Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Everything Else

Old 02-18-2018, 12:48 PM   #16

Have you adjusted the valves? Maybe the problem is at least partly there.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-19-2018, 09:36 AM   #17

Yes, I adjusted the valves. Look at my posting from February 6th.

Thanks

Old 02-19-2018, 11:04 AM   #18

Yes, I missed that.
I'm now wondering if the seat that the enricher mates with is eroded. If you had a torn diaphragm it would give you other issues (and you would have spotted it when you dismantled the carb), so I doubt that's it.
I'm following this closely as my wife's 150cc quad is having the same issue, but I haven't spent any time on it yet.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-21-2018, 03:48 PM   #19

I took the hose off the vacuum port on the intake and cut a 1/4" off or so to make it fit on the nipple tighter. It seemed better but I ended up buying a Taiwan carburetor from GoPowerSports and installed it. I got the one with the bigger jets. It still doesn't start right up cold, takes a few attempts but it straightens out quickly. I can't expect too much since the kart sat for a good while. I took a gamble on it since everything from the factory was still there. I ended up taking the motor apart again to replace the crank seal on that side. Should have changed it when it was apart the first time. Oh well.

Thanks

Old 02-21-2018, 03:54 PM   #20

I don't think that carb had a diaphragm. Has the typical needle & seat, float and jets but the petcock is actually the fuel pump I guess you could call it. There is a huge spring under the top of the carb with a rubber disc that rises as the throttle is opened plus a vacuum device on the side that has something to do with the throttle. Not a whole lot to them.

http://49ccscoot.proboards.com/threa...ctions-diagram

Old 02-22-2018, 12:37 PM   #21

The diaphragm is in the fifth picture of the link you shared. It's a CV style carb, so the needle isn't directly acted upon by the throttle cable. You're opening the butterfly and vacuum is lifting the needle off of the seat.
Glad to hear that the new carb got it running.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:03 PM   #22

Thanks for the explanation. I wasn't 100% sure how they worked, that helps. Looking at a friend's Echo weed whacker now. Carb on it is trash. Installed a factory rebuild kit but it only runs if I shoot starting fluid in it. Fuel filter isn't plugged, no hose restrictions, fresh fuel. Found a Taiwan carb for it for $16.00. Those carbs are apparently troublesome. One capped adjustment screw and it's the high speed jet. Pretty much throw away. Can't soak it in anything strong since there's plastic in it. Stale Ethanol fuel wasn't any help either.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:19 AM   #23

The Echo doesn't have high and low speed adjustment screws?

Old 02-23-2018, 09:31 PM   #24

No mixture screws, just one capped hi-speed screw. Soaked it in denatured alcohol to see if it will help, worked for my Manco carb.

http://www.zamacarb.com/carburetors/1156

Old 02-24-2018, 09:08 PM   #25

I think we're good with the Echo trimmer. Installed the Taiwan carburetor but still had trouble. In the meantime I took the plug out of the mixture screw of the original carb and ground down an old pocket screwdriver to access the screw. I think I had the fuel hoses backward when I first rebuilt the original carb or the soaking did something. Switched hoses on the Taiwan carb and it fired up. It had no emission plug in the mixture screw but it wouldn't run right. Threw the original carb back on with the rebuild kit in it, adjustable mixture screw and fresh fuel. Seems fine. One hose was shorter, it's the return hose. I must have had it on the suction side or fuel inlet nipple. No wonder it wasn't getting any fuel. Another learning experience.