Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Dealer & Distributor Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 11:23 PM   #1

new ways from american lifan

this is only my second post but i need somewhere to vent and thought this may intrest some of you please excuse anything i need excused
and now the rest of the story....... i am a dealer for a.l. a scooter i sold returned after i sold it 20 days before(i register the warranty online at the time of sell). i checked everything i could and thought it had a carb problem but couldnt see anything, called lifan got a second opnion and agreed new carb and sent the papers needed by fax..... two weeks later no parts but a irate owner threating who wanted lifans # so i gave it to him, i dont know what was said personaly so i wont go there. then after calling and callingwith no luck on talking to anybody :evil: i called on a cell phone and they picked up on first ring. :evil: :evil: they told me that the scooter was not under warranty and was sold at another dealership. i checked my numbers the parts order, mso and the bike even the box it was shipped in all the same then the "tech" guy told me to use the numbers from another bike since the computer had made a mistake 8O at any rate i did it (i really didnt like it,seems a lot like a lie even if instructed) two more weeks no parts i think my next step is the state board who will be informed monday they (al) were good when i started but now :( my big question is since they are the ONLY ONES who follow the goverment regulations would they know they shipped me the bike, i may need to restate i was a american lifan dealer but that may change after they see this :wink:

Old 08-30-2008, 12:01 AM   #2

Well thats sorry to hear.I hope for you and your customers sake you can get it worked out somehow but it sounds bad.

Maybe someone should drive over to A.L's office's and open a window or door as it really REALLY appears that they have run short of oxygen in the head offfice which is causing they're brains to malfunction a bit.
(or if you got a roll of duct tape .........seal it up tight)

Old 08-30-2008, 01:56 PM   #3

Hi Phil:
Could I get you to update your signature to reflect that you are a dealer. (Providing you're in business ) Thanks.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:14 PM   #4

It looks, Phil, as if you're another in an ever increasing lineup of American Lifan dealers and customers who are finding it impossible to carry on normal business relations with the AL Dallas office. And to top all that off, as of this morning the American Lifan website at http://www.americanlifan.com/ is also down.

Not only is American Lifan failing to respond to phone calls (which is understandable since they have nothing in the warehouse to ship in the way of parts or product), but the skeleton crew that's still there appears to be basically clueless when it comes to dealing with the crisis that AL and the entire China bike industry is going through.

For what it may be worth the following link is to one of the most detailed discussion threads I've yet seen in respect to the state of affairs that the China bike industry world wide finds itself in: http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380

Hope everything works out for you Phil, but at that same time I don't think you'd be smart to place much confidance in American Lifan or any other China bike line right at the moment.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:35 PM   #5

hopefully this fixes the signature, sorry ironfist i didnt click enough. :oops:
i dont rely on chinese motorcycles to eat, truth is i am a car shop that added on motorcycles,atvs, and scooters because i like them and they are fun im still working on them making a profit
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 08-30-2008, 07:48 PM   #6

Thanks, Phil

Tigertamer

CAUTION
Obey The Traffic Regulation.
Always Wear a Helmet.
Don't Ride After Drinking Wine.
Before Operation, Read The Owners Manual Carefully.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:56 AM   #7

I tried to do business through AL, but quickly got frustrated for a number of reasons and wound up buying my bike from a west coast importer and so far, am happy with the deal.

After reading a lot of posts concerning AL and their practices, I have reached the opinion that they tried through PR, instead of customer service, to establish their position as the primary Lifan source, and as has been said, BS talks and action walks, and it didn't take long for people to realize that AL's promises were more style than substance.

I think they closed down their forum 'cause they were embarrased to be taking so much flak on their own site . . .

Luke, 11: 21

Old 08-31-2008, 10:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by winwun
I tried to do business through AL, but quickly got frustrated for a number of reasons and wound up buying my bike from a west coast importer and so far, am happy with the deal..
Just wondering if you've had to ask your west coast Lifan importer for parts or warranty service so far, and if so how did that work out?

Quote:
After reading a lot of posts concerning AL and their practices, I have reached the opinion that they tried through PR, instead of customer service, to establish their position as the primary Lifan source..
Actually American Lifan is/was a wholly owned subsidiary of China Lifan, and as the discussion thread at http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380 so clearly demonstrates, a major problem Chinese corporations have is not understanding what it takes to promote and market their products here in the States as well as in other western countries. Mainly Chinese bike manufacturers are about pushing product by the container load, and servicing what they sell doesn't register with them in the same way it does for example with Japanese or European motorcycle companies.

Quote:
..as has been said, BS talks and action walks, and it didn't take long for people to realize that AL's promises were more style than substance.
And this is not just a problem with American Lifan, but with essentially all the present crop of Chinese motorcycle exporters. Once again, the discussion thread at http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380 illustrates these problems in a clear and concise manner, and is well worth the read time.

