Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro

Old 08-23-2016, 08:45 PM   #1

Head Scratching Hawk Header Help Please!

Hey men I really need your help on this one. So i bought my hawk last summer but due to my mother being diagnosed with breast cancer and me having arthritis I havnt had any time to ride my hawk. I only started her once last summer and once this summer and let her run for 5 mins. Started with the good ol kickstart and stock fluids/plug so I Im really happy my blackhawk is still alive on life support shes just running lean and needs some more power. Im changing all the fluids specially oil and basics but im also going with an aftermarket header and carb/filter(my airbox was terrible and the seal was non existent). For the header ive read in other hawk exhaust forums that there are two types flange mount & slip on. Im having a hard time telling between the two but ive removed the carb and header and taken a picture so you flock members can help a brother out with deciphering what I have. I think its a slip on but im not entirely sure. Soon ill have this baby airborne thanks to this forum and cant wait to share pics when she is!

Also is this yoshi a slip on?
http://hawk250.com/shop/yoshimura-rs...30f-2003-2014/

and lastly would this bad boy possibly fit? I found it outperforms a yoshi and has a megabombish expansion chamber which i love! First two are pics of the belparts exhaust system second link is youtube video yoshi vs. belparts...Thanks for your time gentlemen any help is appreciated!!!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...sso6OOLxe5s4iA

Thanks again brothers!

Old 08-23-2016, 11:08 PM   #2

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Silencers-Mu...&_ssn=rch-2012

That is one that most people are using. A couple of guys are using the other one that doesn't a have spark arrestor/screen and that is why I went to ebay to find the one listed above.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Exhaust...3D321530699660

Old 08-23-2016, 11:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertz9753 View Post
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Silencers-Mu...&_ssn=rch-2012

That is one that most people are using. A couple of guys are using the other one that doesn't a have spark arrestor/screen and that is why I went to ebay to find the one listed above.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Exhaust...3D321530699660
thanks for your input hertz I actually know about that exhaust i was mostly wondering if my setup is compatible with a slip ons like that and if the other two that i attached pictures of are slip on

Old 08-24-2016, 02:11 AM   #4

Your pictures look like stainless steel. It won't bend like aluminum to fit your bike.

Which exhaust are the pictures from? It looks like an FMF exhaust.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:26 AM   #5

not likely an expansion chamber, more likely a catalytic converter.

seems like it would interfere with the clutch cable, maybey not but definetly close.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertz9753 View Post
Your pictures look like stainless steel. It won't bend like aluminum to fit your bike.

Which exhaust are the pictures from? It looks like an FMF exhaust.
I dont intend on bending my exhaust ive removed the stock airbox & carb and freed up a lot of space seems like the only choke point is by the clutch cable. The exhaust in the pictures is a Belparts CRF230F exhaust and it outperforms the yoshi from my understanding. It is a brazillian company and they have some great headers on the market with the fmf style which i love. I wish I could just bolt on a fmf megabomb but i know thats almost impossible on a 230 as there are no years compatible only powerbomb :'( Belparts makes a megabombish like header with a FAT expansion chamber heres another youtube link with it on a crf230!

Old 08-24-2016, 02:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwildman View Post
not likely an expansion chamber, more likely a catalytic converter.

seems like it would interfere with the clutch cable, maybey not but definetly close.
Im almost 100% sure its an expansion chamber and not a cat. Your right the clutch cable and header mount are my two biggest worries but the expansion chamber and exhaust kit at 300-400$ is almost too hard to say no too. Heres another youtube video of the Belparts outperforming a yoshimura in a dyno or sound test possibly. This and the other video i posted have me convinced its an expansion chamber and the brap is undeniable. Sounds just like my best friends 06' WR250X with a megabomb header. Just my two cents and thanks for yours jimbo slice!

Old 08-24-2016, 03:09 PM   #8

Also does anyone know if this yoshi exhaust fits?! I dont know why itd be on a hawk250 site under the upgrades section if it didnt but ive read every exhaust forum here about hawks and china bikes and they say nothing about yoshimuras. It seems like the pipe here is one full piece i feel like it might be an issue getting it to fit on the hawk would love anyone's opinion

Old 08-24-2016, 05:06 PM   #9

just my opinion...not sure if you would find too much on the subject of name brand parts anywhere on this forum. I don't think many members would be too receptive of putting an $400 exhaust system on a hawk with so little to gain. (but then, i don't get out much)

Good luck to ya, looks h.q.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 08-24-2016, 05:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawkdown View Post
Also does anyone know if this yoshi exhaust fits?! I dont know why itd be on a hawk250 site under the upgrades section if it didnt but ive read every exhaust forum here about hawks and china bikes and they say nothing about yoshimuras. It seems like the pipe here is one full piece i feel like it might be an issue getting it to fit on the hawk would love anyone's opinion

