Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-28-2023, 03:21 PM   #1

Tbr7 electrical question

Hey yall. So got an issue with my tbr7 that im having a bit of a hard time figuring out. Went to adjust the headlight. Reassembled everything now nothing gets power with the key turned on. No horn, no turn signals, nothing on the dash. Checked all the pins in all the connectors and are solid. Tried wiggling around the wires in different directions but nothing. When I kick it, the headlight flickers on as if its trying to start but doesnt start. Checked the battery positive, good and no corrosion ~13v. No blown fuses. Before taking it off to adjust it, it did have an issue where to get power I would just put the handle bars to the right and move around some of the wires in the harness under the dash. Had zip tied the harness to prevent it from any wires getting loose and more or less fixed it before. Checked the wiring diagram and it the colors dont match whats on the bike. Thinking maybe a messed up positive wire somewhere? Just no clue where it could be

Edit 4: Lol. This is getting indepth lol. But! I had progress! Hail marry attempt. Decided to pop out the old 10amp fuse for a 15amp fuse, just to hope I could get atleast something (short term for testing only). Turned the key, it waved in power per say. Not fully all at once just faded in. Checked voltage every and anywhere. Everything worked except the starter and starter soleinoid. Neither got power and found the fucking issue. From the starter relay, back tracked the wires and found this small resistor that was burnt out(red/yellow to brown or red/yellow to green/yellow(switched colors when going into the harness)) Gonna order another said something 204 and try that and update lateron. When I pressed the starter button it gave an audible clunk, so I know the electromagnet in it is engaging. Gonna order another just to be on the safe side of things. With the power on checked for a short or something wrong everywhere. No shorts/bad connections at all. Everything got voltage as it should have.

Edit5: Got it all fixed up. Replaced the resistor and all works well now. Did forget to mention I changed out the battery and that helped get the voltage right. Went one with 100cca or so if anybody is curious. Just a bit more oomf compared to the stock/previous battery. Did also find the exact root of the dash and everything turning off(having to jiggle around the wires under the dash). It was the connector for the ignition. Zip tied each side of the connector onto my forks to prevent them from moving around at all.

Edit: Kicking it with the key off results in no headlight flickering on and no dash. Kicking it with the key on, the dash does flicker the neutral light on

Edit2: I got it to run, somewhat. Checked continuity in all the positive power wires from all the way from the battery. Everything works fine on paper. Kicking it did activate the turn signals, the turn signal beeper, the horn, and everything as if it was fully powered on. The thing that confuses the hell out of me. When I kick it, and hold the starter button, the starter activated and it runs? Lol. Theft prevention I guess? Lmao. Only with the key in the on position though

Edit3: Retested continuity, applied dielectric grease to all connections. Retested the battery voltage, sitting close to 16v now. Not entirely sure why. The fuse is giving close to 1600 on a resistance test (I think ohms is the measurement, but it looks fine with no burnt anything). Tested continuity all the way from the positive red wire in the ignition switch to all of the other connectors using a resistance test. Gets continuity at close .2. So to my understanding everything should be getting power. But when I flip my key on, nothing gets power at all. Tested it all from the green wire on the igntion switch. Same results, everything should be getting power. Tested the battery at the fuse to the igntion switch red wire, was close to .2 as well. Idk if theres a ground im missing somewhere? Really struggling to figure this out, would really appreciate some kind of guidance. Just dunno at all whats going wrong. Bikes takes a good 30 kicks from tdc( guessing its from the low miles (1500km) and not fully broken in) if not more kicks. Another thing I tested was just putting the positive terminal of the battery right onto the starter itself, No sparks, nothing at all. Just lost tbh

1998 Suzuki Intruder VS800 (bobbed out)
2021 Sur Ron Lightbee Supermoto (Heavily modified up to 40hp peak)

Last edited by Zynice; 11-08-2023 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Added the extra edits