Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2010, 08:43 PM   #16

It does not appear countrbalanced.

Lifanoid OHV's with a CB have a bulge on the lower front of the crankcase, pretty prominant. The possible lack out of a counterbalancer is not a problem though. I've had both types of Lifanoids and could not tell the difference and the CB saps some precious HP from an already low powered engine.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:21 PM   #17

thats a good looking bike!

Old 03-01-2010, 12:20 AM   #18

TMEC contact person as follows:

TMEC POWER INC
2125 WRIGHT AVE. C10
LA VERNE, CA91750
TEL: 909-680-5958
FAX: 909-593-1688
MR BENJAMING YU
MOBILE: 9099790411
EMAIL: "benjaming_yu" <benjaming_yu@hotmail.com>

Old 03-01-2010, 12:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
It does not appear countrbalanced.

Lifanoid OHV's with a CB have a bulge on the lower front of the crankcase, pretty prominant. The possible lack out of a counterbalancer is not a problem though. I've had both types of Lifanoids and could not tell the difference and the CB saps some precious HP from an already low powered engine.
Is that an OHV engine on the TMEC, according to the manufacturer this is the engine on the bike.

Which engine is it?

OHV

OHC

Old 03-01-2010, 01:31 AM   #20

We are doing a good job identifying this product, the bike could have an OHV, on that bike…but I think it is an OHC Lifan 163FML and not hard to get parts for.

You could call the number I posted, I emailed the manufacturer (TMEC)and asked who is the distributor in the USA.

What I got back I posted.

That’s the distributor contact info; they want to sell bikes….they want to get the products out, if a dealer is selling them for that low of a price then the distributor can get them for even less.

You can get one and bet you could buy it from or through a local dealer with a warranty, call the distributor and then call a dealer that sells Chinese bikes near you. You in this market can actually bring a distributor to your area, the dealer can take delivery for you and taking that approach can get a mechanic to inspect it and tune it and also get you a factory warranty.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:35 AM   #21

I could be wrong on the engine, but it has that little round access plug on the left of the cylinder that usually indicated OHV. I can't really see the top of the engine on the bike to be sure, but the OHC engines didn't seem to have that. They had the big cam gear cover at the top and the best way to tell was the two round access plugs on the valve cover.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:28 AM   #22

Oh yeah it does have that plug on the side….

I would call the dealer and ask what the VIN is and then call the distributor, with that and ask about what engines they use.

Then what engine would the bikes being sold have specifically for the color bike you want and what engine that bike has, it would be interesting to see if the distributor has that information, that being details of the dealers inventory.

The engines both retail for about the same price so then what if you did get one that did not wear in well and had to be replaced? If the distributor speaks poor English ask “what warranty on engine.”

It would be the same scenario if the engine on the bike blew, so calling first gives you an idea of who you would deal with.

The OHV has lower rpm then the OHC and a different power curve, the OHC is a little better performer if its well made.

The dealer and distributors all have contacts or should for logistics, shipping is cheaper if done depot to depot. I would want it shipped to a local dealer bet that the distributor could use your interest in the bike to establish one in your area….its what they do.

The warranty is in part the distributors ability to get the parts at cost from the factory, if factory backed then free.

It seems that bike is basically a Lifan engine with a more modern looking bike surrounding it, except for the speedo.

I do not know about the rest of you…but I like having a tachometer. I like to see the idle and the rpm when shifting.

There really is no problem with the OHV is there? Prone to vibrations? Is that why all the nuts and bolts come loose on the bikes, they basically vibrate out?

Old 03-01-2010, 10:34 AM   #23

I have the OHV engine with 10K miles on it. Good low end power. Solid, but did have some vibes too it. Not bad though.

Nothing wrong with it, just not the high revver like the OHC engine.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:16 AM   #24

Having owned both my preference for the OHC is very strong. The OHV runs out of breath very early in the rev band compared to the OHC. CC for cc, the OHC produces more power.

Off road the OHV was OK, but on the street the high RPM power restriction is significant.

Again, as always. IMHO. :roll:

Old 03-01-2010, 11:19 AM   #25

the manufacturer may use both?

the distributor may have access to the latest bikes.

I am not in the market but if I was I would consider a Lifan variant the parts are everywhere.

TMEC was at the dealer expo so getting one would more than likely get supported at least long enough to break it in. They are also selling in Europe so they should have systems in place, support systems.

You are always dealing with a hit or miss on the Chinese bikes, that’s why having contacts are important, just warranty on the engine. A dealer with a mechanic is best, even if you can do it yourself why should you they are the ones that are selling it, its new not used they should back it. At least the parts at least the engine.

If you trying to stay under $1800.00 this bike looks like it could easily and its not as ugly as a GY-5.

The black one looks very cool, even the engine is blacked out and the rims that match the forks...not a bad look.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #26

If you trying to stay under $1800.00 this bike looks like it could easily and its not as ugly as a GY-5.

Depends on how hard it is to pull the decals off. :roll:

Old 03-01-2010, 12:47 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc

Depends on how hard it is to pull the decals off. :roll:
I agree; the decals would have to go. Minus the decals, the bike is attractive. I like the alloy rims on this bike. The claimed net weight for this motorcycle is 271 pounds, and the bike has a 3.17-gallon fuel tank. I also like the option to switch between the 17-inch supermoto wheels, and the dual sport wheels for this bike.

I saw the red, supermoto version of this motorcycle at the Utah State Fair; the colors and decals were too gaudy for my tastes. However, the bike seems to be well built. I would certainly prefer the OHC engine.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-01-2010, 04:25 PM   #28

I don't have experience on the OHC engine, but I could pull an actual 68mph with my OHV engine. It didn't like to rev above 9k though.

I believe the OHC is a much better design for the street though. I tortured my OHV from day one and it kept going.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:41 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
I don't have experience on the OHC engine, but I could pull an actual 68mph with my OHV engine. It didn't like to rev above 9k though.

I believe the OHC is a much better design for the street though. I tortured my OHV from day one and it kept going.
In 100% stock form my OHV would pull to 7500-8000 and then........nothing. Even in the lower gears.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:28 PM   #30

Mine too. I was able to get alittle more with the carb and exhaust mods.