Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2009, 09:26 PM   #1

No connection to CB's: Flying in the desert NorthWest!

I took a ride with a pretty girl in the airplane today after church. We flew to Condon, Oregon, about 100 miles southeast of here. Took about 45 minutes each way. The weather was perfect, clear, cool, and calm with unlimited ceiling and visibility. We saw Mts. Ranier, Adams, Hood, Sisters, Bachelor, St. Helens, Stuart, and even Shasta and a bit of Lassen. NINE volcanos! Life is good.

Condon has a cropduster field, but anyone can land there. It's close to the John Day River. It's a farming/ranching community, and so beautiful!

Everone (about 4 vehicles) who drove by while we were walking to town from the strip stopped to ask if we needed a ride, and everyone had a smile for us. It was 1 1/2 miles to town from the landing strip. It was like we landed in Maybury in 1959. Population about 200, if you cound bird dogs.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:28 PM   #2

Note Mt. Hood in the background of the pic of the airport sign. The river at sunset is the mighty Columbia, I took that on the descent into my home field in Washington. You can see Mt. Hood and Mt. Adams in the sunset picture on the horizon. Note the moon in the pic of the airstrip with the cropduster. The girl is Debbie.

The sermon in church today was about being thankful and joyous in all things. That was easy today. Almost forgot the other stuff!

Old 11-30-2009, 01:05 AM   #3

Looks like a good place to retire to

Old 11-30-2009, 02:46 AM   #4

Thanks for the photos Doc! We drove to St. Helens this year and it was totally worth it. It looks like you had clearer skies than we had.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-30-2009, 11:33 AM   #5

This was an unusually clear day. If you like I can go through my archives and find some cool aerial pics of Mt. St. Helen's.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:48 AM   #6

That's a nice plane, I've never seen or heard of one of those before but it's been 12 years since I've been around planes. When I was younger I used to fuel planes at a local small airport and I loved it when one of those Grumman Agcats would pull up. The other dusters are pretty tough as well but I'm not familiar with the different models.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
This was an unusually clear day. If you like I can go through my archives and find some cool aerial pics of Mt. St. Helen's.
That would be great Doc, especially if they're active shots; St. Helens is dormant now. :(

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-30-2009, 12:31 PM   #8

Some more mountain flying pictures of the Washington Cascades:

Old 11-30-2009, 12:34 PM   #9

I have some better close up's of MSH but not on my work computer. The site of the mudflow and the obliterated river is amazing. I think it's called a lahar.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:04 PM   #10

I'm guessing that the second last shot is either the South side of Baker, or the West view of Ranier. Stunning photos, BTW.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:29 PM   #11

West of Ranier, good eye!

Old 11-30-2009, 07:13 PM   #12

Where's my rifle?!

Old 12-07-2009, 06:24 PM   #13

Those are beautiful photos, Doc. Thank you for sharing them.

The photograph before Debbie's photo looks as if it were taken above Hermiston, Oregon; is that correct? I lived in Hermiston for about two years, and I always enjoyed the view looking west as I crossed the Columbia River into Washington.

I have been blessed to climb to the summits of Mount Hood, Mount Adams, and Mount Saint Helens. Mount Rainier, however, was my last climb. While ascending Disappointment Cleaver at 10,800 feet above sea level, I fell eighteen vertical feet. :( Miraculously, I walked away with only minor bruises, and descended back to Camp Muir! :o On that occasion I have no doubt God spared me from serious injury, or death. I accepted this blessing as a sign for me to hang up the crampons, so I retired from mountaineering.

I paused to take the following photograph just before I reached the summit of Mount Hood. God is great, and His creations are beautiful!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-08-2009, 03:46 PM   #14

Nice pics guys!!!

Old 12-08-2009, 05:01 PM   #15

Great pics, Spud. You've had some wonderful experiances! Nice to meet people who understand that life is not a dress rehearsal. Shoot your TV, get out there and DO while you CAN!
Glad you were spared from serious injury on your fall. That could have been the ball game. I understand such things.