Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX4
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2019, 03:40 PM   #151

Thumbs Up Competition for the RX4

Howdy, are you folks aware that China is introducing parallel twin cylinder 500cc engines to replace the one cylinder wonders.
The NEW bike they are introducing is the Benelli TRK 502X Motorcycle. It will be available for sale within the U.S.A. within a few months. It’s has an 8 valve parallel twin cylinder 499cc engine with 47 HP and 33 lb/ft of torque. It has a 19” front wheel and 17” rear wheel. The seat height is 33.4” tall and the bike weighs 470 lbs. and the selling price is very close to the selling price of the CSC RX4 bike.
I have photos of the Benelli TRK 502X I’ll try and post for your viewing.
The TRK comes with mounted luggage racks and crash bars very similar to the RX4. And the engine is VERY SMOOTH running!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 46E343CE-AA91-4904-990F-77D52DC1B2A3.jpg (21.5 KB, 895 views)
File Type: jpg 67259277-C34D-45DF-9E32-2529B6982BF5.jpg (20.0 KB, 858 views)

Old 10-11-2019, 04:52 PM   #152

The 502 has been available in other countries for some months. The reviews are ok, but not great. I would be happy with one. The other bike I saw that seems better suited to me is the Colove 500X. Anybody have any comments about this bike?

Old 10-11-2019, 08:19 PM   #153

Interesting that other Chinese manufacturers are jumping into the 450-500cc displacement market. Lets see how many are ready to pay for EPA/DOT/CARB certification. If they cannot sell in the USA it's a moot point for me.

Old 10-11-2019, 10:11 PM   #154

It has to actually be here to compete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cylinderwonder View Post
Howdy, are you folks aware that China is introducing parallel twin cylinder 500cc engines to replace the one cylinder wonders.
The NEW bike they are introducing is the Benelli TRK 502X Motorcycle. It will be available for sale within the U.S.A. within a few months. It’s has an 8 valve parallel twin cylinder 499cc engine with 47 HP and 33 lb/ft of torque. It has a 19” front wheel and 17” rear wheel. The seat height is 33.4” tall and the bike weighs 470 lbs. and the selling price is very close to the selling price of the CSC RX4 bike.
I have photos of the Benelli TRK 502X I’ll try and post for your viewing.
The TRK comes with mounted luggage racks and crash bars very similar to the RX4. And the engine is VERY SMOOTH running!
Searching , all I see are year old reviews saying it is coming to the US, but nothing about who is bringing it in, or footing the emissions certification bill. With an estimated price of US$6800 one year ago, that would be $8500-$8840 today, due to tariffs on Chinese goods. Not even close to RX4 territory, and it's actually more expensive than a 2020 Versys 650 ABS, at $8299! And the Versys 650 has 30% more power at the same given weight. I don't see this bike happening in the US anytime soon, if ever. Not with tariffs in place. I think that the RX4 will be the last Chinese bike into the US market, at least until our trade war is resolved.

Old 10-12-2019, 10:58 AM   #155

Head Scratching You should check the Tariffs news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Working_ZS View Post
Searching , all I see are year old reviews saying it is coming to the US, but nothing about who is bringing it in, or footing the emissions certification bill. With an estimated price of US$6800 one year ago, that would be $8500-$8840 today, due to tariffs on Chinese goods. Not even close to RX4 territory, and it's actually more expensive than a 2020 Versys 650 ABS, at $8299! And the Versys 650 has 30% more power at the same given weight. I don't see this bike happening in the US anytime soon, if ever. Not with tariffs in place. I think that the RX4 will be the last Chinese bike into the US market, at least until our trade war is resolved.
In case you’re not aware, the actual tariffs that will or not be in place are still and currently under negotiations between China and the USA. Some tariffs are being lowered and some are being eliminated. Some were suppose to be initiated next Tuesday, now they’re not!

Old 10-19-2019, 10:48 AM   #156

Head Scratching RX4 Postings about the GOOD STUFF

Hey,
When are the informative postings about the good features, handling, cruising and traveling of the 2020 RX4 going to start being posted on this FORUM.
I remember when CSC first started selling the RX3 and all of the informative postings that occurred pointing out the great features of the RX3. As time went on, the quantity of forum postings about the RX3 kept increasing.

Now the forum postings regarding the 2020 RX4 are FEW and FAR BETWEEN! Are most buyers of the RX4 not enthused about the overall quality, handling and performance of this bike? Nobody seems to be happy enough to post about the overall quality of the RX4!
Anyone know how many RX4’s CSC has sold so far? Anyone know if problems have developed with the mechanicals of this bike. Any weak parts of the bike being noted? Handling not very precise? Engine running too roughly?
The BUYERS seem to be overly quiet!
PCG

Old 10-19-2019, 12:01 PM   #157

You Have To Have Them To Ride Them

Most of the bikes are still in the shipping pipeline, so nothing to report now, and probably won't be for another week to ten days. You have to actually ride it, in order to have anything to report, good or bad; and only two people that I know of have one in their hands, and one of them isn't even plated yet. Still waiting for mine, which is due no later than the 30th of this month. With the weather turning cold in most of the US, I wouldn't expect to see a whole lot written until spring, when the weather breaks. The first batch of RX3's went into service back in the spring of 2015, if memory serves me right; and is probably the reason why so many reports popped up so quickly, since everyone could ride it straight off the bat.

