Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2021, 08:35 PM   #1

Rx3 reliability and spares for long trips?

I am looking at selling my brozz 250 and picking up a used rx3 with a bout 4000 miles on it. I have done a lot of research on them and i am pretty sure i know what i am getting into but i figured i would ask the esteemed members of this forum what their overall ownership experience has been with theirs. How many miles do some of you guys have on and what if anything has gone out? Also i am hearing that valves need to be adjust about every 1200 miles is that true or an exageration. I can fix literally anything i just want to have a better handle on what i am getting into. Also if you were packing for a long trip with your rx3 what spares would you recommend to bring with?

Old 02-02-2021, 09:51 AM   #2

1200 mile valve check....that's extreme. Once the valves settle in, after about 1500 miles on mine, you can go much longer. One indication of the valves needing attention is when the bike stalls at idle.

As for what spares to carry, I'd pack the normal tire repair stuff. The OEM chain and battery are known weak spots so replace them with high quality parts and you are good to go.

Old 02-02-2021, 01:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
1200 mile valve check....that's extreme. Once the valves settle in, after about 1500 miles on mine, you can go much longer. One indication of the valves needing attention is when the bike stalls at idle.

As for what spares to carry, I'd pack the normal tire repair stuff. The OEM chain and battery are known weak spots so replace them with high quality parts and you are good to go.
What he /\ said.......
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 02-02-2021, 01:14 PM   #4

Don't Worry, It's A Tank.

17,000 miles on mine. I've only adjusted the valves once, at 4500 miles. After that, it was checked at 8500 miles, found to still be in spec at .003" and nothing since. Running strong. I do use the Lucas Upper Cylinder and Fuel Injection Cleaner that CSC recommends for all of their bikes with engines.Add a squirt to the fuel tank at each fill up and you are good to go.

As pyoungbl indicates, swap out the chain and battery for better aftermarket replacements; the stock ones are basically price point items - built well enough to get the bike out the door, but that is it. I used an EK SRO6 chain on my bike, swapped it at 217 miles and it is still on there. I did have to separately purchase a SRO6 rivet link, the replacement chain came with a clip on. Also, find a LED H4 bulb with the required low beam cut off and install it in place of the stock 35 watt halogen bulb, you won't believe the difference it makes, especially on the the late 2015 and newer bikes. DO NOT install a 55 watt halogen bulb - the plastic of the headlight reflector can not take the heat and melts/bubbles up. I use an older, 4000 lumen version of this bulb:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genssi-GX7-...0AAOSwj~9bfC5v

It pulls around 40 watts, well within the headlight assemblies heat tolerance range. I installed one in the RX3 and one in my TT250. Installation will require you to cut out a ventilation hole in the back plastic piece that attaches to the rear of the headlight assembly on the RX3, since these don't have fans and are passively cooled, so they need some air flow to stay cool.

As far as spare parts go, one front tube and a tube patch kit are pretty much all you need. Maybe some spare levers; front and rear brake, clutch, and shift; but that's only if you are planning on seriously off roading it; otherwise just the tube and tube repair kit. Maybe add in a spare clip on master link if you didn't get a chain with a rivet master link.

Old 03-08-2021, 08:58 PM   #5

I put on 17,500 miles on mine in Moab, Grand Canyon, Zion, up and down the Columbia River Gorge , Hells Canyon, And up into Canada and down into Baja.
Without a single problem. except once when my battery terminals were loose it would quit intermittently but still got me home. Packed a tent , sleeping bag, cot, mattress, camp chair ,clothing, tools to work on it, air compressor, etc
Adjusting valves was a PITA but doable, just takes time to get to them.
Best bang for the buck I've ever had. Only sold it cause it was a 2015 and I just wanted a change.
For spares replace chain for a good one, spare master link , better battery, spare heald light bulb just in case.
With 4000 miles on it , it probably has the chain and battery already replace. Id put a battery tender on it and take a small cheap charger for it with you also when traveling and maybe a small bottle of coolant as mine seemed to need topping off every now and then. .
rj