Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2019, 10:11 PM   #1

Use throttle, engine bogs then dies.

TaoTao Hellcat 125cc 1000 kilometers service time. No issues so far besides some loose bolts. Cleaned the air filter (really nothing on it), cleaned and lubed the chain, changed spark plug changed the oil, soon to change the oil filter and also changed the FUEL FILTER... Now though when I start the bike and use the throttle, the bike bogs down and dies. Even after letting it warm up. Fuel comes through the filter just fine. I've read that the carburetor should be cleaned but it didn't do that before I touched the fuel filter. Even put original fuel filter and spark plug back in and still bogs and dies. Tried the fuel filter in both directions, still bogs and dies. No leaks, everything's connected and tightened. Petcock is set to on and plenty of fuel. I'll try adjusting the choke and idle speed later and see what happens.

Perhaps I should've just stuck with my Japanese scooter but I wanted to learn manual transmission somehow but the luxury of just taking it to the shop being gone with this bike being Chinese made is testing my patience and irretrievable time. Maybe time to hang it up if I can't fix this as I have ZERO mechanical knowledge and then become a bother posting question after question on here asking what to do. Just got this thing last month too...sigh...HAHA! Yeah so anyways. 😀🔫

Last edited by AUDAN2019; 09-17-2019 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Typo

Old 09-17-2019, 10:33 PM   #2

If you give it throttle slowly from idle, do the RPMs steadily climb?

Old 09-17-2019, 10:37 PM   #3

Also, did you re-oil the air filter after cleaning it?

Old 09-17-2019, 11:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbkr188 View Post
Also, did you re-oil the air filter after cleaning it?
No the air filter looked dry but clean so I didn't think that was needed. The rpm steadily rapidly climb to about 3000 rpm if twisting the throttle slowly but if twisted all the way cuts off.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:11 PM   #5

Any updates?

Old 02-01-2020, 12:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDAN2019 View Post
No the air filter looked dry but clean so I didn't think that was needed. The rpm steadily rapidly climb to about 3000 rpm if twisting the throttle slowly but if twisted all the way cuts off.
I have two thoughts on this, either your carb is jetted too high so that it essentially floods out or the main jet in your carburetor is dirty.

Either way you will have to open up the carburetor to either clean the jet or put a smaller one in. When you open the carb the main jet is the larger of the two that are in there and the whole jet can be unscrewed with a set of pliers. You should be able to see completely through the jet, if you can't it is clogged.

Would you be able to pull out your spark plug to post a picture? If the plug is looking dark/black the bike is getting too much gas.

Old 02-01-2020, 01:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHogsScooters View Post
We sell a large variety of new and used scooters from Peace Sports, Tao Motors, Apollo, Jonway, and Coolster with over a decade of experience in sales and service!
Have you experienced many issues with the Jiajue 808 150cc?

Jiajue at least has the capability to produce some decent scooters . . probably all depends on the "quality assurance" on a specific assembly line on a specific day.

Old 02-03-2020, 01:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
Have you experienced many issues with the Jiajue 808 150cc?

Jiajue at least has the capability to produce some decent scooters . . probably all depends on the "quality assurance" on a specific assembly line on a specific day.
I have plenty of experience with Jiajue (Jiaj) and have sold many bikes that have been made by Jiaj and imported/distributed by different distributors in the US.

The Jiaj 808 you mentioned has been great for us, we get it through Peace Sports in Atlanta and have no major issues. We might have the occasional once in a blue moon think like a defective CDI or regulator, but nothing major. Top quality bikes IMO.

We also got Jiaj 150cc scooters last year through another distributor while waiting for Peace to restock their 150s (we bought them all faster than they thought we would) and the Jiaj bikes we got from the other distributor had nonstop problems. Faulty exhausts, bad clutches, electrical problems, etc. They were a headache and we haven't ordered any scooters from that distributor since and we got all the replacement parts from Peace because we knew they were good.

Basically from my experience quality depends on what the importer/distributor wants and not really too much on the factory. Peace has always had good running bikes whereas distributors that use that same factory have bikes that might tend to have more issues.

Hope that helps,
Chris

Old 02-04-2020, 02:16 AM   #9

I'd check and see if the pilot jet is plugged... That'll make an engine bog like you wouldn't believe.

Tags
dies, engine, filter, fuel, throttle