No idea on sales figures, though I think it is safe to say that it will not sell in RX3 numbers, just due to the higher MSRP; but who knows for sure, I've been wrong before. CSC most likely did not order nearly as many RX4's as they do for the lower cost bikes, so if it becomes popular, fulfilling demand might become a problem, especially since Section 301 tariffs, at 25% (the US & China agreement of 10/11/19 only delays the increase to 30%, it doesn't remove any existing tariffs), are indeed still in effect for motorcycles (HST subheadings 87112000 & 87113000 are the two that cover most of CSC's models). The SG250 and TT250 are CSC's best sellers, by far; most likely due to their attractive MSRP's; I don't see the RX4 doing those kinds of numbers, for the aforementioned reasons.

Old 10-22-2019, 12:13 AM   #158

I’m patiently waiting to hear how the RX4 works out from owners before I move on from my RX3. The Versys 300 is top of my list right now to replace it. I understand some dealers tack on 1000 in fees but I’ll just stop by Romney cycle and get one for @ 5300 since they just add a small doc fee. CSC likes to say it doesn’t have fees but they have nearly 500 dollars in doc and assembly fees outside the advertised MSRP. Regardless I want to see how the RX4 shakes out first since the CSC bikes are far cheaper to repair if you drop them and the crash bars are really great on the RX3 for adventure work.

I really don’t care for the stock luggage as it leaks pretty bad in my RX3 experience. I took mine on a 4000 mile trip to newfoundland and the luggage let me down pretty bad in the rain and it’s pretty small. The top case eventually cracked at the mounts as well. Mines had rubber parts dry rot and the top end makes a racket at 7200 miles (valves in spec) so I’m suspect about Zongshens long term reliability at this point. I’m waiting to see how the 4 works out.

My father bought a TT250 a few years back to learn on (he started riding in mid 60’s) and it’s held up great. I would recommend that bike to anyone. He rode to Alaska this spring 13k miles on a Honda NC700 having just learned to ride 2 years ago on the TT250 camping almost everyday on the trip and had the time of his life. Thank’s CSC for providing an inexpensive bike to learn on to prep for that trip.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:48 AM   #159

Almost Here

Mine is on it's way now, the truck should be here at 9:15 am, and it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to get it unloaded, according to the driver. I should have more to post later today, after I get the title and registration done.

Old 10-23-2019, 07:10 PM   #160

I put a few more miles on my RX4. I will compare to my RX3 since many of us are familiar with it so it makes a good benchmark. The RX4 front brakes are smooth and powerful. Much better than the RX3. The rear brake is good with the ABS and will not lock up like my old RX3. The power and fuel economy on the RX4 are both better. The RX3 is maxed out on the freeway sucking gas, while the bigger RX4 is cruising and sipping gas at a reasonable 6000 rpm or less.

On the RX4 it is easier to find Neutral even while stopped with engine running. The clutch lever seems slightly easier to operate on the RX4. The gas gauge appears to be more accurate on the RX4. The RX3 gas gauge stays on 4 bars forever, then drops quickly thru 3, 2 and 1 bar. I do not see this issue on the RX4 which seems much more linear.

Another pic of my luggage. Nanuk top case was around $100 special deal. It was originally fitted with custom foam cut out to carry some fancy drone. When this drone was no longer popular, they dumped the over $300 cases cheap. I grabbed one, trashed the custom foam and bolted it to the RX4. The side cases are from Eylar at about $30 each special deal close out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2019101916.jpg (90.0 KB, 774 views)

Old 10-23-2019, 07:50 PM   #161

Thumbs Up It's Here and It's Good

It's been a day, and here is how it has gone so far:

I've put 110 miles on it and I'm happy to report that the NC450 is a very smooth running engine. Also quite torquey, compared to the RX3's NC250. And like the NC250, it likes to rev - the powerband sits about 1000 RPM's lower than that engine, starting at 4500 RPM and still pulling at 7000 RPM, which is as high as I've spun it, so far. CSC's engine break-in instructions call for no more than 5000 RPM's initially, but I've never been one to baby my engines during break-in, and I'm not about to start now. Engine power is more than adequate for any task now. The NC450 has plenty of power for passing, I had it up to 85 MPH passing a car doing 65 MPH and had no problems, whatsoever. This was in 6th gear; I did not need to downshift. In fact, that is kind of the story of the RX4, no need to row the gears anymore. Just roll throttle, and it does whatever you need it to do. No fuss, no muss. Power delivery is very smooth and linear, no sudden surges; just very predictable response to your throttle inputs. Power level-wise, it slots in between my RX3 and Versy 650 very nicely. You can crank the throttle and, unlike the RX3, something happens and happens promptly; while you don't find yourself doing felony speeds in 3 or 4 seconds, as I do on my Versys 650 when I get on the throttle.

