Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Video and Pics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2011, 06:00 AM   #136

Its running and with the clutch pulled, but any attempt to put it in gear gets gears hitting, I think the cable slipped.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:51 AM   #137

It sounds like the clutch won't disengage. I had an old Yamaha like that, and I had to let it warm up for awhile to make the old clutch plates un-stick from each other. Sometimes that wouldn't help, so I'd kick it into second with the clutch in, which usually freed up the plates.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-03-2011, 05:10 AM   #138

That bike is odd, it has the shifter on the right side and it is the opposite pattern as its one up and three down.

I will let him know what you said, come to think of it that day we did not warm it up for very long. But he also had issues with the cable the end was rigged by a mechanic, that may be what is happening even though he is pulling it, its just not disengaging enough, it may have slipped. You cannot see the linkage or the termination of the cable on that bikes it all is covered with a housing cover that has to be removed.

First time I got on it, I pulled the cultch and the cable snapped, the second time it just would not disengage. The bike has been ridden by the mechanic and also the owner , neither had problems with the clutch other then the cable, that they kind of sort of fixed.

Its dangerous I think, he needs to get that fixed and the mechanic he used is now off his list, he is trying to find a better mechanic. He bought a rebuilt carburetor for it, that and a few other things he wants done to the bike…but he cannot seem to find a mechanic or he is not looking hard enough.

I found the first guy, they only work on vintage bikes mostly old Triumphs. But we found out that the original mechanic retired and his partner took over…I think the second guy is running off the previous guys reputation? He had the bike in his shop for over a month…he got stuck on the carb slider being slightly warped….that brought about the purchase of a rebuilt one from a supplier in Italy…but the owner does not feel he wants this mechanic to do the work. The mechanic did not locate the carb source…the owner did. Not that it matters but what he really wants is somebody that is not going to coble the fixes. The cable should have been fixed right…its bit of a saga.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:25 PM   #139

Sounds like your friend needs to join a vintage bike forum and fix it himself.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #140

I was thinking that is sounded like a DIY project too.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:01 PM   #141

I am pretty sure the cable is not repairable, they need to take it off and send it to somebody to make one, they braided and soldered the ends. It’s a very stiff clutch, it just pulled off or is slipping off.

I think that is why he does not want that mechanic, he also thought it would be simple to fix.

The bike is a little rough, pictures make it look better then it really is, however, it really is a collectors item, it needs a professional restoration IMO.

He paid 5K and a fully restored version could fetch 7-8K at an auction. If he would have asked me I would have said do not buy it…I think it needs about 2K to restore it. .

Keep in mind it is a 1959.…I personally think it is not a good choice for just ridding around on. It should be in a museum or on display in a dealer showroom.