It is similar to the Pro circuit t-4 I've installed on my Hawk,the t-4 was listed for the crf230l too so the yoshi should fit with some modifications.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
It is similar to the Pro circuit t-4 I've installed on my Hawk,the t-4 was listed for the crf230l too so the yoshi should fit with some modifications.
Thanks chuck I actually just confirmed it too because i read the good old parts diagram for the yoshi and its actually a 3 part system (slip in header mid-pipe and slip on muffler) so it will definitely match up with some help from my dremel or screwdriver haha

Old 08-24-2016, 07:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
just my opinion...not sure if you would find too much on the subject of name brand parts anywhere on this forum. I don't think many members would be too receptive of putting an $400 exhaust system on a hawk with so little to gain. (but then, i don't get out much)

Good luck to ya, looks h.q.
Thanks brother and honestly I just want some extra hp gains specifically bottom end other than doing sprocket sprocket change there isnt much out there. I ride for hours upstate NY high elevation and also in NYC at sea level so i need reliability & on the fly tuning. Thats one big reason why when it comes to exhausts & carbs ive been leaning towards brand name. Ive seen jetting issues with clones and knock offs first person even after a friend took it to a "shop" still had issues (Keihin clone carb on banshee). Im swapping the carb out for a genuine mikuni with K&N clamp on foam filter and trying to get as much hp possible with a nice exhaust. Then again these hawks arent meant to handle a race quality beating but I wanna see it through i get the most outta mine.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks brother and honestly I just want some extra hp gains specifically bottom end other than doing sprocket sprocket change there isnt much out there. I ride for hours upstate NY high elevation and also in NYC at sea level so i need reliability & on the fly tuning. Thats one big reason why when it comes to exhausts & carbs ive been leaning towards brand name. Ive seen jetting issues with clones and knock offs first person even after a friend took it to a "shop" still had issues (Keihin clone carb on banshee). Im swapping the carb out for a genuine mikuni with K&N clamp on foam filter and trying to get as much hp possible with a nice exhaust. Then again these hawks arent meant to handle a race quality beating but I wanna see it through i get the most outta mine.
You definitely sound fired up! Look forward to the Build.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 08-25-2016, 02:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Good idea. The head pipe is the worst I've ever seen for exhaust gas flow. At the minimum, change the head pipe, and you will be even happier if you use a copper o-ring gasket between head and pipe. I like the VM 26 Mikuni for this engine. Very easy to tune, and parts are easy to get. There are pages of info on that carb, if you hunt for them, on this forum. I would much rather have a more open muffler/spark arrester than a tachometer on an off road bike. You don't have time to be looking at a tach when you are going through the boonies. Your ear will quickly learn where you are at, rpm wise. The pilot jet, and the throttle cutaway control low end, up to 1/3-1/2 throttle. Ideally, when you have the right main jet in the carb, the needle will be in the middle slot. If necessary, raising the needle a notch richens the mixture, lowering the needle weakens it at up to 3/4 throttle. Hope this helps you.

Old 08-26-2016, 04:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
Good idea. The head pipe is the worst I've ever seen for exhaust gas flow. At the minimum, change the head pipe, and you will be even happier if you use a copper o-ring gasket between head and pipe. I like the VM 26 Mikuni for this engine. Very easy to tune, and parts are easy to get. There are pages of info on that carb, if you hunt for them, on this forum. I would much rather have a more open muffler/spark arrester than a tachometer on an off road bike. You don't have time to be looking at a tach when you are going through the boonies. Your ear will quickly learn where you are at, rpm wise. The pilot jet, and the throttle cutaway control low end, up to 1/3-1/2 throttle. Ideally, when you have the right main jet in the carb, the needle will be in the middle slot. If necessary, raising the needle a notch richens the mixture, lowering the needle weakens it at up to 3/4 throttle. Hope this helps you.
Thanks for the encouragement hunter! There are so many dam vm 26s out there im having a hard time deciding on that too...these two genuine mikuni vm26s caught my eye although they are spigot mount so i would need a spigot to flange mount but let me know what you fellow bird gang members thing about these two on a hawk!!! They share the same jet types as a banshee i think stock which makes availability almost universal which i like...here they are

www.ebay.com/itm/New-Real-MIKUNI-26MM-carb-VM26-606-ROUND-SLIDE-CARBURETOR-/310776591031?hash=item485bba72b7:g:eUgAAOxy4dNS-Pep&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mikuni-R...dWQkWS&vxp=mtr