Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2006, 05:52 PM   #1

Changed my battery location

Moved the battery on my Lifan motored Honda XR200. Before, I had hollowed out the rear of the set pad from underneath, stuck the battery in, and made a cover plate.

This didnt work out so well. The battery, an ES4LBS from Walmart, used AGM technology, glass matting between the plates. This is to help out with vibration problems. These batteries are also supposed to be able to be mounted at up to 90deg, on their sides, with no problem. No such luck! Acid leaked out. Not many places to drop a battery into the XR200 chassis...

So, I took a battery box donated by some china bike, fell off on my local trails where I picked it up. I cut the box down so that no sharp edges were above the top of the battery. The I took some 1/8th thick steel and welded mounting tabs at the base.

All this, so I could bolt it into the toolbag found stock on the rear fenders of Hondas. The bag bolts to the fender, and has good support from the rear frame. The battery fit snugly in the box, and the zippered cover serves to hold the battery down securely.

Passed the 20 mile whooped trail test! Sorry, no pix yet.

Old 12-26-2006, 12:37 AM   #2

hmmm interesting ....where was the original location of the battery? what model xr is it just curious

Old 12-26-2006, 08:43 AM   #3

Originally, there was no battery. Like I said, I had made a hollow in the seat foam, but it didnt work out.

The bike is a '93,Lifan repowered, with longer travel suspension off of an '87, Cobra exhaust, Acerbis headlight/number plate.