Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2018, 06:38 PM   #1

Great test ride on RX3 but need some feedback

I finally got to test ride an RX3 yesterday. It was a used 2016 with only 750 miles. I was expecting less than stellar performance given the taller gearing and added weight compared to my TT250 but was very surprised to find the performance much better than I expected. I did about 1/2 hour ride in the city, through some curves and then returned on the freeway so that I could get a good cross section of riding experiences. Well I was very impressed and thoroughly enjoyed the bike. Now I see why so many people like these.

The only negative issue for me was the ergonomics. I’m 5’11”, 180 lbs and have a 32” inseam. The bike felt very cramped for me with its deeply dished seat that doesn’t allow any movement. I’ve read about the taller seat option and would like to get some feedback on how much it raises the rider and whether you can move back and forth on it, and whether it’s comfortable. Anyone responding please include your measurements as a point of reference.

The other issue I need to get feedback on is riding 2 up. Is there enough room for 2 average size people to be comfortable ? My wife is about 5’6” and 140 lbs. Again, anyone responding please include your and your passenger’s measurements.

Overall, I came away with a very positive experience and will be spreading the word amongst my riding friends. The bike was relatively fast, smooth and nimble, though I didn’t really put it though the paces of riding the twisties. I enjoyed it so much that if I can resolve the ergo issue, an RX3 may find a home next to my TT and could force me to sell my BMW if I find that it’s just collecting dust because my CSC bikes become my “go to” bikes.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:20 AM   #2

I'm 5'-9" and 175 pounds, with a 34" inseam(yes, I'm all legs), and my wife is 5'-4 and about 140 lbs, and we can ride 2-up on the RX3 ok, but does require more downshifting on hills than riding solo, so when we ride 2-up, I usually take my NC700X.

The RX3 is a little more cramped2-up than the NC700X, but it's not really bad.

I've got a 300cc kit, that I haven't installed yet, and think it will make the 2-up a bit better on the RX3, but can't say until I get around to installing it.

But I find the RX3 very comfortable, as far as ergonomics go, I did add a 1 1/2" riser on the handlebars, and run one of those cheap ATV seat pads from Wal-Mart on it. I can stand up easily on it, for rougher trail/roads, and find the seating position one of the best (for me) of any of the many bikes I've owned.
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 06-20-2018, 10:04 AM   #3

6', currently 220 with a 32' inseam. (built like Fred Flintstone).

You pegged it. The only thing that was a "must change" on the RX3 was the seat. The stretchy rubber-like material sticks to your jeans in hot weather and it shoves you forward onto your elbows and into the tank. I got the tall seat. It's not that much taller but much flatter and wider. It's hard but is breaking in nicely.
My wife's RX3 has the narrow seat and I could use that one as well. It's flatter front to back also but is thinner in the thigh area as to not hold your legs out. It's also quite comfy.

I also put on the Tusk risers. Between those and the tall seat, it completely changes the ergo to a more upright position and gets you off your elbow.

2-up I can't help. Mrs. 2LZ rides her own RX3.

Glad you liked the test ride. These bikes are underrated for an inexpensive ADV bike.
The 300cc kit made the power band much more torque-friendly.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 06-20-2018, 09:05 PM   #4

Huck and 2LZ pretty much gave you the low down. +1 on the tall seat.

If you're going to do much 2 up I'd recommend getting the progressive shock. I'd also suggest the 13T counter sprocket to help with the tall first gear. You don't really lose any top end speed and its cheaper than the 300 kit, although the kit is on my shopping list... ; - >

Rojo

Old 06-21-2018, 12:25 PM   #5

Links to the sprocket, shock, handlebar risers

http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/Counte...p/csc-1099.htm

http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/RX3-Pr...p/csc-1600.htm

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...ndlebar-Risers

Old 06-21-2018, 06:08 PM   #6

+1 on the "1 1/2" riser on the handlebars, and run one of those cheap ATV seat pads from Wal-Mart on it"- 5 foot 10inches 200 lbs. More info at: http://www.davidreiss.com/RX3BEETLE.html

Old 06-21-2018, 11:55 PM   #7

Tall seat, Walmart seat pad, small throw cushion under the seat pad. Flattens out nicely, much more comfortable and it wasn't my elbows getting crushed by the swayback seat design.

Several folks with 13 countershafts who do a lot of highway riding report rapid wear, typical of small countershafts. Go with a bigger wheel sprocket instead.

300 kit is good option--fatter low speed and midrange. Not broken in yet so can't help with top end. 250cc pulled until the valves floated. I expect 300 to pull pretty close to redline, which is the 250 horsepower peak. We'll see.

Thinking about making risers tomorrow.