Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2017, 01:35 PM   #1

Head Scratching So the choices that are decent seem to be......

So upon my quasi-hijacking of another thread, and my ridiculous amount of research thus far, here are the street-legal(ish) bikes that are out there in 250cc form. Now, I know that there are some questions regarding if some of these can be plated for road use (especially in VA), but I wanted to throw them out there. I looked at a ton of pages on these forums, and I didnt see an all inclusive thread, hence this one.

Still on the fence if I want to have a dual-sport bike, or one that is made for offroad use, but might be able to be converted. If anyone has any of these, please let me know your mods, if any, and the positives/negatives that you have found. Parts availability information would also be helpful. Thanks for helping out a complete rookie in this area!

If I missed any, please let me know as well. I am asking you all your opinions since I am new to the "Chinese Bike" scene, and have been out of dirt biking for some time now. Not in the market quit yet, but want to get your opinions, and if the price difference of some of them is worth it. Prices listed are SHIPPED prices:

ROAD LEGAL AS IS:
1)Hawk 250 $1300
2)CSC TT250 $2200
3)SSR XF250 $2800
NEW)Bashan Enforcer 250 $1500

QUESTIONABLE IF CAN BE MADE ROAD LEGAL:
4)Apollo 250 $1600
5)SSR SR250S $3700
6)Pitster Pro XTR T4 250LC $2800
7)Pitster Pro LXR 250F $4000
8)???????

Last edited by Border411; 08-01-2017 at 02:11 PM.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Border411 View Post
So upon my quasi-hijacking of another thread, and my ridiculous amount of research thus far, here are the street-legal(ish) bikes that are out there in 250cc form. Now, I know that there are some questions regarding if some of these can be plated for road use (especially in VA), but I wanted to throw them out there. I looked at a ton of pages on these forums, and I didnt see an all inclusive thread, hence this one.

Still on the fence if I want to have a dual-sport bike, or one that is made for offroad use, but might be able to be converted. If anyone has any of these, please let me know your mods, if any, and the positives/negatives that you have found. Parts availability information would also be helpful. Thanks for helping out a complete rookie in this area!

If I missed any, please let me know as well. I am asking you all your opinions since I am new to the "Chinese Bike" scene, and have been out of dirt biking for some time now. Not in the market quit yet, but want to get your opinions, and if the price difference of some of them is worth it. Prices listed are SHIPPED prices:

ROAD LEGAL AS IS:
1)Hawk 250 $1300
2)CSC TT250 $2200
3)SSR XF250 $2800

4)Apollo 250 $1600
5)SSR SR250S $3700
8)???????
With the Hawk, make sure that the MCO/MSO says motorcycle on it and not dirt bike. Two missing from the street legal group is the CSC TT250, about $2200.00, and the no 49 state problem Enforcer 250 - $1300.00. ...ARH

Old 08-01-2017, 02:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
With the Hawk, make sure that the MCO/MSO says motorcycle on it and not dirt bike. Two missing from the street legal group is the CSC TT250, about $2200.00, and the no 49 state problem Enforcer 250 - $1300.00. ...ARH
The TT250 was on the list. I also added the Enforcer 250.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Border411 View Post

ROAD LEGAL AS IS:
1)Hawk 250 $1300
2)CSC TT250 $2200
3)SSR XF250 $2800
NEW)Bashan Enforcer 250 $1500

4)Apollo 250 $1600
5)SSR SR250S $3700
8)???????
I'm still a little unclear on whether or not the Hawk/Magician enduros are genuinely street legal. Reports seem to vary. I have seen at least one listing on Craigslist from someone in NJ who was selling his having purchased and been unable to register/title it there. Others have said they did OK. So I think it's 'mostly' OK but not really rock-solid that it's OK. I'd hate to advise someone to buy a Hawk and insist that they would not have problems with registration/title where they live and then see them run into issues.

From my studying online, it appears that the Bashan dual sports have EPA/DOT certification, and that matters when it comes to registration, I believe. I've seen a few shady dealers advertise Hawks with 'DOT certified' and then "tires" in the fine print. Yes, the tires are DOT certified, not the bike.

As I continue to investigate, it appears that the first wave of dual sport bikes that arrived from China prior to the 2008 economic meltdown in the USA were often DOT/EPA, such as bikes by Qlink and others. They were mostly 200cc and they appear to be not around now, or they sell completely different bikes, not dual sports.

I passed on a Qlink XF200 the other day - kind of wish I had not. Had the much-vaunted Suzuki motor in it and it was already registered and titles in Michigan. Ah well, the finances still are not quite right.

Anyway, it does appear to me that the best indicator of genuine 'no problems' registration/title is that DOT/EPA cert in 49 of the 50 states. CARB is what California wants, am I right?

Old 08-01-2017, 06:10 PM   #5

Dont forget the Brozz. Am I partial because its what I chose? Yep, But I also thing its the best out of the crate bike short of the CSC TT250

Previously owned / operated MOTO Xtreme selling American Lifan / Check out my friends at www.armattanquads.com

"Imagination is more important that knowledge" Albert Einstein

Old 08-01-2017, 06:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOXtreme View Post
Dont forget the Brozz. Am I partial because its what I chose? Yep, But I also thing its the best out of the crate bike short of the CSC TT250
Not take big fan of about thing with wheels smaller than 21/18.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:08 PM   #7

Hawk's ease of registration is entirely down to whoever you talk to at the DMV, or tag notary if you go that route.

