Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
View Poll Results: What kind of work do you do?
Professional (Doctor, Lawyer, etc) 6 18.18%
Mechanical 6 18.18%
Technical 5 15.15%
Computer - Software 2 6.06%
Computer - Hardware/networking 4 12.12%
Sales 2 6.06%
Self-Employed 4 12.12%
Service Industry 1 3.03%
Stay at home parent 0 0%
other 3 9.09%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2006, 10:41 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to dlunt
Chain Adjustment

Sorry to keep bringing issues up about the chain but I am confused.

The new Dual Sport Prep page http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...showpage&pid=6
Says:
Quote:
When prepped for shipping (i.e. crated) the chain is setup extremely tight. Loosen the chain to allow for a couple of inches of slack with the rider mounted..
The manual for LF200GY-5 says that for the chain to be in adjustment it should have 10mm - 20mm play at the bottom of the chain while on a center stand.
This is a Big difference.
20 mm is about 3/4 ".
2" is 50mm.

Which is right? If I try to keep mine at the 10-20mm range it always ends up in the 1.5" - 2' range within 2 rides. If I leave it at this larger amount of play it seems to stay there for 5 or 6 rides before an adjustment is needed.
The larger play does seem to rub on some of the rubber pieces on the frame though.

Can one, or more, of you mechanical genious' with years of experience tell me if my owners book has a mis-translation with the 10mm - 20mm freeplay on the chain.

Oh thank you great and knowledgeable ones!

Old 08-02-2006, 02:35 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to eddyfx Send a message via Yahoo to eddyfx
Sounds like you need a better chain, that is a lot to stretch in such a short period of time.
Is that the original manufacturers chain?
If so it might explain why they went with a 520 chain on some models.

I usually get somebody to bounce on bike,while I put my hand on a portion of the chain that will not catch my hand, and try to collapse the suspension to see if there is too much tension on the chain with a load on, don't want to go over a bump and have the chain becoming a stressed member of the frame.

Generally with a load on it you want to feel a little slack but not have the chain taught and rigid, feeling like it's being stretched.

Not an expert but I play one on the internet........ :wink:

Old 08-02-2006, 08:33 AM   #3

Eddy...hey, I do that too...play an expert on-line!

Anyway...he's right...you DON'T want a tight chain. You want some slack even while sitting on the bike and riding. I have about 1 1/2-2 inches on my Ninja when noboby is sitting on it and about 1/2 inch looseness when on it.

I'd bet they mean 10-20mm when someone is sitting on it. Because that is WAY too tight otherwise.

The QUICKEST way to ruin a chain is to have it too tight. Hmmm...maybe THAT is why there seems to be such problems here with chains? People have them too tight?

But don't keep it loose enough where it can "jump off" the teeth.

Old 08-02-2006, 10:52 AM   #4

I got a lot of chain stretch on the diamo at first, and I know how to adjust chains. The chain is of quite low quality and I plan to order an O ring DID replacement soon. That will fix MY problems with the chain.

BTW, the pole has no corrolation to the subject matter. I voted mechanical, but run my own shop so I'm self employed. Which reminds me, I'd better get off this danged computer and go to work... :?

Old 08-02-2006, 11:15 AM   #5

It was the first poll that I had tried on here. I didn't realize that it linked it directly to the topic of the post. :oops: I thought it created a seperate item.
Thanks for the chain tips. I kept thinking that 10-20mm sounded awfully tight. All of my past bikes recomended a lot more free play.

I just checked it while I was sitting on it. It is about 20mm. When I am off the bike it is about 2". I was adjusting it whithout anyone on it, so I was forcing the stretch! Thanks joerocker!!!
I won't ask anymore chain questions...I promise.

Hmm... does anybody make a dual-sport bike with shaft drive? :wink:

Old 08-02-2006, 08:35 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to bfe71730 Send a message via Yahoo to bfe71730
Quote:
Hmm... does anybody make a dual-sport bike with shaft drive?
BMW and Motto Guzzi both make a 1000cc+ shaft drive DS bike, I looked at the MG Quota before I bought my Kazuma and just sitting on it felt like a Fat Boy Harley or equivalent with 24 inches of air. I'm 6ft and was touching ground on my toes, the bike was very top heavy to say the least and I didn't even ask for a test drive.
1983 Honda ATC 200X
1974 Kawasaki KE100

Old 08-02-2006, 09:24 PM   #7

I knew that that there was a shaft beemer DS but didn't know about the MG.
Heavy and expensive. :(
My buddy has a BMW (not DS) and maintenance is expensive, not to mention the fact that there is NO BMW shop in the Indianapolis area.
He has to go 2 hrs to Ft. Wayne or 2.5 hrs to Lousville for service.

Sorry I am getting off topic.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:36 PM   #8

I know when the chain is adjusted properly that you should have about 20mm of free play with the suspension compressed. I have been using the take a cargo strap to compress the suspension method. Unfortunately everytime it ends up too tight or too loose. Am I missing something here? My rear shock is about as stiff as they come and my skinny arse only compresses it about an inch (if that) when on the bike. Does this have something to do with my outcome? The adjusters on my clone are about as lousy as they come as well. Any suggestions? Thanks...

Old 09-12-2006, 01:03 PM   #9

Stiff rear suspension

My rear suspension on my GY200 was also extremely stiff when I first had it. It was a real spine killer . However after dismantling the linkage I found that it was poorly greased, and the linkage bolts that pass through the frame and swinging-arm had been over-tightened, and therefore had been pinching the linkage. After fixing these problems the rear suspension is hell of a lot better.

Old 09-12-2006, 01:32 PM   #10

Thanks for the info. I have greased the swingarm, but never thought of it being too tight. I will check this out.

I didnt have any problems adjusting the last chain, just this new one? Wierd.

Old 09-12-2006, 01:58 PM   #11

Stiff rear suspension

Sorry, I was a bit unclear. I meant the rear suspension linkage. The bolts I mean are the four bolts you can see in the photo below.

http://www.nalyd.freeserve.co.uk/GY200/GY200Linkage.JPG

Old 09-12-2006, 05:40 PM   #12

Quote:
BMW and Motto Guzzi both make a 1000cc+ shaft drive DS bike,
I don't consider bikes like the BMW GS a Dual Sport. Those bikes are "adventure tourers" capable of riding down a dirt or gravel road, but certainly not dirt bikes in the cow trailing sense. They are quite versatile tourers, but not DS bikes. The are just street bikes with a little more suspension and sometimes a bash plate or crash bars. The crash bars WILL come in handy if you get carried away and start thinking you can follow an XR400 down a trail.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:03 PM   #13

Re: Stiff rear suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeethDaa
Sorry, I was a bit unclear. I meant the rear suspension linkage. The bolts I mean are the four bolts you can see in the photo below.

http://www.nalyd.freeserve.co.uk/GY200/GY200Linkage.JPG
That's cool. Mine isn't set up like that. I got a 2005 cheap ebay clone. Non adjustable shock and swinarm mount. Here's a pic...

Old 09-13-2006, 02:13 AM   #14

I used a chain tensioner on mine

and here how I fixed the chewwed rubber slider

Old 09-13-2006, 11:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cresstt
I used a chain tensioner on mine
I seen that under your other thread. I might look into something like that as well. Thanks...