Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2017, 08:13 PM   #1

Kentucky Adventure Tour

Hey guys, so I want to start getting the bike ready for the KAT. I have a little money to spend, honestly I just want to have fun with out a ton of problems.

After seeing a few ride reports I think taking the Enforcer down there may be a little over its head but your knowledge will definitely help.

The bike is bone stock at this point...only change is that I removed the air restricter out of the muffler to make it louder. I also have an E3 spark plug installed.

Here is a copy of my other post, trying to get some people together for the trip:

""""So I am in Hamilton, Oh and I am wanting to find a couple people interested in heading down to do the Kentucky Adventure Tour. I have seen more than a few ride reports and it looks like a blast. Unfortunately I dont have any friends that dual sport... they all seem to prefer pavement only on their street bikes.

I was hoping to put some feelers out there and start planning the trip.

Please let me know if your interested. I was thinking maybe June or July, maybe we can miss the rainy season. """"

Old 11-19-2017, 08:53 PM   #2

ive taken my hawk on some bad trails and it never failed me yet. worst case you turn around and head back. they have easy and hard trails on the kat.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 11-19-2017, 09:28 PM   #3

Yeah the plan is for the easier trails this go around. Mostly want to stick with dirt and gravel roads. I guess that part of the planning will come about when I find some people to go with.

For now, I am switching over to LED lights, changing out the fork oil, adding the CSC skid plate, and changing out the front inner tube. Back one has already been changed.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:59 PM   #4

there was one trail in canada that consisted of 12" smooth type river rock about 3 miles long. i was whipped by the end of that one then had to go back out at the end of the day. at the end was a nice lake with a log cabin and canoes and fishing equipment that you could reserve in advance. i may do the kat this summer so i may be one thats in just dont know this far in advance.
2009 johnny pag bar hog

Old 11-20-2017, 10:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwhorter-enforcer View Post
Yeah the plan is for the easier trails this go around. Mostly want to stick with dirt and gravel roads. I guess that part of the planning will come about when I find some people to go with.

For now, I am switching over to LED lights, changing out the fork oil, adding the CSC skid plate, and changing out the front inner tube. Back one has already been changed.
Good plan. Also check over the spokes and spoke tension. Not too tight, and not too loose. When you "ping" the spokes, should be no tighter than middle 'C' on the piano, and no looser than the 'C' below middle 'C'. Just use a regular spoke wrench. People tend to over tighten them when they use a torque wrench....ARH

Old 11-21-2017, 07:47 AM   #6

I've ridden some of the KAT, and might be able to join you for some of it when you go...you'll want to wait till early summer, as some of the creek/river crossings will be VERY difficult until the dry season. All I've done of it, I have ridden on my CSC RX3, so you should be fine, as long as you take the main routes, not the "Hard" sections, most of it is gravel and back roads, with a few dirt roads/trails thrown in.

PM me and I'll get you my contact number, as the KAT goes thru a little of the county I live in, and I have a garage, a trailer and tools if you need to service your bike, or have trouble near me.

I don't get much time off from work, so I don't see me being able to go the whole loop with you, but if I can work it in, I'll try to do at least some of the sections closer to me.
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 11-22-2017, 11:06 AM   #7

I think if you get the basics sorted on this bike you would coo fine...fuel, spark, chain spokes, tires, controls and reliable starting. All that other stuff is nice but if resources are limited (like we all are) the bike will get the job done (maybe not record time ). Strap on a tent and bag and get out there. Still amazing how much uphill these little 230's have in them.(as 2LZ calls it, telephone pole climb ability)
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 11-23-2017, 01:23 PM   #8

I do enjoy riding some more advanced trails but I am no means a professional but I have a lot of experience on 4-wheelers but 2 wheels is a lot different but the challenge is great.

My main concern is getting the little bike in over its head. I have taken it on a few rough adventures and the pulling power this thing has in first gear is amazing. I have not found a hill yet this thing will not Truck up slow and steady.

I plan on using an old Motorola cell phone as my gps. It is pretty much indestructible. With that said any idea's on a good waterproof USB charging if system that is easy to splice in?

Old 11-23-2017, 06:56 PM   #9

most of em just have a wire long enough to reach the battery.
2009 johnny pag bar hog