You can consider the Hawk and TT250 as almost the same bike, but the premium on the TT250 is all about the unbox'n'go and support.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:29 PM   #8

Border, I would put the Hawk at the top of the list as far as bang for your buck goes, but the highest hurdle you'll have to clear with it is the ability to register the bike. I would go (don't call, go stand in front of someone) down to the local DMV or Tag Office and tell them what you're doing. Make sure that the bike appears on an 'acceptable for street use' list. The extra money for the CSC is well spent if you don't get into any headaches when it comes time to put the bike on the road. There were some insane hoops I had to jump through to get a plate for my Hawk, and the hassle was more than I would wish on anyone. Here's a link to my ordeal, the misadventures start at post 12. http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...t=17627&page=9

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 08-01-2017, 10:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
Border, I would put the Hawk at the top of the list as far as bang for your buck goes, but the highest hurdle you'll have to clear with it is the ability to register the bike. I would go (don't call, go stand in front of someone) down to the local DMV or Tag Office and tell them what you're doing. Make sure that the bike appears on an 'acceptable for street use' list. The extra money for the CSC is well spent if you don't get into any headaches when it comes time to put the bike on the road. There were some insane hoops I had to jump through to get a plate for my Hawk, and the hassle was more than I would wish on anyone. Here's a link to my ordeal, the misadventures start at post 12. http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...t=17627&page=9
I agree with all of this. Obviously the Hawk requires a bit more fiddling, but a majority of the issues are known and have fixes that have been covered by members over the years.

One thing I would say that also gives the tt250 an edge on the hawk for its price is better suspension out of the box and better support from the dealer. I love my Hawk, but a small part of me wishes I would have tried to pick up a tt250. If I do get another enduro CB, then it will most likely be the lxr 250f. The upgrades on that bike across the board make it worth the extra cost.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 08-01-2017, 11:22 PM   #10

Wigwam from what I understand from registering my Bashan shark here in Michigan as long as it has lights mirrors and turn signals you can put it on the road. Now my insurance company was a bit more picky in needed it to have motorcycle on the mso and the words dirt bike no where to be seen.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshevie View Post
Wigwam from what I understand from registering my Bashan shark here in Michigan as long as it has lights mirrors and turn signals you can put it on the road. Now my insurance company was a bit more picky in needed it to have motorcycle on the mso and the words dirt bike no where to be seen.
Thanks, that is helpful! I have seen at least one other person who stated (in September 2016, I believe) that they had successfully registered a Hawk in MI.

If I seem overly cautious, it is because I have seen some other things around here that give me pause. At least one fellow was selling a Hawk on CL in Northern MI and it did not have plates on it. I asked him if he had a title and he said "I'm told you can get one." Since he had had the bike for a couple years...it makes me think he tried and could not register it and was trying to sell it on. Another fellow I have been trying to reach is not replying to my emails or phone call voice mail message - he's selling a Hawk and it also has no plate on it in the listing and I was asking him the same thing - have a title? No reply. Makes me worry, you know?

I'm too old to buy an expensive paperweight, and I do not have a farm where I can go buzzing around offroad without plates. For me, no title means no plates which means no ride, which means I would be quite upset. And yeah, I know about Vermont, etc, etc. Like I said, I'm old and I'm not in the mood to play games. If I can't stroll into SOS and get a title, I'm not playing. Let the young guys take those kinds of risks!

Old 08-02-2017, 03:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigwam Jones View Post
Thanks, that is helpful! I have seen at least one other person who stated (in September 2016, I believe) that they had successfully registered a Hawk in MI.

If I seem overly cautious, it is because I have seen some other things around here that give me pause. At least one fellow was selling a Hawk on CL in Northern MI and it did not have plates on it. I asked him if he had a title and he said "I'm told you can get one." Since he had had the bike for a couple years...it makes me think he tried and could not register it and was trying to sell it on. Another fellow I have been trying to reach is not replying to my emails or phone call voice mail message - he's selling a Hawk and it also has no plate on it in the listing and I was asking him the same thing - have a title? No reply. Makes me worry, you know?

I'm too old to buy an expensive paperweight, and I do not have a farm where I can go buzzing around offroad without plates. For me, no title means no plates which means no ride, which means I would be quite upset. And yeah, I know about Vermont, etc, etc. Like I said, I'm old and I'm not in the mood to play games. If I can't stroll into SOS and get a title, I'm not playing. Let the young guys take those kinds of risks!
Stick with Bashan and you'll have no problems.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Stick with Bashan and you'll have no problems.
Agreed! Now the problem is finding a Bashan dealer that doesn't have an "F" rating with the BBB! Yes, I know that most people don't have issues with the F-rated BBB dealers. But it's a risk, even if a small one.

That's kind of why I've been looking locally for a Bashan bike in the used listings, and one that's already got a title in hand as well. Let someone else take the risk of getting a twisted pile of metal and rubber in a crate and having an F-rated dealer ignore their emails forever afterwards. Not me!

I'm also still saving my pennies, so not quite ready to buy yet anyway. Just getting ready and trying to figure out the best approach for a risk-averse guy like me.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:16 PM   #14

I have had just as many problems with B and A rated companies... lots of ways to get around the BBB ratings

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigwam Jones View Post

If you're that worried about risk, my recommendation is buy one of the name brands. Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzy-Q, KTM, and etc. ....ARH