Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2021, 08:32 PM   #1

WTF Newbie who just ordered a Magician - help me get to 65mph comfortably

Hey everyone, newbie here

So, I just ordered a Magician from Txpowersports and I'll have it in about 2 months (I think) because it's back ordered. I want to use the bike as a commuter bike that will be on the highway sometimes. I want to be able to keep up with traffic without making it scream the while time. I have about a 15 mile one way trip. I don't plan on taking it off road at all, so permanent mods are okay. Any help will be useful. Thanks for the help! Very excited to get the bike

Old 08-11-2021, 08:41 PM   #2

I guess you are going to want to gear it up . Larger front sprocket if possible will be easiest, and cheapest. If it comes with a 15 tooth, then a 17 tooth will get you some speed at the expense of acceleration. You should plan on jetting the carb regardless of gearing.

Old 08-11-2021, 10:31 PM   #3

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but better sooner than later as far as top speed goes you are not likely to see 65 mph at WOT even with heavy modifications let alone as a sustained highway speed. If you really need to sustain 65 mph, you may want to consider a different bike. I am talking from experience, I have a Magician.

Old 08-12-2021, 05:28 AM   #4

So what are the average speeds I will be able to get!? I'm 5'4" 160#. Is 55mph more easily achieved?

Old 08-12-2021, 09:06 AM   #5

My bike will do 55 but is buzzy. Look at this thread.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...nce#post362405

Old 08-12-2021, 10:34 AM   #6

Are these bikes so slow because of small diameter tires ? I figured they were marketed to be a cheaper, and better option for riders who needed less seat height, but would still be able to keep up with other bikes using the Chonda CG 250.

Old 08-12-2021, 10:49 AM   #7

I have no experience with the magician but my tbr7 will go 66 per gps app. But I'm geared to low to maintain that for very long. Since the magician is lighter and the same motor, if you can find the right sprockets you should be able to do over 65mph... but I dont think itll hold that mph uphill, headwind, or without overworking the engine to make it a solid 65mph cruiser without some work.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 08-12-2021, 11:41 AM   #8

The 16 inch rear tire and the way the rear sprocket is designed prevents you from using anything less than a 45T without drastic modifications and even then you only get like 42 so the bump is limited. To get a substantial boost you need 40T.

Old 08-12-2021, 11:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTaoRider View Post
I have no experience with the magician but my tbr7 will go 66 per gps app.
So is that 66 mph WOT or cruising speed? And what sprocket gearing are you using?

Old 08-12-2021, 11:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Rider 27 View Post
So is that 66 mph WOT or cruising speed? And what sprocket gearing are you using?
Wot, and it's at redline. I'd have to check the sprockets when I get home, but since your rear tire is probably shorter your gearing will be different.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 08-12-2021, 01:30 PM   #11

As ChinaRider pointed out, the Magician's biggest limitation is that it really can't be geared down enough to achieve a consistent 65mph.

The dual sport bikes on the market like the Hawk and TBR7 can be, but even these bikes will generally be near wide open at 65. That doesn't mean they can't survive being held there for 15 minutes at a time, I do it quite often, but generally speaking 65 is right about the limit for your typical CG250 powered dual sport.

If you are wanting a 200-250cc bike for street only duty, I would suggest a bike built for street use like the Venom X22R or Lifan KP200. If you want a more classic styled bike, the KPM200 is a great option with EFI and a 6spd transmission. Those three bikes being street oriented can achieve 70-75mph out of the box. They do cost more than a Magician, but you also get what you pay for.

My personal favorite 250cc street bike would be the SSR Buccaneer, but they are definitely pricey enough that you are getting into good quality used Japanese 250cc bikes.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 08-13-2021, 04:53 AM   #12

What everybody else said (esp. Megadan and ChinaRider27).

I thought it was common knowledge by now that these 200-250cc chinese dual-sports are capped at a 60-65 mph top speed, due to multiple factors (gearing, aerodynamics, weight, power).

You have a dual-sport machine, usually with knobby or dual-purpose tires, with relatively high weight, 15-ish horsepower, tons of plastics to give it "presence" and often just an oldschool 5-speed gearbox. What did you expect?

The easiest mod is to go to taller gearing, in order to shift the cruising speeds closer to 60 mph, but you can only do so by letting acceleration/off-road capability taking a hit. More street-oriented tires will also make highway cruising easier on the fuel and last longer.

But as Megadan said, you can find Chinese bikes with a more street-oriented design right off the bat, in standard, cruiser, naked, Hell, even "super sport" styles. Even at engine parity, those are often much better equipped for the street.

But yeah, the appeal of those dual-sports has always been their affordability and versatility. But think about them this way: on the street you get the performance of a well-tuned factory 125cc bike or scooter (many now push 15-ish HP too, which is also the limit for A1 licenses in Europe), rather than that of a Japanese-made 200-250cc A2-class bike.

Tags
magician, new rider, newbie, rps