Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2011, 03:05 AM   #16

You are a godsend. I was having trouble justifying buying all new valves just for the springs. The springs on it look almost new. Going to check the piston rings tomorrow, the guy I bought them from said he thought that was the problem but while cleaning te engine up today I found some bad connections in the harness that goes to the cdi
I think that just may be the culprit.

Also noticed its missing the front brake line from the handle. Time to hunt that down!

Old 06-11-2011, 03:24 AM   #17

Aww, shucks.

Regarding the bolts for the head, those will be very specific and not likely easily found at a hardware store. Try to estimate the length of the bolts you need, and I'll compare that with my bolts. Migfht as well ship it all at once.

What do you mean by front brake line? Do you mean the hose?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-11-2011, 03:32 AM   #18

The brake hose that comes out of the master cylinder on the handle bars.

The bolts are all of these on the website.

http://www.roketapartsdept.com/catal...RTS-415-1.html

I'm pretty sure I have them, especially all of the ones from the engine. Its the frame mounts that I'm not positive on.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:35 AM   #19

Ok, that won't be too hard to find locally. Perhaps you could even drill out the mounts and use grade 5 SAE bolts.

The best bet would be to buy a complete front brake assembly; it'll be cheap on eBay.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-11-2011, 03:51 AM   #20

Yeah. I'm going to look around. Until then, I rarely use the front brake anyway :twisted:

Old 06-11-2011, 10:18 AM   #21

I just sent a front brake line off yesterday along with the caliper. I will send him a message and if he doesn't need it maybe he can send it to you.

Allen

Old 06-12-2011, 12:17 AM   #22

I think I just might have found the most helpful community around!

That would be quite kind of you, and possibly the second person as well. I knew picking up a 6 year old china bike would be interesting to get parts, but you all are downright spoiling me!

Old 06-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #23

He will let me know if he doesn't need the line.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:45 AM   #24

Just out of curiosity, why did the original owner tear it down? Was it burning oil or just not starting?

Old 06-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #25

Not sure. Guy I bought it from got it as a project. He sold it because he had quite a few projects going.

That's why as I'm putting it together I'm making sure everything is in good working order. If I know its mechanically sound ill know to dig into the wiring and electrical.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:36 AM   #26

Checked the piston rings tonight, can't fit the smallest feeler between the ring and bottom edge. Rings still turn easily around the piston though.

As for the opening, it is at the upper end of the spectrum, .406 and .457 for the top and middle rings, didn't check the oil rings but they are right in line with the previous.

Does this seem alright, or better get new rings?

Old 06-13-2011, 02:41 AM   #27

When you say the opening, do you mean the ring gap? Are you measuring it with the ring in the bore and not mounted on the piston?

Old 06-13-2011, 11:01 AM   #28

Yes ring gap and yes in the bore without the piston

Old 06-13-2011, 11:15 AM   #29

According to my Clymer Honda manual that covers '84 and '85 XR200R models, the ring end gap on the top and second rings should be between 0.10 and 0.30mm. The oil ring spec is 0.2-0.7. Yeah, I'd get new rings.

BTW, the side clearance is listed as 0.015-0.045mm for the top and second ring.

When I rebuilt an XR200R recently, I used a master cylinder hone for the bore. I think I bought a Lisle (vs the generic Chinese model) because the stones are replaceable. I also found a small piston ring compressor for cheap. I hate breaking rings.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:30 AM   #30

New rings are ordered. I have a hone and ring compressor to use so no worries there.

I wish I knew what the problem was but since I don't on checking everything. Except the bottom end which Im not going to tear into until I get the top end rebuilt. Atleast then if its not operational I can diagnose the problem.