Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2020, 11:27 PM   #1

Tbr7,HAWK 250 OR ?????

Ive been looking into getting a dual sport. I will be buying two. One for myself and one for my partner. I like the price of the TBR7. What are differences and what mods will need to be done? Looking more on road and light off road use. Ive been doing alot of research but still cant decide. I want st stick around 2500-3k for two bikes and mods. Im new to this and would love to learn!

Old 02-10-2020, 05:12 AM   #2

The "basic" Brozz is also an option for your budget at $1500, it has a better swing arm, adjustable rear shock and generally considered to have better build quality. It also runs the best out of the box. The TBR7 seems to have the most QC issues from what I've seen. The Hawk seems to be the favorite around here depending on your riding the 21/18 wheels with DOT knobbies could be better than the 19/17 with 80/20 tires.
1991 Voyager XII

Old 02-10-2020, 05:26 AM   #3

....what AJ says...I'll second that.

and with the Brozz, you'll have great dealer support with PeaceSports, generally regarded on here as probably #1
2019 Brozz 250

Old 02-10-2020, 09:29 AM   #4

Perhaps best to take the opinion on the TBR7 from a TBR7 owner (i.e. me )

This was my first motorcycle ever ... I'm good with a wrench around the house and on my automobiles.

TBR7 comes 90% assembled ( Hawk is more involved, my buddy has one and I helped him assemble after I purchased and assembled my TBR7 )

TBR7 is ideal for 80/20 street vs. offroad - mostly based on tire style

TBR7 has adjustable rear shock to lower it a bit ( my friends HAWK does not )

TBR7 mods, carb tune main jet and 17 tooth front sprocket are really all you need to mod. ( Exhaust, airbox mod ... can be saved for later date )

Misc. stuff with any bike ( shipping oil, fork oil up to you, valve lash )

TBR7 registration is basically a guarantee as well.

My buddy and I have swapped bikes (HAWK & TBR) for a street ride, bikes feel identical in terms of power train, gearing etc. HAWK was a bumpier ride due to stock tire tread and it sits a few inches lower than the TBR7

I have posted this before, as a first time rider who is 5' 9" ish closer to 10" , the TBR7 rides very high even with rear shock lowered, its my only gripe.

Old 02-10-2020, 06:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofqueenz View Post
Perhaps best to take the opinion on the TBR7 from a TBR7 owner (i.e. me )

This was my first motorcycle ever ... I'm good with a wrench around the house and on my automobiles.

TBR7 comes 90% assembled ( Hawk is more involved, my buddy has one and I helped him assemble after I purchased and assembled my TBR7 )

TBR7 is ideal for 80/20 street vs. offroad - mostly based on tire style

TBR7 has adjustable rear shock to lower it a bit ( my friends HAWK does not )

TBR7 mods, carb tune main jet and 17 tooth front sprocket are really all you need to mod. ( Exhaust, airbox mod ... can be saved for later date )

Misc. stuff with any bike ( shipping oil, fork oil up to you, valve lash )

TBR7 registration is basically a guarantee as well.

My buddy and I have swapped bikes (HAWK & TBR) for a street ride, bikes feel identical in terms of power train, gearing etc. HAWK was a bumpier ride due to stock tire tread and it sits a few inches lower than the TBR7

I have posted this before, as a first time rider who is 5' 9" ish closer to 10" , the TBR7 rides very high even with rear shock lowered, its my only gripe.
this is me as well, except I did the airbox delete and CRF230F exhaust mod
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam
Nibbi PE30 and cone filter

Front fork brace

Old 02-10-2020, 07:08 PM   #6

Alex any noticeable difference to report back?

Did you open the airbox a bit or completely eliminate and add a cone filter, maybe a pic if you have time.

Only asking to plot out my 2020 projects ...LOL

Old 02-10-2020, 09:53 PM   #7

I was sorta in your shoes . Torn between the TBR7 and the Brozz. I went with the Brozz for better build, service, balanced engine and start up out of the box.

Old 02-11-2020, 06:04 AM   #8

I have had my TBR7 for about one year. It has 3262 Chinese miles on the odometer, ( no idea what that really means in US miles). The plastic brush guards are for looking at exclusively. The bike does vibrate to the point I put some anti fatigue mat strips on the grips. I loctited everything but the side reflector and so far I only lost one of those.

