Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2016, 01:01 AM   #46

[QUOTE=Sullybiker;238845]Some video from the ride today.
Let the farkles (fun) begin
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 12-25-2016, 04:45 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullybiker View Post
About 40 miles today, it was a damp day, slick, shiny roads but no actual rain.

The bike is very confidence-inspiring; no surface caused any problem, and I ride these roads a lot and have learnt to be very cautious on my little Kawi. Again, very impressed with the stock tires on a wet road, and not a little annoyed that the brakes are sharper than my Ninjette, which at nearly three times the cost ought to be better.

The engine continues to be great fun, and the difficulty with shifting to fourth (under certain loads) and finding neutral is slowly going away.

Very impressed with it. I don't think there's anything I dislike. The ride gets a little vibey towards 50mph, and tyres clearly aren't suited for higher road speeds, but this is a damn good runabout bike. It's almost the exact opposite of my Ninja; it's an absolute beast at low speed, and very comfortable pottering about on the street, whereas the Ninja is like a precision weapon above 50. I expected to like the engine (I like smaller displacement bikes anyway) but I didn't expect to love it quite so much.

I'll wait until break-in is done before changing to the 49 tooth rear sprocket (I ordered one with the bike) as this is a little more in line with the bikes intended use, but so far, so good!
what tooth rear and front did it come with? from watching the video it appears to be geared a lot taller than the hawk. oh yea i saw you put palm to forhead a couple times saying why didnt i do this sooner!

Old 12-25-2016, 07:38 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcosby View Post
what tooth rear and front did it come with? from watching the video it appears to be geared a lot taller than the hawk. oh yea i saw you put palm to forhead a couple times saying why didnt i do this sooner!
17/50 Stock gearing. I think it's alright, actually, but I'm used to my Ninja 300 which also has famously short gearing.

Old 12-25-2016, 09:25 AM   #49

Quote:
17/50 Stock gearing. I think it's alright, actually, but I'm used to my Ninja 300 which also has famously short gearing.
Nice video. put a 45 tooth on the rear. That gear ratio seem to be the sweet spot on these 250's. I had a chance to put some miles on myself yesterday. Nothing like 80 degree weather on Christmas eve. I also changed out to a 115 jet yesterday after removing the cat last weekend. Have a merry Christmas.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 12-25-2016, 12:46 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
Sullybiker could you slip a picture of your NINJA in with your TT250.
Sure! They're in different parking spots at the moment. I'm going to give both a clean over the new year so I'll take a group photo. Meantime, here's the Ninja from one of my many weekend runs in Summer:

Mods:
  • Ebay special short levers
  • Leo Vince slip-on
  • Area-P (Dynojet rebadged) fuel controller
  • Zero Gravity Corsa windscreen

Old 12-25-2016, 04:50 PM   #51

I don't think one tooth is going to make much difference. I'm not sure why CSC doesn't offer a 47 or even a 45 tooth?

Quote:
About 40 miles today, it was a damp day, slick, shiny roads but no actual rain.

The bike is very confidence-inspiring; no surface caused any problem, and I ride these roads a lot and have learnt to be very cautious on my little Kawi. Again, very impressed with the stock tires on a wet road, and not a little annoyed that the brakes are sharper than my Ninjette, which at nearly three times the cost ought to be better.

The engine continues to be great fun, and the difficulty with shifting to fourth (under certain loads) and finding neutral is slowly going away.

Very impressed with it. I don't think there's anything I dislike. The ride gets a little vibey towards 50mph, and tyres clearly aren't suited for higher road speeds, but this is a damn good runabout bike. It's almost the exact opposite of my Ninja; it's an absolute beast at low speed, and very comfortable pottering about on the street, whereas the Ninja is like a precision weapon above 50. I expected to like the engine (I like smaller displacement bikes anyway) but I didn't expect to love it quite so much.

I'll wait until break-in is done before changing to the 49 tooth rear sprocket (I ordered one with the bike) as this is a little more in line with the bikes intended use, but so far, so good!

Old 12-25-2016, 06:32 PM   #52

Loyalhanna Dam and recreational area this afternoon. It was cold, about 39F but I found a public road not far from there that was an odd sort of 50/50 gravel and asphalt, a bit like a fresh tar'n'chip road but with much heavier gravel.

I now know what I've been missing. Such a road would have terrified me on my sportbike; on this surface the tyres moved around just enough to be an absolute hoot.

Old 12-25-2016, 11:03 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
Thank you. That is a nice looking bike. I have a red 09 250R that's stock except for a rear seat cowl that replaces the rear seat pad.
They're terrific bikes. I use mine pretty much every day, if the weather is good enough.

Old 12-25-2016, 11:55 PM   #54

Quote:
Loyalhanna Dam and recreational area this afternoon. It was cold, about 39F but I found a public road not far from there that was an odd sort of 50/50 gravel and asphalt, a bit like a fresh tar'n'chip road but with much heavier gravel.

I now know what I've been missing. Such a road would have terrified me on my sportbike; on this surface the tyres moved around just enough to be an absolute hoot.

I gotta say, usually one of the first things I change on a bike is the tires and tubes. These dang tires on the TT250 have been nothing less than flawless for our riding style and needs. Very impressed for a stock dual sport tire..

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 12-26-2016, 12:34 AM   #55

Nice Bike, and great video. Thanks for posting it. My bike came with 17 / 46 gearing. After riding it a bit on and off road. I'm pretty happy with it the way it is. I'm just going to slap a new Unibear chain on it and call it good. I wonder if the Hawk, TT, Brozz, Blaze, Storm, WILL, etc all have the same sprockets? As in bolt pattern, etc.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:59 AM   #56

I think they all use the same.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:05 PM   #57

I think I'll order a handful of sprockets just to try out. I don't want to lose too much of the bike's punch (I really like it) but I'd like to be able to do the odd 3-5 mile 55 mph run to get to some places quicker. From what i've read the 47 or 49 (already have 49 ready to go) should be alright.

I'm about a third of the way through break-in so I'm not in any hurry, as I haven't really pushed it at high revs yet.

Are the JT249 series the right ones? Some searching suggest they are. Any fit issues?

Old 12-27-2016, 09:25 AM   #58

Quote:
I think I'll order a handful of sprockets just to try out. I don't want to lose too much of the bike's punch (I really like it) but I'd like to be able to do the odd 3-5 mile 55 mph run to get to some places quicker. From what i've read the 47 or 49 (already have 49 ready to go) should be alright.

I'm about a third of the way through break-in so I'm not in any hurry, as I haven't really pushed it at high revs yet.

Are the JT249 series the right ones? Some searching suggest they are. Any fit issues?
once its broken in you should be able to do 55 mph runs with no problem on the 17/50

I still am at stock gearing and haven't even put my exhaust/jetting on yet and can do 60 no problem after break in

Old 12-27-2016, 10:33 AM   #59

I got my neighbor the same 47 tooth for Christmas that I put on Mrs 2LZ TT. I rode both and the 47, while making each gear a little leggier, didn't let it lose its low end or trail-ability.
It's really about riding preference and your areas needs. (hills, flats, curves, straights, etc..) on which gearing you'll prefer.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 12-28-2016, 12:45 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ughmas View Post
once its broken in you should be able to do 55 mph runs with no problem on the 17/50

I still am at stock gearing and haven't even put my exhaust/jetting on yet and can do 60 no problem after break in
The engine has loosened up a lot. I pushed it up to 55 briefly a couple of times and it's actually getting there with little trouble.

I think a 49 or 47 will be perfect. There's a lot of hills around here and I don't want to lose the 4th gear pull.

Tags
break-in, oil, rpm, tt250