Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2015, 03:03 PM   #4006

That picture is exactly the spot that finished my ride. What you can't see is that there is a sharp left, followed by loose rocky steps, then a sharp right to where 3banger's bike is. Impossible to maintain momentum. I ordered the 13t and a whole new front engineguard setup as mine has been thoroughly "used". The engine is still running like a champ though.

I'll be ordering a 46t and maybe 48t rear sprocket since this type of riding seems to be the norm for me.

Old 08-09-2015, 03:11 PM   #4007

This is where the engine guard give out when you push the limit every day and the bike spends a bit of time on them. It's great exercise lifting it up a dozen times per ride though.

Super happy to have the guards. Replacements are way cheaper than a replacement engine too.

Name:  IMG_2359.jpg
Views: 1371
Size:  86.4 KB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2360.jpg (87.4 KB, 490 views)

Old 08-09-2015, 03:12 PM   #4008

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimarronEric View Post
That picture is exactly the spot that finished my ride. What you can't see is that there is a sharp left, followed by loose rocky steps, then a sharp right to where 3banger's bike is. Impossible to maintain momentum. I ordered the 13t and a whole new front engineguard setup as mine has been thoroughly "used". The engine is still running like a champ though.

I'll be ordering a 46t and maybe 48t rear sprocket since this type of riding seems to be the norm for me.
You are immediately going to like the improvement in torque and acceleration you get from the 13T C/S sprocket. Did the larger rear sprockets arrive at CSC?

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-09-2015, 03:20 PM   #4009

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3banger View Post
This tail starts with ride down south to Ouray CO to give the little Zong a real work out with a planned climb over Imogene Pass to Telluride. Climbed to the summit of 13,114' on the girlfriends XT250 just about a year ago with out much difficulty so I figured it couldn't be that much of challenge on then RX3 with 7+ more HP and only a little more weight.

Stopped in Ridgeway CO (home of the Grammy!) at CimarronEric's cool little coffee and book store. Over a fine Ethiopian blend we discussed the difficulties of getting up the steeper sections of Imogene Pass with the tall gearing on the RX. After some delicious but potent brew I headed south determined not to be denied the Summit

Through Ouray and up to Lower Camp Bird is really a none issue for the little 250 and its stock gearing. Above this point is were things get interesting. It turns to a full 4x4 Jeep road with a few pitches that are challenging to most stock four wheel drive vehicles. This is were the overly caffeinated charge for Imogen Summit glory and real clutch abuse begin. I was deterrent to power up all of the steepest assents with enough speed not to stall the engine. As grades increased my technique moved from a little clutch slipping here and there to full throttle pinned in first gear and modulating the clutch to keep it just shy of redline. This let me get max power to the ground at speeds less then 10 mph while keeping the little 250 on full boil. The down side of this is massive amounts of friction generated heat being dumped to the clutch pack.

The clutch held in there admirably and I made it a little less then a mile from the summit. The clutch felt like it was giving good drive and modulation right up until the end. I needed a little push to clear the section in the photo below with the jeep. With the help of a friendly quad rider pushing the rear rack and my self walking alongside slightly slipping the clutch in first we walked right up this section. Eric I'll admit this section was a bit of a challenge on the RX and I had a few minors tip overs trying it with out assistance. After this there is short down hill crossing a little creek drainage and then pretty much the final pitch to the summit and this is were any mechanical connection between the little 250 engine that could the and the rear wheel just went away. When the clutch was done it was done! Gravity assist down hill drive was the only way this bike was getting off the mountain.

So in your mind when you climbing a big ass hill like Imogene it's got be down hill all the way back? Well that's what I thought when I turned around and how wrong I was! So I have to give a big thanks to the mystery side by siders who helped tow me up every little incline I couldn't maintain enough speed to coast over. Also the RX has great little tow point right under the front fender where engine guards connect. After multiple coast, tow repeats I finally rolled into Ouray later in the afternoon. My girlfriend and friends were in Ouray for training runs on the pass; the big Imogene run is in early September. So they gave us a ride home and then we made late night return trip to fetch the Zong.

