Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2021, 02:58 PM   #1

Carburetor Tuning?

My son has a TaoTao 110. I just recently replaced the carb on it which was definitely the issue. The problem is when I turn it on now it doesn't stay at idle. It wants to run wide open immediately and tries taking off. Did I install the needle wrong from the throttle cable? Not sure if that is a thing. Was thinking if I have it out of phase 180 then idle thinks it's wide open and vice versa. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-03-2021, 03:15 PM   #2

Make sure the beveled edge of the throttle slide is towards the rear (airbox) end of the carb. The throttle slide is what you pull out of the carb throat to change the throttle cable.

Old 05-03-2021, 11:01 PM   #3

Also check that when you twist the cap back on that it doesn't twist the cable... the twists will pull the slide upward. It basically shortens the cable when that happens

If you loosen the cable from the throttle lever you can undo the twist.

Old 05-04-2021, 12:13 PM   #4

If it is a 110cc unit it probably has a CV carb, the throttle probably does not actuate through the slide cap. It will have a pully on the side that the throttle cable moves to accelerate.

Did you set the air/fuel mixture and idle speed?

That would be a procedure on installing a new carb, and sounds like your problem. They are not "preset" from the factory.

There are a thousand videos on you-tube showing the procedure. Just make sure you are watching a scooter or ATV adjustment.

They also have an "automatic choke" that runs fast when started and slows when it warms up. You have to let them warm before setting the idle.

Tags
carburetors, newbie, tuning