Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2022, 06:18 PM   #1

Head Scratching Best dual sport/ enduro for under 2000

I'm a 12-year-old with a little bit of 250cc scooter driving experience. I'm looking to get a dual sport bike that I will drive around my neighborhood, light to medium trails, and around unpopulated areas sometimes (I guess)
I'm looking for a high-quality bike that can do all these things UNDER 2000! Also, I'm fine if it's like a dirtbike with extra lights added, not that great street wheels, because I can handle low speeds;

here are a few good ones I've found

Brozz 250
tbr7
hawk 250
Orion Rxb 190l

please check out all of these bikes and tell me which one would be best for me, feel free to add more suggestions!

I am around 5ยด3

Old 01-10-2022, 07:21 PM   #2

On the other thread you did not put your height, so now that you did, it would narrow down to the Orion RXB 190 due to its 33 (adjustable to 32) inch seat height. You said you have experience with a 250cc scooter, but dual sports are generally taller bikes. No matter what you get, you will want sturdy riding boots, and preferable, ones with tall soles to give you as much height. The 3 full-size bikes will make you have to balance (usually on the balls of your feet, or worse, leaning and balancing on the ball of ONE foot), which is not ideal when you are learning to use a clutch and shift and whatnot. Slightly shorter pit bikes might even be better for you (33/32 inch is somewhat on the taller side for pit bikes).

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 01-10-2022, 08:30 PM   #3

I think the magicians have a pretty low seat height.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 01-10-2022, 09:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTaoRider View Post
I think the magicians have a pretty low seat height.
Yes, but the Magician has a poor reputation when it comes to design and construction, which may be why they are so affordable right now. I'm not sure a 12 yo would want to deal with all too common leaking gas tank. Otherwise, I would agree. For the low price point, I considered one for my 11 yo son, but decided to pass after reading up on the issues so many seem to have had.
As mentioned in Rameetalwaysrides other thread, I chose the Viper 150cc (https://www.powersportsmax.com/produ...ducts_id/17666) instead--much bigger than a pit bike, but a bit smaller and lighter than the typical dual sport or full sized off-roader. It's also quite a bit less expensive than those, which is nice too, and has a decent reputation (at least as far as I've been able to uncover).
2021 Hawk 150 (RPS Viper)

Old 01-10-2022, 10:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt View Post
As mentioned in Rameetalwaysrides other thread, I chose the Viper 150cc (https://www.powersportsmax.com/produ...ducts_id/17666) instead--much bigger than a pit bike, but a bit smaller and lighter than the typical dual sport or full sized off-roader.
I like the fact that the Viper uses a vertical thumper. The manual transmission is the standard style (1 down, 3 or 4 up)?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 01-10-2022, 11:14 PM   #6

The Lifan X-Pect 200 goes for just under $2000 but you'll have to add a few hundred for delivery. Thing is, I'm 5'11" and I can only flat foot on it after my weight is on the seat. I'm told the Hawk 250 is even taller.

If you can find one, I think a Honda 90 would suit you pretty well. They're kinda collectible these days so it might be tricky to find one under $2k but it's possible. I learned to ride on one when I was your age, and they aren't fast, but will totally do the things you describe. Plus they're a dream to work on, and it's easy to find parts.

Old 01-10-2022, 11:46 PM   #7

The CT70 clones come with 125cc engines and have low seat heights. I never thought to suggest those, but they do make a good beginner's bike. Their tires can be changed out for knobbies, and they can be ridden on dirt roads and trails (which was their original intention when they started selling them back in the later 60s).

http://www.icebearatv.com/product/pbz125-2

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 01-11-2022, 12:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I like the fact that the Viper uses a vertical thumper. The manual transmission is the standard style (1 down, 3 or 4 up)?
Yes, it's the standard motorcycle gear pattern: 1 N 2 3 4 5

Old 01-11-2022, 08:55 AM   #9

The problem with Orion is that there are 0 reviews online and no videos whatsoever. I don't want to take such a big risk on a bike that nobody buys. and doesn't the brozz have a 34-inch seat height? It's barely higher. and what about the x-pect dual sport by Lifan, I have gotten a recommendation. any good?

Old 01-11-2022, 09:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameetalwaysrides View Post
The problem with Orion is that there are 0 reviews online and no videos whatsoever. I don't want to take such a big risk on a bike that nobody buys. and doesn't the brozz have a 34-inch seat height? It's barely higher. and what about the x-pect dual sport by Lifan, I have gotten a recommendation. any good?
I think some people buy the Orion

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forums/t...d-250l-owners/

Also. fyi. Xpro Titan DLX = Orion RXB230L (the former 250L version with a 229cc engine and the 5-speed transmission). The only difference between the 2 were that the Orion has adjustable front/rear suspension and a higher price as a result. The new RXB250L is a larger cc engine with a 6-speed

https://advrider.com/f/threads/orion-rxb230l.1497302/

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 01-11-2022, 11:07 AM   #11

anyone else?

Old 01-11-2022, 01:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameetalwaysrides View Post
The Lifan XPect is a very nice bike in this price bracket. My 17 yo daughter rides one. She's 5'8". Note that the Lifan is fine for riding dirt roads, but it's not really for dirt tracks or jumping.

Seat height can be a little misleading. How wide is the seat? A wider seat, like some of the dual sports have (Brozz, XPect, Hawk), will keep your legs spread out more and require more leg length to reach the ground.

Old 01-11-2022, 01:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt View Post
The Lifan XPect is a very nice bike in this price bracket. My 17 yo daughter rides one. She's 5'8". Note that the Lifan is fine for riding dirt roads, but it's not really for dirt tracks or jumping.

Seat height can be a little misleading. How wide is the seat? A wider seat, like some of the dual sports have (Brozz, XPect, Hawk), will keep your legs spread out more and require more leg length to reach the ground.

Also, how soft is the suspension? I mean if drops 2 inches, when you're on it, it may be enough reach the ground (but still a booger to get on or off from). Also remember many of these bikes have a rear spring that allows you to lower it, and you can push the fork tubes up in the trees another 1-1-1/2". Of course there's always buying a shorter rear shock.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250

Old 01-11-2022, 02:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTaoRider View Post
Also, how soft is the suspension? I mean if drops 2 inches, when you're on it, it may be enough reach the ground (but still a booger to get on or off from). Also remember many of these bikes have a rear spring that allows you to lower it, and you can push the fork tubes up in the trees another 1-1-1/2". Of course there's always buying a shorter rear shock.
Those are good reasons to get a standard sized adult bike even if you are below 5'8" or so. Also, a bike that accomodates taller/bigger people will "suspend" a lighter person more successfully in bumps, bottom out less.

Moving the front forks up on the triple tree can be done on nearly any Chinese made bike (speedo cable and brake line will bulge out on the curves, but shouldn't cause any problem).

Old 01-11-2022, 03:38 PM   #15

I mean I have ridden real dirt bikes that I lucky to touch the ground on with 1 foot, but it wasn't that important after I got moving (until i came to a stop in a creek bed or something else that was slick and I had to hold the bike up). I like the shorter height of tbr7 but it's because I ride on the street and like to be able to put both feet down... but I'm not sure I wouldn't learn to ride it on the street with one foot, especially if I was 30 years younger. Lol
2009 Q-link Legacy 250