Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2010, 03:26 PM   #1

New gio x35 keeps stalling...Help!

Help! Just bought an x35 Friday. Took it out Saturday and can't keep it from stalling. At first it only happened when I reached high acceleration but after a while it barely stays running. Once it stalls I have to wait a minute for it to start again and the problem begins all over. What do I do? I'm no mechanic.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:39 PM   #2

Tank not venting?

Old 11-21-2010, 03:49 PM   #3

Does the choke seem to be working ok? Did you buy it from a dealer already assembled or get it off the auction and put it together yourself?

Old 11-21-2010, 04:22 PM   #4

Since it will restart after waiting a minute, I'd be inclined to check the fuel cap, like Kato says. Is there a short vent hose on top of the fuel cap? If so, try removing it and see if the problem goes away. Be careful, because gas might squirt out of the hose. I just use a length of vacuum hose and direct it into the steering stem.

If that doesn't fix it, does the choke have multiple settings? Does it make any difference where the choke is positioned when you have trouble?

BTW, it doesn't matter what the plug says on it, I'd promptly change it for an NGK from Canadian Tire. Several of the plugs in China bikes have been fakes.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-21-2010, 04:22 PM   #5

Hoe would I know if the tank isn't venting? I bought it assembled. I am out on it now and I tried turning the carb adjustment screw on the right side. Seemed to improve slightly but the problem is still happening. I think I am going to tinker more with the idle screw. Any suggestions?

Old 11-21-2010, 04:25 PM   #6

Ill try the gas tank cap hose now. The choke seems to be working.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:31 PM   #7

If simply removing the hose doesn't work, try removing the entire gas cap. Please be careful when testing.

The cap might have a check valve in it that is stuck, perhaps due to some plastic flash from the mold process.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-21-2010, 05:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
If simply removing the hose doesn't work, try removing the entire gas cap. Please be careful when testing.

The cap might have a check valve in it that is stuck, perhaps due to some plastic flash from the mold process.
I was going to suggest loosening it some but not taking it right off, but either will work. ... probably better to take it right off but it could be a bit messier.

How is your idle adjustment?

Old 11-21-2010, 05:27 PM   #9

I adjusted the idle and it seemed to improve butit went right back to the same problem shortly after. Switched the apark plug and same thing. Loosened the gas cap , removed the hose, didn't pull the cap off though as I saw gas squirting out when riding with the hose off.

Not sure what else to do. Going to bring it back to the guy that sold it to me and see if he can figure it out I guess. Not sure if he will help but I hope so.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:12 PM   #10

One of my Lifan Hondoids had a kinked fuel line that slowed flow enough to cause the same issue. Check for that. It sounds like a fuel flow issue to me.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:13 PM   #11

Although I can't test this right now it sounds like it may be hopeful. I just saw a bend that might be considered a kink. I'll check it out tomorrow. Thanks.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:53 PM   #12

That could be it. Replace the fuel line and add a small generic filter while you're at it. $5 at the parts store and you will be set. I hope...

Old 11-22-2010, 12:58 AM   #13

I've also heard of bits of plastic from the tank ending up in the fuel line. Like Doc says, some new fuel line should cure it, and an inline filter is cheap insurance. Just ask for a USA-made filter if available at your local bike shop, because I had a Chinese one come apart on me. Hot engines and pouring fuel are a bad combo. 8O

I use the blue snowmobile fuel line from the bike shop; I can see fuel flowing through it, and I figure it's gotta be good in colder temps.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:17 AM   #14

Do what W&G says. Best to upgrade now to avoid the inevitable china rubber failure. Often the lines are too long and kinked.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:14 AM   #15

Also make sure you oil the air filter as this probably hasn't been done yet by the dealer.