Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2012, 09:46 PM   #1

hi from Papua New Guinea

Hi, I'm a motorcycle/small engine mechanic originally from the US but now living/working in the Eastern Highlands province of Papua New Guinea. I'm here because I'm seeing more and more Chinese motorcycles, ATV's and other related vehicles showing up here and I need to find a good source of parts and information as local dealers seem to lack both.

Most of the stuff I am seeing is Zongshen or Shineray and most are powered by 150cc or 200cc OHV (and some OHC) engines. I have a couple of the OHV engines to play around with, have dropped them into old XL125 frames and stuff, they are fun and seem to hold up fairly well. For use here, I'd like to see more of the OHV engines put into old Honda chassis, mainly because the biggest problem with old Hondas here is that people don't change the oil and they melt down the heads. I'm thinking that in a place like PNG, where very few people ever do even the most basic maintenance, the pushrod 200cc engine might be a better choice than the OHC Honda. Opinions?

Old 10-16-2012, 12:42 AM   #2

Welcome!

Quote:
I'm here because I'm seeing more and more Chinese motorcycles, ATV's and other related vehicles showing up here and I need to find a good source of parts and information as local dealers seem to lack both.
You're preaching to the choir, brother. That's exactly why this site was created; dealers with little China bike knowledge are universal.

I've installed China motors into old Hondas as well, and I'm particularly fond of the pushrod motor. They have all the complexity of an anvil, and they're dead reliable. The cam bearing journals in OHC Hondas (and clones) don't have bearing shells, so they're done once something abrasive gets in there and carves it up. The pushrod motors have the cam in the bottom end, and it's gear driven; there's no chain maintenance.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-16-2012, 12:58 AM   #3

Welcome! We are glad you joined us.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894