The next day I gave the bike a quick rinse drained the foulest smelling oil I've very had the pleasure to sample and pulled the clutch. It's actually quite easy on this bike. The friction material on the two inner most fiber plates was basically gone and the corresponding steals were throughly cooked. I ordered a whole new clutch pack from CSC for a very reasonable 74 bucks. I contemplated just replacing the fibers and then giving the steels a good sanding or bead blasting but with them only being $2.80 a piece there is no reason not to replace them. One of the real values of the moto is the very reasonable cost of parts and that CSC is stocking them all! Also just ordered the 13t front sprocket, this will help but I still feel Imogene will be a challenge on the RX. Really first gear needs to be geared to redline at about 10mph to really make technical climbs a little more doable.

My new clutch bits arrived but I haven't really been able to complete the job. The following weekend I gave my left collarbone a titanium plate up grade running the down hill MTB park in Steamboat CO. Yep over the bars at speed and fractured the left clavicle, bruised right ribs and a nasty friction burn to the shin from one of my tires. Also took out a front spoke with the chin guard on my full face helmet. So it will be a month or more before I'm back on two wheels. But hopefully I'll be recovered enough to start fixing things. Right now the list is a KTM 200 with a no compression, RX3 with a smoked clutch and a Transition Covert MTB that need tires and few front wheel spokes; about par for me near the end of any summer...
Great writeup; get well soon.

Old 08-09-2015, 06:27 PM   #4010

Moar geers niidud

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimarronEric View Post

You both sure have been giving the Cyclones trial by fire. Seems an eight speed transmission is needed. One gear lower than first, one above sixth.

Between the Baja Bash, the West State Samba, and the Imogene Invasion, these machines are serving notice that quality and value CAN be gotten from China.

Sure glad Steve & Joe have made this a go.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:41 AM   #4011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
You are immediately going to like the improvement in torque and acceleration you get from the 13T C/S sprocket. Did the larger rear sprockets arrive at CSC?
No. CSC is having them manufactured in Taiwan so we've got a bit of a wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
You both sure have been giving the Cyclones trial by fire. Seems an eight speed transmission is needed. One gear lower than first, one above sixth.
I couldn't possibly use a higher gear. I hardly use 6th as it is now.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:31 PM   #4012

I like the thought of a higher 6th for the highways, and a lower 1st for the off road...but it would need the power curve to drop a bit in the RPMS, so would have a few less HP, but more torque to pull......My 2008 XT 250 only has a 5-speed with 17 hp (I think that is correct) and it'll pull "Almost" the same top end MPH as my RX-3, but it has WAY more bottom end for the off road situations.
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 08-11-2015, 02:38 AM   #4013

Are a Suzuki G-Strom 250 and a Kawasaki Versys 250 being developed? The following article speculates that Suzuki and Kawasaki are planning to enter the market for 250cc adventure motorcycles.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...red/28029.html

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-11-2015, 02:43 AM   #4014

With about 6,500 miles on the odometer, I replaced the drive chain on my Zongshen RX3. I installed an RK 520EXW drive chain with 110-links. This is a drive chain I originally purchased for my Honda XR650L.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...G-Chain?v=3726

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-11-2015, 02:47 AM   #4015

Here are a few photographs from several rides in July and August. I have now recorded about 7,250 miles on the odometer, and my RX3 is running great.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-11-2015, 08:29 AM   #4016

Great Pics as always Spud !
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 08-11-2015, 08:59 AM   #4017

Thank you, Huck.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-11-2015, 10:16 AM   #4018

I can't wait to get into the mountains like you guys to really push the RX-3. Too much pavement around here.
2001 H-D V-Rod
1999 Ducati 750SS
1997 Yamaha Riva
1995 KTM 250
1970 Honda CB350
1952 Ariel Square four

Old 08-11-2015, 04:07 PM   #4019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Are a Suzuki G-Strom 250 and a Kawasaki Versys 250 being developed? The following article speculates that Suzuki and Kawasaki are planning to enter the market for 250cc adventure motorcycles.
I'm not too taken with the idea of a Ninja-derived AT. I would like to see KTM build an AT version of the Duke 390. That could be impressive, but it would be thousands more than the RX3.

Old 08-11-2015, 04:27 PM   #4020

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
I'm not too taken with the idea of a Ninja-derived AT. I would like to see KTM build an AT version of the Duke 390. That could be impressive, but it would be thousands more than the RX3.
Being built in India:

http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread...ture-is-coming

https://rideapart.com/articles/ktm-3...-testing-india

https://cdn.rideapart.com/wp-content...-photoshop.jpg

Cheers,

Dan K.

Dan's Motorcycle Blog - "Lost? I'm not lost. I'm just exploring. . ."