Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Video and Pics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2017, 09:01 AM   #1

Hawk muffler temps

Some testing of temps off the hot cat! I've been luck so far to lay this bike down on the chain side. I've had the bike pin me down to the ground. I told my friends to get this bike off of me. That hot cat is gonna burn if I'm unlucky to go down on the muffler side. I know, jump off before it happens. Haven't removed the cat yet. Any idea what temps you get with the cat out. Not the cat out of the bag lol. I took some temp readings. The cover does actually help keep some heat off the leg, but not enough for me. I used two bushings and fiber washers in a test. The bad is the fact the bushing pushed the cover even closer to riders leg, but temps were lower. I used 6mm x 22mm long hex bolts with bushings. Temps with that were lower than just the OEM bolts and no bushings. Without the cover but still wrapped. The temps were pretty high.

http://s1149.photobucket.com/user/my...muffler%20Hawk

Old 01-28-2017, 10:13 AM   #2

Is that with stock carb and jetting? Does it have an "Air Injection Emissions" dealy?

Those are a few things that I could think of that might be making the exhaust extra HOT

Thanks for taking the time to take temps and post them up

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 01-28-2017, 02:24 PM   #3

Stock carb hawk

It is the stock carb. When the engine is fully warmed up it rides ok. But, always have to adjust the throttle screw during cold starts wth temporary choke. Or stay on the throttle grip till fully warm. It has no problem starting cold with choke. I just turn the throttle screw in then back it off when fully warm. I think that's why they put such a nice screw on the carb. I have ordered a Mikuni carb with jets. Also ordered a 17, 45 combo. May really want to go to 16, 43 instead. I still need some mountain climbing. I was on one steep hill with stock 15, 50 and the hawk would not give up. I lost tire grip though and came to a stop. Allot of clutch action and a push from a friend got me out.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:17 PM   #4

Update on Hawk Muffler temps

Well, got a work around for now on the heat coming off the cat while riding. This shield I made really lowered the radiant heat coming off the pipe. Its almost as cool a the muffler on the back which is what I like. I'm going to put a couple of rods connected at each end on the top of the shield to strengthen the holding there just in case I lean on it a little. I removed the fiberglass wrap off the pipe altogether. I had it in the pics before and that helped. I guess If I left it on I could get the shield even lower on the readings.

http://s1149.photobucket.com/user/my.../Hawk%20Shield

Old 01-28-2017, 10:32 PM   #5

Hawk muffler needed a sticker

If the double sided tape holds up, I really wont need the rods that I thought of. But, it sure needed a sticker. I had this one laying around. What do you think?

Its now Henry Hawk!

Old 01-30-2017, 07:13 PM   #6

Henry Hawk had to go

Ok, I thought I needed big specific pics now.