Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2018, 01:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Just going to make this suggestion, but if you take the head in to a local machine shop, they can probably extract that stud without damaging the threads for a relatively small fee.

Worst case scenario, order a replacement head through CSC for the TT250. The only real difference will be that you need to make a block off plate for the air injection port on the exhaust side. $85 for a complete head already painted black and ready to go.
Just curious but how hard is it to remove just the head??

Old 05-17-2018, 01:13 PM   #17

The head comes off the engine rather easily. remove the valve cover. remove the 3 bolts that hold on the rocker assembly, remove the push rods, remove the 4 nuts that hold the head to the cylinder. remove head. Just make sure to set the engine at TDC on the compression stroke before you begin, this will ensure you are not fighting the valve springs when removing or installing any of the components.

Now, if it can be removed from the engine while installed in the frame of the Magician is a question I can't answer. It can be pulled from the Hawk, and most likely it can be done with the Magician too, but I have no first hand experience.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-18-2018, 12:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
??? what you been smoking? That's the cylinder head.
I have no excuse for that; not sure what I was thinking.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-21-2018, 08:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
This shows how I used my head I already had. The newspaper kept the metal shavings out of the cylinder head while work was in progress:
So my newest update, I had a good friend come over and help me try to remove the stud and we first tried to remove the other stud to see how far we needed to drill but it broke off almost immediately. So we tried to remove that one and no luck. So I am looking at doing what you did zippy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
A machine shop I consulted recommended I drill the new holes to a depth 1.5 times the diameter of the replacement studs.together.
How far did you say to drill? 1.5 times the diameter??

Old 05-22-2018, 08:19 AM   #20

Depth for Holes to Receive Exhaust Studs

That's right. The machine shop guy said standard practice is to go to a depth 1.5 times the diameter of the replacement stud. I did and the depth of the metal in the head was sufficient to take it.

Good luck. It was tricky to drill the holes perpendicular to the face but I got them close enough to work.

Tags
magician, magician 250cc