Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2022, 07:08 PM   #1

Tire pressure suggestions

Every link that google gives me regarding tire pressure says "start with the tire pressure your manufacturer recommends in the owner's manual". My bike didn't come with an owner's manual, so I'm at a loss here. The pressure I've been using for the past year or so has worn the tire in a way that apparently means it's over-inflated. I don't actually know what that pressure was because I didn't install the tire, and I ran over a nail and the tire is now flat so I don't even have "less than that" as a starting point.

It's a 300lb bike and I'm around 185. My riding is mainly suburban and country roads with some highway. Can anyone suggest a decent pressure for street riding?

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-30-2022, 07:13 PM   #2

What size tires? Tire manufacturer?

Old 10-01-2022, 12:22 PM   #3

Dunlop Roadsport 2 tires, size is 200/55ZR-17

Old 10-01-2022, 01:05 PM   #4

If it's a street bike (sounds like it, based on tire size), I would suggest 35F/40R.

Old 10-01-2022, 03:43 PM   #5

For Pete's sake, get a tire gauge. "I don't actually know what that pressure was because I didn't install the tire" reflects an attitude that does not bode well for your motorcycling future. Your bike probably has a label on it giving tire inflation pressures; the tire will have max pressure stated on it. Generally, you're looking at pressures in the 28 to 36 pound range. Somewhere in the middle (32-ish) will do.

Old 10-05-2022, 09:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldenslow View Post
For Pete's sake, get a tire gauge. "I don't actually know what that pressure was because I didn't install the tire" reflects an attitude that does not bode well for your motorcycling future. Your bike probably has a label on it giving tire inflation pressures; the tire will have max pressure stated on it. Generally, you're looking at pressures in the 28 to 36 pound range. Somewhere in the middle (32-ish) will do.
I read that too and cringed... badly.. It's on par with "I don't know how much gas is in it because I didn't put it in".