Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2017, 06:45 PM   #1

Question about Rhino 250 Engine Size.

My crank has 167FMM stamped on it. Most posts I see say that number is a 230cc, but the website and tag on frame say 200cc. What's the deal?

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 01-11-2017, 07:21 PM   #2

They are actually 229cc.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:49 PM   #3

It's a Chinese import that comes through the docks of California. Think its to get around emissions. It should be a 230cc 229cc or whatever the serial determines.

My Rhino is the same way.

It's somewhat the same deal with the carb that comes with them being all brass plugged up and the screw heads cut off. It's so you cant use the full power it has to offer.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:04 PM   #4

The engine on my ata250 is stamped 171FMM but I removed the head and measured it as 200cc. The correct stamp would have been 163FML.

Last edited by Mudflap; 01-28-2017 at 08:24 AM.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:13 PM   #5

That's a bummer to hear.

Is there anything stamped on the head?

Old 01-12-2017, 06:40 AM   #6

No.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:26 AM   #7

I've had both motors (like many here) and in all honesty, I've found little to any difference in the power of them. You get them jetted and set up properly and for a little 200/230cc motor, they both run great. It's not like one will pull the other one by three car lengths in a quarter mile. I think it's more of a mental thing.

I'll live in the fantasy that my X Moto is a 200 (163FML) and my Rhino is a 230 (167FMM)....and that unicorns exist! ;-)

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 01-12-2017, 02:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
I've had both motors (like many here) and in all honesty, I've found little to any difference in the power of them. You get them jetted and set up properly and for a little 200/230cc motor, they both run great. It's not like one will pull the other one by three car lengths in a quarter mile. I think it's more of a mental thing.

I'll live in the fantasy that my X Moto is a 200 (163FML) and my Rhino is a 230 (167FMM)....and that unicorns exist! ;-)
This is very true I mean we are talking what 33cc difference. I guess you have bragging rights if you have the 229! Since you have a whole weed whacker motors power advantage.

Old 01-12-2017, 04:58 PM   #9

In the world of 229cc dual sports, I felt 'left out' with the TMEC 200 as 'only' being 200. To top it off, TMEC keeps re-certifying the 196.XX engine year after year as I see it on the EPA/DOT 'on-highway motorcycle certification list'. But, judging by many people commenting on some of their 229+ dual sports, thinking back, I don't think I was missing out on anything with a 'mere' 200. In fact, the day I had my fateful accident which was the beginning of the end of the TMEC (I actually still have it), I rode on Interstate 8 which is a 65 mph zone through Yuma for about 5 miles or so. I was keeping up with, and even passing, some of the traffic. My speedo was/is broken, so no idea of how fast I was going, but cars generally aren't flying through Yuma city limits, so probably about 65+ a couple mph, and the overly anal retentive drivers who tend to drive under the limit tend to go 4 or 5 mph under. The only thing done to the TMEC was a 48 tooth rear sprocket, and I left on the stock 17 countersprocket because I liked the combo. The bike comes stock with a 56 rear. The OEM for the engine, even though is officially listed as 'TMEC Power something or another' on the EPA list is actually Zongshen, so that might explain something as to why, thinking back, it ran like TT250 owners report their stock bikes run, albeit minus a miniscule amount of power as compared to the TT.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Last edited by culcune; 01-12-2017 at 09:31 PM.

Old 01-12-2017, 05:07 PM   #10

LOL, another thought kicked in after I wrote my novel. Whether you guys have a 200 or larger engine, I am pleasantly surprised to read how well your guys' Rhinos run, and your guys' reported top speed, which makes me think it might be a good all-around quad to get vs. a sports quad. I understand you guys had other ideas for your Rhino--utility--but it would be nice to only have to buy one quad for both exploring the desert roads with a bunch of stuff strapped on or riding it cross country or over dunes in those areas where it would be expected to take a 'sports' quad. I know that pulling a trailer is out, so I won't have to worry about re-gearing it, and for the price, it is just begging for me to call Alan to see what kind of price he can get one for me!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 01-12-2017, 07:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
LOL, another thought kicked in after I wrote my novel. Whether you guys have a 200 or larger engine, I am pleasantly surprised to read how well your guys' Rhinos run, and your guys' reported top speed, which makes me think it might be a good all-around quad to get vs. a sports quad. I understand you guys had other ideas for your Rhino--utility--but it would be nice to only have to buy one quad for both exploring the desert roads with a bunch of stuff strapped on or riding it cross country or over dunes in those areas where it would be expected to take a 'sports' quad. I know that pulling a trailer is out, so I won't have to worry about re-gearing it, and for the price, it is just begging for me to call Alan to see what kind of price he can get one for me!
You have been around here since the olden days (2006) yet you still have not listed your signature inventory. Enquiring minds want to know.

I tried a to post a good n.e.cover but couldn't get it to work
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 01-12-2017, 09:29 PM   #12

To be honest, I could never figure out how to change things here (hence my Mark Twain quote for years), but now that you mention it, I spent several hours (okay, SLIGHT exaggeration) and finally changed the signature to reflect the two bikes I still own.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 01-12-2017, 10:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
To be honest, I could never figure out how to change things here (hence my Mark Twain quote for years), but now that you mention it, I spent several hours (okay, SLIGHT exaggeration) and finally changed the signature to reflect the two bikes I still own.
A historic occasion..

If you really wanted to show out, you'd give the model years.

Or tell me to f off ...hehe
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~