It has a very smooth transmission, and neutral is easy to find at a stop. Clutch lever reach is long, however, and those with short fingers may have issues. The clutch lever throw is not adjustable, like the front brake lever's is, unfortunately. The clutch action is light and smooth though, and it doesn't take more than slight pressure to get it to release for shifting. The real story however, is how easy clutch-less shifts are. The engine's power allows them in all gears above 1st, with just a quick throttle roll off. I only used the clutch a couple of times on that first ride, mainly at stops; otherwise it was clutch-less shifts all day long. I did not have any false neutrals, I did hit neutral a couple times accelerating (9000 RPM comes quick, let me tell you!), but that was on me, not the bike's fault.

The fit and finish matches any thing coming out of Europe and Japan, apart from the super high end stuff. Most fasteners are stainless or chromed, the wire looming is very neat and visually appealing. The paint job quality is the same as my Versys 650's. Welds are smooth and spatter free, including the crash bars (which work well, by the way). Even the aftermarket A1/A2 and ABS cutoff switch brackets that CSC has available are OEM level. Way better than anything that I was able to find online. They replace the rear half of the brake/clutch lever clamps and look factory, when installed.

The ergos are similar to the RX3's. Same super soft seat foam and rubber cover. If you have long legs, you'll want the Seat Concepts seat, to raise you up an inch and get your knees at less of a bend angle. I was feeling cramped after the 2 1/2 hours I spent on the first ride with the stock seat on, and I only have a 29" inseam. Since I'm keeping my RX3, with it's Seat Concept Seat, I'll need to either get another one, or buy some higher density open cell, or maybe even some closed cell foam and rework one of the two stock seats that I have now. I'll also pick up some marine grade vinyl and ditch the rubber cover. Mounting the bike will be an issue if you like to climb on via the foot pegs, due to the short side stand and substantial lean angle that it imparts to the bike. Right now, I'm using the right side peg to get on exclusively, the left side is a total no-go; it definitely needs either a longer side stand, or a thicker pad for the side stand foot, in order to stand the bike up more upright. It may not be an issue for those of you who just throw your leg over, though you will feel the bike's greater weight when you lift it up off the stand to get going.

Handling is not as fast as the RX3, which is not surprising in any way. It weighs more and rolls on a larger (19") front wheel than my 2015 RX3, with it's 18" front wheel. The fuel tank is definitely larger than the RX3, although I can't say by how much exactly. I can't give any fuel economy numbers yet, since what I did yesterday was nothing but full throttle roll on's and off's most of the ride, to help break-in the engine. So no idea on normal fuel consumption at this point in time.

The brakes are better than the RX3's, but not as good as my Versys 650's. I was able to use only one finger though, unlike the RX3, and stop with out issue. I suspect that upgraded aftermarket pads will improve it even more, same as the RX3. The pads are different than the RX3's, however, based on CSC's parts pages; I don't know if the pads are compatible with any other Japanese or European models. Hopefully the answer is yes, if not, maybe CSC can get some sourced from EBC, DP Pads, or some other aftermarket pad supplier. The brake lever is adjustable for reach, with 4 settings. The rear ABS works well, it doesn't let the rear step out of line and upset the bike in any way. I was not able to get the front ABS to engage; I rode all pavement for the first ride. I'll try to hit some gravel on my next ride and see how well it handles it.

This is all I know so far; I'm going to take it out tonight to evaluate the headlight and check on the speedometer accuracy with a GPS. Once I get that information, I'll let everybody know what I find out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191022_125419.jpg (99.1 KB, 744 views)
File Type: jpg 20191022_125436.jpg (102.5 KB, 734 views)
File Type: jpg 20191022_125824.jpg (93.1 KB, 729 views)

Last edited by Working_ZS; 10-23-2019 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Spelling; Add pictures

Old 10-23-2019, 09:57 PM   #162

Did you notice any difference in wind protection with the adjustable windscreen?

Old 10-23-2019, 09:58 PM   #163

Would a scan tool interest you for your fleet?

Old 10-24-2019, 09:50 AM   #164

Tako, I'd be interested in a scan tool for the RX4.

Peter Y.

Old 10-24-2019, 08:33 PM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Tako, I'd be interested in a scan tool for the RX4.

Peter Y.
Same same my friend.
I will take it to the USA and better I post it from there? Or maybe just maye I make it all the way to your part of the USA!?