Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues

Old 04-11-2016, 10:39 PM   #1

Veront plates in Illinois

Has anyone got Vermont plates on a bike from Illinois and kept on riding it without getting Illinois plates? I just hate to pay Illinois $95 for a title and $42 for plates when my Vermont plates cost me $21 a year.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:51 PM   #2

Plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemer848 View Post
Has anyone got Vermont plates on a bike from Illinois and kept on riding it without getting Illinois plates? I just hate to pay Illinois $95 for a title and $42 for plates when my Vermont plates cost me $21 a year.
The only issue I see as a possible future problem is if you are stopped by a patrolman and you have an Illinois drivers license and you own the bike and it is registered n your name,,,,since you are now an Hellinois inmate I mean resident then you have a limited number of days to register the vehicle with Hellinoise plates... Just a thought.

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 05-02-2016, 08:17 PM   #3

Hellinois inmate ROTFLMAO!!! Yup!! Bout sums it up! Glad i left that hole.......

Old 05-02-2016, 11:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemer848 View Post
What if you take the chance and continue riding with the VT plate. This goes on for a few years saving over the IL costs. Then if you happen to get stoped, what would be the fine for not registered plate? Would the fine cost you less, the same , or more vs your realized savings. Kind of look at it that way to help you decide.

Kind of like trying to ratitionalize the cost over several years to justify the cost of a more expensive fuel saving vehicle. Usually won't work out.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 05-03-2016, 01:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
What if you take the chance and continue riding with the VT plate. This goes on for a few years saving over the IL costs. Then if you happen to get stoped, what would be the fine for not registered plate? Would the fine cost you less, the same , or more vs your realized savings. Kind of look at it that way to help you decide.

Kind of like trying to ratitionalize the cost over several years to justify the cost of a more expensive fuel saving vehicle. Usually won't work out.
If he doesnt correct his drivers license to being a state of Hellinois resident then odds are he cant skate by for years. . . If his "legal" residence and drivers license remains in Vermont then the ********* in Springfield can pound sand.

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Last edited by SpudRider; 05-04-2016 at 12:33 AM.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpl096 View Post
Springfield can pound sand.
Something tells me it won't be that easy in a state like Illinois. Here in AZ, snowbirds can literally live here 7 months straight with their home state's license plates and license. They try to get agriculture workers to register their cars here because it funds schools. But, here in the southwest corner of the state, most ag workers go back and forth between Central California and here. Most ALL keep their California plates, which is technically risky and illegal. Why it is different than snowbirds? For one, the parents put their kids in school. And, two, they are working whereas snowbirds are retired. The big reason--California actually cracks down. Simple as that!

Which leads me to think that someone in Illinois, who is an actual legal citizen would not get away for very long with an out-of-state license and plate.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-05-2016, 06:43 AM   #7

My advise would be find an area in VT that looks fun to ride, print out the map with the area and keep it with your registration. IF you get questioned tell them that is where you vacation yearly and why you specifically bought the bike.

Saying a cousin owns property there doesn't hurt either

Old 05-07-2016, 12:38 AM   #8

Where I live the city is like Illinois and broke for funds. They are desperate for money and if they stop you for anything, they will take your vehicle and impound it for a stiff fine.

Old 05-07-2016, 12:46 AM   #9

This is my bike. Faster then a Grom with my mods.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:32 AM   #10

Trying to load pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mc1.jpg (95.3 KB, 311 views)

Old 08-15-2016, 10:33 PM   #11

Decided to go ahead and pay Illinois for title and plates. Did it in June and finally got Illinois legal today. It took 13 weeks to get my title.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:25 AM   #12

When I moved to ar. it wasn't very long at all when the local cops were on my case to get a license and registered here.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:44 AM   #13

FWIW, I have SD plates on my hawk here in NC. my SD title and registration states my NC address. I also have my NC license and have liability insurance on it. I've not been stopped, but if I am, I'm willing to have the discussion since everything technically is in order. other than going through a checkpoint, I'm not sure when I'd get pulled over. it's not like the hawk is going to be breaking speed limits.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
FWIW, I have SD plates on my hawk here in NC. my SD title and registration states my NC address. I also have my NC license and have liability insurance on it. I've not been stopped, but if I am, I'm willing to have the discussion since everything technically is in order. other than going through a checkpoint, I'm not sure when I'd get pulled over. it's not like the hawk is going to be breaking speed limits.
Dam, m@#% f*(0-n straight !!! you have gone to all lengths !!!
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 08-17-2016, 10:36 PM   #15

A little bike like mine kind of sticks out like a sore thumb and police looks at you when you ride it. In my state you have so many days to change your plates to your address. I went the Vermont way to get legal title and then paid the high title fee to get plates. It is a fun little play toy and after I changed the motor really fast. I guess it was all worth it in the long run.