Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2015, 01:58 PM   #1

Grin 2009 Tmec 200 Overhaul

As Promised, here is my post/depiction of the Tmec I bought a few months back for a few hundred bucks. The bike was running and driving up until about 4 weeks ago. I purchased it with: no air filter, broken mirrors, red plastics that had been painted black, no cover for the counter sprocket, holes drilled in the exhaust with a bolt through the middle holding the front and rear pieces together, a broken head stud that had broken the head when removal was attempted by the previous owner tried, front brake lever was broken, a broken speedometer needle, bent handle bars, poorly tuned carburetor, and several other janky home remedies riddled across it from top to bottom.

Here is a list of things I have completed or am aiming to repair/ replace along the way during this rebuild. All photos I have taken are shown at:http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/cb...n0513/profile/

Here are the new bars and grips proceeding the master cylinder and new handle being installed.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

This is the master cylinder being painted after soaking and being cleaned.
[IMG][/IMG]

Originally I had no idea where to find a new brake lever to fit this bike, so I purchased an entirely different master cylinder and lever assembly... Only to find out my brake light switch would not fit. Here is a shot of the OE switch that we ended up staying with. We also stayed with the OE Master and an OE lever that we found from Excaliper.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Though I am still deciding what sprockets to run, here are the pictures of my OE counter sprocket(17T), retainer, and rear sprocket (56T).
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I didn't really take pictures of the plugs that get removed and swapped to the new cluster, but here is the new cluster installed.
[IMG][/IMG]

I'll add more as time allows! I have pictures and stories for days.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:33 PM   #2

Very nice progress. You will have it all knocked out in no time. What are you going to do about the broken/stripped exhaust head bolt?

/

Old 11-19-2015, 06:08 PM   #3

Excaliper happened to have a 10 mile motor laying around from a show room bike and sent me the entire engine assembly. I plan to use the 2014 head on my 09' jug to produce a like new engine. I'll be sure to post pics as to how badly it really was broken.

Also, has anyone ever swapped the 2014+ rear master cylinder onto an 09' style?

Old 11-19-2015, 06:21 PM   #4

Nice progress but wow....it's the past owner that gives China Bikes a bad name....not the bike itself. According to the tire tread, it looks like all this abuse was done in very few miles. You're more like a China Bike Rescue! Good job! :-)

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 11-19-2015, 08:21 PM   #5

Thanks dude!
I'm doing all I can to make it right and SICK in some cases. This guy pretty much trashed it and I just want to make it as close to stock or better as I possibly can.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:30 PM   #6

Good for you for resurrecting an abused China bike; I think most of my bikes have come to me in similar (or worse) condition.

Can you just swap in the entire 10 mile motor?

Awesome that you'll have a bike with zero miles on it! You're doing a great job; thanks for sharing your progress.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-19-2015, 08:51 PM   #7

The new engine will probably have the smog device. Just be aware...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 11-19-2015, 08:55 PM   #8

I had to weigh my options here. The engine that was sent was dressed up over the phone to be complete minus a starter... I received it with no exterior components or covers. The time and effort to swap it all would be monumental given all the extra odds and ends I already have to sort through and deal with. Though a fresh bottom end would be nice, I based my opinion on the head I tore off. It was very nice inside. The bike had 2000 miles total on it when I purchased it and not much more because it wasn't equipped with basic engine parts like an air filter, oil filter, etc.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
The new engine will probably have the smog device. Just be aware...
No smog devices included. It was a bare minimum engine. I did however order a master cylinder for the rear... But it is a complete 180 from the OE 2009 model in every way shape and form. I'm not against the new master, but the caliper doesn't cover 1/2 the disk that the rear used to. Any input on integrating the newer rear brake system onto and 09' model?

Old 11-20-2015, 10:57 AM   #10

It's faster to just buy the correct setup on eBay. You'll be able to see pics, and confirm that it matches your original setup. Should be really cheap.

Keep your search terms generic, like "dirt bike brake." I've seen the master cylinder commonly referred to as a brake pump.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-20-2015, 11:37 AM   #11

The problem is that I already have the 2014 model entire rear brake kit... I found one in CA so I snatched it up thinking that I most likely wouldn't find another original one in the US. WASTE OF MONEY. The brackets don't line up and the lever system id slightly different. It could be used, but it would involve a hefty amount of custom fabrication. I'll keep hunting for now. Anyone that may need it can PM me.

I'll post it in the For Sale section once I know I have the proper one.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:32 PM   #12

You're doing a great job. Thanks for posting the excellent photos.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Tags
chassis, engine, full build, parts, tmec 200