Quote:
..I think they closed down their forum 'cause they were embarrassed to be taking so much flak on their own site . . .
100% in agreement. American Lifan simply has no real capacity for dealing with issues that resonate with US consumers, and their forum was quickly becoming a major embarrassment for that very reason.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:31 PM   #9

im glad to see winwun is happy with his deal as i am the one who sent him there 8O i couldnt sell something they (a.l.) didnt have and the big problem is how could i sell him something that didnt have any support or parts and now i have to worry about some of the bikes i have sold and my personal bikes i have found there is a diffrence in parts, and i would love if somebody could tell me where to get cdi boxes etc. and yes they look the same but if you try one youll let the smoke out i think winwun will have better support with hooper at least i hope he does

Old 08-31-2008, 02:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil
im glad to see winwun is happy with his deal as i am the one who sent him there 8O i couldnt sell something they (a.l.) didnt have and the big problem is how could i sell him something that didnt have any support or parts and now i have to worry about some of the bikes i have sold and my personal bikes i have found there is a diffrence in parts, and i would love if somebody could tell me where to get cdi boxes etc. and yes they look the same but if you try one youll let the smoke out i think winwun will have better support with hooper at least i hope he does
I've read all your posts at A.L. 8)

You did everything in you power to help your customers and non customers, as well!:wink:

Maybe things will sort themselves out at A.L., in the mean time, make yourself at home, and we can try to figure out a coup d’état, to take over the Chino-American tin-horse market :idea:

A lot of tempers are flaring right now with the sluggishness and feet-dragging!

The impotant thing for you, and your good reputation is, You are still trying to make good your commitments

When the going gets tough, the tough get going!

Kudos, Phil,
Tigertamer

CAUTION
Always Wear a Helmet.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:33 PM   #11

Quote:
..how could i sell him something that didn't have any support or parts and now i have to worry about some of the bikes i have sold and my personal bikes i have found there is a diffrence in parts, and i would love if somebody could tell me where to get cdi boxes etc..
http://www.china-parts.co.uk/

Don't know if there is a similar outfit here in the States, but in the UK it looks as if this company is doing what they can to service China bike owners and riders with parts availability. Might be something to duplicate here if it's not already in place..

Update: Just noticed that this company ships not only to the UK, but also to the US, Australia, the EU and Canada. So if the worst case pops its ugly head up and a part to get a China bike running is nowhere to be found here, it wouldn't hurt to contact these guys. Who knows, they might be able to bail someone out of a real jam..

Old 08-31-2008, 02:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az4x4Taco
Quote:
..how could i sell him something that didn't have any support or parts and now i have to worry about some of the bikes i have sold and my personal bikes i have found there is a diffrence in parts, and i would love if somebody could tell me where to get cdi boxes etc..
http://www.china-parts.co.uk/

Don't know if there is a similar outfit here in the States, but in the UK it looks as if this company is doing what they can to service China bike owners and riders with parts availability. Might be something to duplicate here if it's not already in place..
I just added that site to my favorites!

If they are bread-and-butter Chinese consumables, then chances are good that they will have available parts for the highest bidder...I can afford a few more peanuts if needed to keep my investment functional when the U.S. sources dry-out!

Tigertamer

CAUTION
Always Wear a Helmet.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:19 PM   #13

What is going on

This whole thread has really started to get me worried. I have always known that thier have always been issued with the Chinese Market importing into the United States especially with the issue on support and providing support for thier bike.

I did my homework and when it came time to purchase a China bike I went with what I thought at time seem like a good bike with good support, I ordered a Lifan GY-5. With all this recent thread and especially with the fact that the American Lifan website is down, and their forum being down as well. I am scared that I might never see my bike, that was ordered back in July.

I knew their was going to have to be a wait because they were out of stock back in Dallas. But what the ***k, Whats going to happen now? Does anyone know the real reason that they website is down? Whats really going on? These questions have probably been answered and I just didnt read previous replies thoroughly. I hope this all works itself out. I hope I get to see my bike.

The Citadel

LF200GY-5

Old 08-31-2008, 03:34 PM   #14

i would like to think everyone for the kind words, i feel i was just doing my part. i have been trying to do some research in some of the ignition and charging specs and have noticed diffrences between lifan and other chinese brands. maybe if need be hooper can help me. and i can post my results but really am not smart enough to know how. (thats a hint for ironfist)
i have found other companies that are doing a good job for now how soon that changes is anybodys guess heck, even roketa has improved
i also wonder when the chinese companies will learn that it is all up to the distributor to make there brand strong they pick the dealers, they stock the parts and make all the decisions. i just wish they would pick somebody who knows this to run their operations.
right now from all i have seen i like apollo altough they are quickly adding what i think are too many choices, and i know not many of you have looked at them but the zongshen seems to be a better machine than what lifan offered and have been doing a fair job so far.

Old 08-31-2008, 04:43 PM   #15

az4, I have had to call Hooper a couple of times for help when I perceived a problem with my machine, and both times he quickly talked me through the problem.

Both times were when the instruction book was at odds with the way the machine was built, the chinese seeming to think an accurate instruction book is unnecessary.

I am learning that, to get along with chinese stuff, one needs to "think outside (WAY outside) the box" when trying to interpret their manuals and mind-set.

Should it become necessary to gets parts/labor, I have no idea how that will play out, but so far, I have noticed that the Trailrider is a pure clone of the old Honda machines, and I have a bunch of parts and part bikes dating way back.

FWIW, I ride a 650 Rincon, and have experienced some pretty significant problems, even with the reputation Honda has in this country, so as with autos, TVs, mowers, and practically every consumable item anymore, my west coast Lifan is probably no more of a crap shoot than a lot of things.

Luke, 11: 21

Closed Thread