have to deal with acid).

http://www.t-motorsports.com/batteries/?sort=priceasc

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 10-10-2016, 08:36 AM   #6

Thanks very much for the info!!! So far using what I've learned from all the great members on here, I've purchased new spark plugs, new carbs, new headlights, new air filters, new batteries, new chains. I many end up doing the spacers and sprockets eventually also, but mainly flat land down here in LA. So hoping all the money spent up front will take care of the most common issues and complaints with these atv's. Just wanna do a bit of trail riding with the family!

Old 10-10-2016, 04:09 PM   #7

Sounds like your set Weevil.... this forum and the info here has helped me a ton.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:43 PM   #8

Well, got them all in, changed out everything I mentioned before and took them on first rides. Initial impressions were that these were quite high-geared and would fly if you wanted them to. However they were definitely not for climbing much of anything or rough trails. I believe gearing them down will help a long ways towards resolving that. I did run into issues with the mikuni carbs and jetting. Eventually got 1 to work with the mikuni, and the other 3 with stock carbs. Not really noticing a huge difference thus far, with all 4 running fine over the last few weeks. May or may not revisit the mikuni carbs on these. I did replace the stock lights with ones listed on the other rhino threads. Worked amazingly well compared to stock. I think wheel spacers are a must on the rear tires with my kids riding them. I put 3 of the 4 on their side trying to trail ride myself. Overall I'm happy with the taotao rhino's and don't regret the purchase. I think they need more overall fine tuning to get truly great performance out of them with the sprockets, and spacers. After that I think I'll be good to go. Thanks again to those who helped me out and those who took the time to post all the info on the other threads. Was a HUGE help and will be moving forward I'm sure.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by weevil6772 View Post
Well, got them all in, changed out everything I mentioned before and took them on first rides. Initial impressions were that these were quite high-geared and would fly if you wanted them to. However they were definitely not for climbing much of anything or rough trails. I believe gearing them down will help a long ways towards resolving that. I did run into issues with the mikuni carbs and jetting. Eventually got 1 to work with the mikuni, and the other 3 with stock carbs. Not really noticing a huge difference thus far, with all 4 running fine over the last few weeks. May or may not revisit the mikuni carbs on these. I did replace the stock lights with ones listed on the other rhino threads. Worked amazingly well compared to stock. I think wheel spacers are a must on the rear tires with my kids riding them. I put 3 of the 4 on their side trying to trail ride myself. Overall I'm happy with the taotao rhino's and don't regret the purchase. I think they need more overall fine tuning to get truly great performance out of them with the sprockets, and spacers. After that I think I'll be good to go. Thanks again to those who helped me out and those who took the time to post all the info on the other threads. Was a HUGE help and will be moving forward I'm sure.
Good to hear things are going well!

Regarding the Mikuni's, I run them simply because of available jetting. My Rhino carb was completely sealed, including the slide was red locktited shut. It took two huge channel locks and a heat gun to get the slide out so I could access the cable for the carb swap. Total pain.... May have just been a CA thing, don't know, but it was the first thing to go. WAY too lean.

Yep....you can take an interstate the way these are geared. I just got in my new sprockets and chain last week. Haven't put them on yet. Maybe this weekend. I can't wait to get some useful gearing out of it for hauling the cart around.

Please keep in mind that these CG motors will change their personality dramatically as they break in. They're VERY tight out of the box. Miles and hours are needed before making any major adjustment swings. Also, change the oils quite often in the first while. Cheap insurance.

Good luck and keep us posted on your fleet!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 12-08-2016, 07:58 PM   #10

For me the Mikuni carb clone I bought made a massive difference with hill climbing. The higher torque sprockets weren't enough with the stock carb.

About doubled my horsepower with the carb upgrade. The same hills I couldn't get up before, I climb now like they are nothing and that is while towing 200 lbs + of gear behind me. Much better throttle response too. Have wide open throttle when I need it.

The high torque sprockets and the Mikini are a powerful combination.

Old 12-10-2016, 01:17 PM   #11

I am confused about the Rhino's specs, but that could be the reason it is no longer certified in California. It seems like some of you guys have the 229cc engine (perhaps 223cc.. or whatever flavor China made that month) and the specs on Taotao.us show a 200cc engine. http://taotao.us/index.cfm/atvs/rhino250/

Can anyone give some insight into what their specs are and what year Rhino they have? I don't mind the 200cc engine by any means, and judging by the online web retailers' prices, that might be a reflection of that, or does the Rhino come with a larger engine? I want to order one from my friend, but even with his connections to the So. Cal. warehouse, I am fairly certain he, nor the employees he knows there, will give him a straight answer (because they probably don't even know!!)

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 12-10-2016, 02:15 PM   #12

No I am looking at Powersportsmax and they list the Rhino with a 200cc AND state it is California legal?!

http://www.powersportsmax.com/produc...ducts_id/18023

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 12-10-2016, 05:45 PM   #13

My Rhino has a 167FMM engine according to the serial on the motor. That is the 250cc engine classification. Has a 67mm bore. Most likely a 229cc engine.

The rivet plate at the front bumper states 200cc. It was listed on the site I bought it from as a RHINO 250 in the title. The specs stated a 200cc engine.

I think they do all that junk to get around emissions for importing to the US. All of them would be California legal I assume. The plugged carb they stick on them loses about half the horsepower so it seems about right.

Old 12-10-2016, 06:09 PM   #14

Only way to be certain on the engine size is to open and measure it. My engine is stamped 171FMM but I measured the bore at 63.5 mm making it a 200 not a 229. This is on the predecessor of the Rhino (ATA250D).

Old 12-10-2016, 06:50 PM   #15

Mine's a 167FMM like Darth, but the frame tag says a 150cc. Go figure.
but yes, all the webpages (known for amazing accuracy) all show it as a 200cc. That would make a 163FML, in that case, which according to my motor, is not.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350