Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2017, 12:11 PM   #16

I read in the owners manual of my 2013 Suzuki GW250 (Made in China) that the brake-in oil was NOT normal oil. It supposedly was special oil only for the purpose of break-in. Or perhaps it was normal oil with an additive specifically for break-in, not really sure. It was my first new bike so I assumed all manufactures used special oil but perhaps not. This may explain why some report a funky smell when changing first oil on a CB. I didn't notice any weird smell when I first changed my TT250 oil but I didn't intentionally smell it either.

Does anyone know if there are manufacturers that use a special break-in oil or not?

Old 01-01-2017, 12:23 PM   #17

This is pretty big chatter over a quart.....
I'll take mine frosty cold please. ;-)

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Last edited by 2LZ; 02-06-2019 at 10:18 AM.

Old 01-01-2017, 12:49 PM   #18

I'll take a Stella please, it has a funky smell as well and its SUPPOSED to!

Break-in is a special period for an engine so why not have special oil? Even on the GW250/Inazuma forums many changed the oil prematurely to get that "crap" out of their engine. I figure if the engineers and manufacturer put it in there its probably there for a good reason. I take mine out when the people who's name is on the engine recommend it.

Old 01-01-2017, 02:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker_Andy View Post
I'll take a Stella please, it has a funky smell as well and its SUPPOSED to!

Break-in is a special period for an engine so why not have special oil? Even on the GW250/Inazuma forums many changed the oil prematurely to get that "crap" out of their engine. I figure if the engineers and manufacturer put it in there its probably there for a good reason. I take mine out when the people who's name is on the engine recommend it.
Andy, I imagine that you have also read that synthetic oil is "too slippery" for break in use. Just like honing a cylinder after boring, certain surface textures exist on new parts, especially those that are machined but don't have a "finishing" process, such as polishing. Gears and sprockets are two such examples.

An oil that is *too protective* prevents the necessary contact which knocks off the high spots of the metal, allowing a polishing effect. The old BMW airheads were especially known for rough shifting transmissions until they seated in, usually around 50,000-70,000 miles.

So one might draw the conclusion that break in oil is a lower grade, but not necessarily bad stuff. Joe Berk shared that Shell 10w-30 is installed at the factory, at first oil change a higher grade is advised, 10w-40 or 20w40.

Forgot where I was going with this. Nap time.

Old 01-01-2017, 04:45 PM   #20

I think we are dealing with an old wives tale (break-in oil) that probably goes back to the 40s or 50s when cars were shipped with engine oil that was supposed to help seat the rings. Manufacturing processes were, by comparison to today, pretty crude. Now the manufacturing tolerances are much tighter and engines are built with that in mind. Lots of new cars are shipped with full synthetic (my Ducati and Stelvio were too). Just change the oil on a regular basis, use a good quality oil, and ride that sucker.

Peter Y.

Old 01-01-2017, 05:25 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
I think we are dealing with an old wives tale (break-in oil) that probably goes back to the 40s or 50s when cars were shipped with engine oil that was supposed to help seat the rings. Manufacturing processes were, by comparison to today, pretty crude. Now the manufacturing tolerances are much tighter and engines are built with that in mind. Lots of new cars are shipped with full synthetic (my Ducati and Stelvio were too). Just change the oil on a regular basis, use a good quality oil, and ride that sucker.

Peter Y.
At last some common sence....

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 01-01-2017, 08:11 PM   #22

Quote:
.......... Lots of new cars are shipped with full synthetic (my Ducati and Stelvio were too)......Peter Y.
New Triumphs come with full synthetic oil, as do new Toyotas.

jb

Old 01-01-2017, 08:53 PM   #23

It's terrific how metallurgy, chemistry, and processing have advanced, and how we get to benefit from it.

Have pondered with a few of my grey beard friends what would be the result of using modern capabilities to make a Velocette Venom, Norton Commando, Royal Enfield Interceptor, or a Vincent Black Shadow. You know, the bikes of legend which broke parts because the technology wasn't up to the output?

Now we find out who the high mileage folks are on this forum. <chuckle>

Hands up if you've owned a bike that had a manual ignition advance on the handlebars.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:40 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
Hands up if you've owned a bike that had a manual ignition advance on the handlebars.
Not me....but my Norton Commando had an auto advance that could not be trusted. I always wore heavy boots when starting that sucker. Every once in a while it would try to launch me over the handlebar or break my leg.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:29 AM   #25

I dont remember that...but my Uncle started tagging along with his dad (my grandpa) in the early 30's...drove big rigs . He rembers the price of diesel fuel was 12 gallons for a dollar. He also had solid rubber tires and a chain drive 1922 White (if memory serves it was a White) truck. Drive from NY to the carolinas I think. Oh...and interstates were still 10+ years in the future.

We forget how hard core we used to be as Americans.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:08 AM   #26

Quote:

Peter Y.
Car break in is virtually non existent as you've stated.
Motorcycles still have a break-in as they don't use the extensive break in coatings cars use.

Different clientel too don't you know.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:09 AM   #27

Speaking of fish oil....the early Japanese bikes would use fish oil in the forks.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:46 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inroads View Post
Speaking of fish oil....the early Japanese bikes would use fish oil in the forks.
Yep, all my old Japanese bikes had it. Just like 90w gear oil, once you get it on you, you'll never forget that smell.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 01-03-2017, 11:09 AM   #29

I changed mine at 50 miles with some 10w40 Valvoline I had spare; the oil that came out of the bike was fine, and the little thimble filter thingy hadn't trapped much.

I said in another thread if the oil should be immediately replaced that CSC would probably advise that; the documentation is pretty thorough.