Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2018, 11:56 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Using flux core mig would be just about the worst setup to use on any tube frame bike, regardless of how good or bad the metal quality is. That just screams blown holes and turd weld beads. The effective wire diameter is .023 on most flux core, which gives way too much of a narrow hot spot for thinner gauge steel. You would have to be a damn good welder to pull off a good weld on even high grade tubing without screwing up.

Considering there is more than one example of people that have successfully welded to the stock Hawk frame, it's not impossible. A .035 Forney 42276 wire with a 75/25 Ar/CO2 blend would be my personal combination of choice if I were going to go the MIG route. Might make for a wider weld, but it will distribute the heat better (limits relative penetration "focus") and lay a flatter smoother weld.

To each his own though.
I agree with that logic when using a higher quality welder. My little Miller 175 seems to like 0.030" with 75/25 on light tubing; it'll lay down decent beads with 0.035" or 0.040", but I've had the best results with 0.030'. When it's cranked up to weld 1/4" plate, it likes 0.035" or 0.040" just fine.

When I had an opportunity to try my buddy's Eastwood 140, I found that it could only work with 0.023". When I tried using 0.030" at the correct settings, the gun was literally being pushed away from the work. It didn't have any more power to give. Don't get me wrong; it's a wonderful little welder with infinite voltage control, but don't expect to weld more than about 3/16" in a single pass.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-21-2018, 11:58 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwildman View Post
I can verify that this is doable, and if I fit the xl500s in there the 350 should be no big deal.

This an older xl350 engine? I hear the 350s was hard on cams. A buddy of mine had an old xl350 2 valve.. that thing ran soo smooth, and had a great exhaust note with the underswept pipe.
Thanks for reminding me, Jim! Would you consider putting a link to that project in your signature line?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-29-2019, 03:56 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Thanks for reminding me, Jim! Would you consider putting a link to that project in your signature line?

Yeah, thats a good idea,, thanks.