The carb is "tamper proof " unless you cut slots in the bowl fasteners. I jetted up to 110 and drilled 3 holes in the muffler tip which really helped. The tires are very good on road and in dry conditions off. I dropped the forks and the preload on the rear shock. I have a 17 tooth drive sprocket.

I did some enduro in the 70's but became addicted to speeding tickets one obtains on the street and mostly rode there for the last few years. The TBR7 has been buckets of fun at legal speed, fun cow trail bike and very easy on the wallet.

Old 02-11-2020, 07:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1R 250 bob View Post
I have had my TBR7 for about one year. It has 3262 Chinese miles on the odometer, ( no idea what that really means in US miles). The plastic brush guards are for looking at exclusively. The bike does vibrate to the point I put some anti fatigue mat strips on the grips. I loctited everything but the side reflector and so far I only lost one of those.

The carb is "tamper proof " unless you cut slots in the bowl fasteners. I jetted up to 110 and drilled 3 holes in the muffler tip which really helped. The tires are very good on road and in dry conditions off. I dropped the forks and the preload on the rear shock. I have a 17 tooth drive sprocket.

I did some enduro in the 70's but became addicted to speeding tickets one obtains on the street and mostly rode there for the last few years. The TBR7 has been buckets of fun at legal speed, fun cow trail bike and very easy on the wallet.
Assume you dropped them at the triple tree ? How much ? Thinking of doing the same

Old 02-11-2020, 02:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofqueenz View Post
Alex any noticeable difference to report back?

Did you open the airbox a bit or completely eliminate and add a cone filter, maybe a pic if you have time.

Only asking to plot out my 2020 projects ...LOL
I went with the cone style and removed all the airbox. it helped me with the pipe install as well. no real noticeable increase in power with it, but I had to increase the main jet to 115 from 108 so it must be doing something
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam
Nibbi PE30 and cone filter

Front fork brace

Old 02-11-2020, 07:02 PM   #11

Alex is being shy...he rode it in the desert north of Phoenix on a 75+ miles roundtrip (maybe 100 miles total?). He only had mechanical issues with his CDI (Chinese bikes are notorious for having bad CDIs). It did give the impression of carb at startup problems, but the bike made it and got him him (the group riders all rode their bikes to the trailhead from various points in Phoenix, no trailer queens) home. The CDI was an anomaly; the bike was stout, kept up with the others, and proved itself as a viable alternative. Plus, I believe it undercuts the Hawk in price. As kingofqueenz pointed out, Hawks will probably need/want a tire change if you're riding on the street, whereas Alex proved the dual-sport stock tires could handle the many dirt/sand roads on the ride.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-12-2020, 02:53 PM   #12

I just got a TBR7 and I was looking at the same thing between them both, but the tbr7 just looked better ( I got the white one) and I'm happy I did. The tires would be my only gripe because they seem more for the road. 0 miles on it yet, so I don't have any experience on anything but looks.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:55 PM   #13

I have the 2020 TBR7 as well as the 2020 Hawk. They are both great bikes. Not sure what QC the former guys are talking about. My bikes have both been great.
If you are going to be riding primarily on the street. Go with the TBR7 the tires are way better suited and safer for the pavement. They do descent in the gravel and dirt as well, but are not the best in the mud. But most tires don’t do well in the mud. I couldn’t be happier with my bikes. I honestly can pick a favorite between the two. When I’m riding in the woods I ride my Hawk. When I run into town or on the road it’s the TBR7.
Good luck.

Old 06-10-2020, 01:42 PM   #14

alex_in_az When you added the cone filter you removed the Airbox, what did you do with the Crank Case Vent Hose?

Old 05-22-2021, 05:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_in_az View Post
I went with the cone style and removed all the airbox. it helped me with the pipe install as well. no real noticeable increase in power with it, but I had to increase the main jet to 115 from 108 so it must be doing something
Alex, tell us more about the airbox delete please.

Tags
dualsport, enduro, hawk 250, tao tao, tbr7