Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2016, 11:37 AM   #1

Changing the thermostat

Last experiment......I hope.

Since it was time to check the valve clearances again, and all the side panels and fuel tank had to be removed, it was an opportune time to install the higher temperature (90 C) (194F) thermostat:

In order for the new thermostat to fit, part of the ledge inside the thermostat housing needs to be removed.

If you are worried about messing up the stock housing, you can order a spare from CSC:

http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/product-p/z24-100.htm

I have restored the OCS to the stock configuration.

Another 1,000 miles and another oil analysis.

Then will decide on the final configuarion of the thermostat and the crankcase venting.

jb

Old 11-05-2016, 02:17 PM   #2

I'm very excited to hear the results of your final test and oil analysis and then I can mirror what your final 'recommendation' is!

Old 11-05-2016, 04:54 PM   #3

Venting the crankcase to the airbox is probably a great idea, in terms of reducing pollution. At the same time there is the question of what all that blowby is doing to the engine internals. I just disconnected the blowby hose at the airbox and fed that hose to a catch can. The airbox hole is now plugged.

You can see that the OCS is still in place. I'm thinking that water vapor will most likely collect in the drain tube. After a 50 mile ride I revved the engine up and could not feel any blowby even at 5-6K rpm.

I am running a 90C thermostat. The engine maintains 4 bars almost all the time. My last oil analysis showed almost no fuel in the oil.

Peter Y.

Old 11-05-2016, 05:21 PM   #4

Peter,

What are you using for the catchcan?

jb

Old 11-05-2016, 05:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjmartin View Post
I'm very excited to hear the results of your final test and oil analysis and then I can mirror what your final 'recommendation' is!
Joe, I don't know if I will make a recommendation....only report my findings.........since altering the stock emissions configuration is illegal in the US, the EU, and probably most other places.

jb

Old 11-05-2016, 07:47 PM   #6

jb, I made my own. The can is 1" ID aluminum with end caps welded on. One end cap has a 1/2' spigot so I can attach the stock hose. I drilled a few 1/4" holes in the can so I allow for air movement. So far I cannot feel much air being pushed out but I can smell it if I really concentrate at a stop. That might be my imagination! Remember, I have a mill and lathe. I'm retired with too much time on my hands. I made a spare.

Old 11-05-2016, 08:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
...... Remember, I have a mill and lathe. I'm retired with too much time on my hands. I made a spare.
I would make you an offer on your spare, but I have already ordered one that I will give a try when it arrives.

Most of the catch cans available on eBay are much too large to use on a motorcycle.

As I was thinking on this, the OCS cannister, in combination with its collection tube, is a type of oil catch can device.

jb