Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2019, 09:43 PM   #1

Grin diyRdie's rat magician

-------------------------------current configuration-------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
link to fuel tank build thread
link to tachometer install
oil cooler install

--------------------------- original post------------------------------------
I started coming to this forum last year when I bought my 1st bike, a 2017 (18?) Rps magician from Q9 powersports. I was always a compatent mechanic and builder of things, but I couldn't have done it without the information I found in this group. I wanted to share where I am at now with this magician after 6500km and hopefully enrich the community. I won't be going into detail about everything since most of what I have done isn't new here, but some if it I think might be. If anyone wants to hear more about something please ask.

The first thing the stock battery died after only a few weeks. I went to the local big box store and got a sealed one. An accident led me to get new handlebars mirrors and blinkers. Pro tip on the cheap led blinkers guys, shoot them full of clear silacone and they are waterproof and won't vibrate the lenses off. I had to use load resistors on the 2 front blinkers and get an adjustable blinker module.

The tail light was part of my fender elimination project. It worked out good, but the DIY bracket vibrated itself to death a few times. I found a 1/2 roll of electrical tape
was good enough. It has held for 4months now. I also got a bright H4 LED bulb for the headlight.

post a picture
I went with a milkuni clone VM26 with a 115 main 25 pilot and an extra long pilot adjustment screw clip on the middle position. I paired it with a eBay pod type filter. This led me to delete the airbox and make a battery box out of an old aluminum running board.

I purchased on an o-ring chain and swapped the front sprocket to a 17 tooth (very minor grinding was required). I did get a $30 eBay muffler and just cut the old one off, welded the new one on, and then gutted and rewelded the catylitic. The header nuts and studs were replaced with hardend bolts and holes were drilled through the heads so I could lace them with wire. They would come lose all the time and give me the deceleration popping.

I did run N2O or NOS for a time. It was one of the little eBay one's that go on the handlebars and feed to the air filter from a little canister. It was cool and give me a few extra geese ( for like 10 seconds). The device leaked so you couldn't just always have a shot on the ready. I am still on the stock tires and tubes (knock on wood) I gave them each like 12oz of slime right off the bat. And I am using a oil plug with the magnet in it, everytime I change the oil, it is covered with steel powder. Which is every 500km for first 3000km but now I do every 1000km. Always with rotella T4. I made a remote choke on the handlebars from a snow thrower choke cable. (That thing was impossible to find at night with gloves on).

image upload site

As I am only 5'4" I shaved almost all the foam from the seat and recovered it with marine grade faux gator cuz why not. I put on a windshield I bought on, you guessed it.. eBay. It does deflect wind if you're in full tuck position. My fueltank would develop a leak on the seams. I tried epoxy, tank sealer, and even brazed the seams but no luck. I built a new one from a "legal fuel container" and I love having the extra 1/2gal, but no reserve so be careful. It's held on with a wood bracket I glued to the bottom along with a bunch of 60# tarred bankline over it cuz safety first. Lol.

My exhaust melted a hole in my brake line so I replaced them both with aftermarket nylon atv ones. I have had many bolts fall out including 2 lower motor mounts! The speedo is dead on with my GPS so I kept it. The top speed is 68 on a hot day and 74 on a cold day. I figure all in all I have still spent less than a custom Harley paint job. I love every second I get time ride it. I would buy a new fueltank but txpowersoprts wanted a fortune. So if anyone has any leads I'd be gratefull. At about 4000km my head bolts came loose and the head would ahve a small gasket leak so I bought a torque wrench and retightend them and the leak went away.
_---------------------------------update-----------------
I for got a topic or two. The modded shifter and rear brake pedal. The pedal fell off so I welded one up from Bicycle gear and part of a hole saw and welded it to the arm.and the shifter is just a cut down L bracket welded to the original. I did have to move the pedal up some to get it to work.

upload pic site

I encourage questions. And if you have gotten this far thank you. You can check the whole album at
http://chinariders.net/album.php?albumid=327

Last edited by diyRdie; 01-30-2020 at 02:07 PM. Reason: More information

Old 11-23-2019, 10:04 PM   #2

That is cool! Try Taobao for the gas tank and other Magician parts.

Old 11-23-2019, 10:05 PM   #3

Wow.. that thing's just.. innovative.. but ugly.. (ofcourse all Magicians are). I'm not sure if I'm impressed or a little queasy.. probably equal amounts of both. But I salute you sir! Ride on with your.. Mad Max.. idk.. machine?
2011 Honda Foreman 500ES 4x4
2001 Polaris Scrambler 400

Old 11-23-2019, 10:14 PM   #4

Chinese rat bike. interesting...
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 11-23-2019, 10:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLeggedRider View Post
Wow.. that thing's just.. innovative.. but ugly.. (ofcourse all Magicians are). I'm not sure if I'm impressed or a little queasy.. probably equal amounts of both. But I salute you sir! Ride on with your.. Mad Max.. idk.. machine?
Thank you.. mad Max is exactly what I was going for.

Old 11-23-2019, 11:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Chinese rat bike. interesting...
I thought all China bikes were rat bikes.. 🤔

Old 11-24-2019, 08:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLeggedRider View Post
Ohhhh 1Leg, deep down you know Magicians are better looking than a Hawk, lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3513.jpg (99.8 KB, 1004 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3514.jpg (99.7 KB, 946 views)

Old 11-24-2019, 10:02 AM   #8

Take that thing to burning man, wear a loin cloth and spiked shoulder pads. You will fit right in. Awesome

Old 11-24-2019, 10:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybike View Post
Yours does look pretty sharp I'll give ya that. But the stock ones.. 🤢🤮😅

Old 11-24-2019, 10:46 AM   #10

It’s horrible but I love it!

2002 Porsche Boxster S
2017 Chevy Bolt

“Throttle twisting geek” -LFN

Old 11-24-2019, 11:02 AM   #11

Quote:
That is a nice magician. I know I have seen it before. When I was trying to decide what bike to get.it did influence my decision. A strap over the back of the seat? Duh why didn't I think of that? Is it Velcro? Now my seat won't pop off when I jump the train tracks on the way to work.

Old 11-24-2019, 11:21 AM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to ikeus685
Magician was my 2nd choice for a China bike. Any bike that is your and fun to ride and work on exceeds just about every thing else in life for fun/enjoyment!
Add a couple foam piece to keep the battery happy.

Old 11-24-2019, 03:25 PM   #13

The mickey as a vent canister made my day.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-24-2019, 05:12 PM   #14

That bike should be at Wasteland Weekend. One of these days I will make it there.

Old 11-25-2019, 07:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Yours is the exception to the rules. lol Best looking Magician I've ever seen.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Tags
magician, magician 250, rat magician