Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2007, 08:20 PM   #1

Sprocket Combination Help on a 200GY-5

I've decided I need to gear my bike better for highway use. After reading everything over I believe a good choice is a 17 front 42 rear with a 428 chain. I just wanted to run this by the experts here on whether that's a good choice or not. The other thing is I can't figure out where to purchase some of these online. I've checked the normal places I shop and none of them carry the sprockets that are listed in the sprockets reference chart for the 428 chain sprocket. Any ideas?

Old 07-05-2007, 08:34 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to shammash55 Send a message via Yahoo to shammash55
your best bet is to order them from bruce, he has a great selection and i have orderd from him and its there in a couple of days.gonna buy from him soon again too.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:52 PM   #3

Hi Jolly, how many cc's is your bike? How heavy are you? What came stock on your bike? Are you going to ride at all on dirt? For myself, I have a 150cc, I'm really lite, wind slows my bike more than my weight. I started with a 15/46 setup. Went to 17/46. I now have your golden setup, 17/42, I never ride dirt.

You want Highway? Are you willing to sacrifice some of your torque for speed? My goal wasn't wide open speed, but to cruise well at 80kph. I cruise well now at 90kph, but my bike doesn't have the snap it once had. I forget who (I'm sorry) has a 35 tooth rear sprocket and swears by it.
I am no expert but for myself, and for my bike, I would say that my bike responds more like a cruiser now more than a dirt bike. But that is exactly what I was looking for. Once I do a few other fixes I have planned, I may change my rear sprocket again. I might try the 35 and use it for day trip riding, or I might go back to the 46? For the price it's a fun thing to mess with. Sorry for the book but I just got my 42 tooth today. As for where? I got both of my sprockets from site members who changed to the 520 combo. If you want new, I've never heard a bad word about Bruce, just glowing reviews. [/u]

Old 07-06-2007, 12:12 AM   #4

My bike is 200cc GY-5. I'm around 160 lbs so the bike has no problems getting up any hills and I ride 90% road 10% dirt roads... no serious off roading. I guess I'll send Bruce a PM and see if he can't quote me a price on the sprocket. Thanks

Old 07-06-2007, 12:12 AM   #5

I am not trying to take business away from Bruce, but it seemed from the many member who own one that the stock GY-5 sprocket combo made for good freeway/street riding. However, its not like sprockets are a lot of money, so you could experiment with a 42.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 07-06-2007, 08:47 PM   #6

I like my 17/45 combo, but I would go to a 42 if I only wanted to ride street or just dirt road and no off-road.

I ordered from motorcycle-superstore.com

Allen

Old 07-07-2007, 08:32 AM   #7

I now own both a 46 and 42 tooth rear sprocket. I've tested both with a 17 tooth counter sprocket. While testing the 42 I've noticed that the wind and incline really are affecting how long it takes me to get to top speed. Going both ways on the highway produced far different results. Just hitting 100kph going north, I hit 110 on the way back. Wind only difference. I found out that my lack of weight isn't the bonus I thought it was. At 110kph my bike started doing a little sideways dance on the highway. No matter what sprocket I use, I don't need to go faster than 110 on my bike.

On secondary highways (what I wanted the bike for) 90 kph posted, is where the 42 tooth shines. The bike cruises better at 90 with the 42 tooth rear and WOTing up to 100 is almost as easy as with the 46 tooth.

The safest aspect of using the 42 tooth is that I gained more travel in 2nd and 3rd gear. Stop and go in downtown Toronto, now is done easy in 1st and 2nd. If things are really moving, I may get into 3rd.

I only have a 150cc, I'm sure that with the extra grunt of a 200cc, I'd be looking for an even smaller rear sprocket. If I were a heavier rider I think I might have stayed with the 46. For myself, and my bike, I think I'm right at the edge of my final gear ratio. It takes a little longer to get to the speed I want to ride at, but making a left turn at a light is done easily in 2nd now. I hated signaling, shifting into 3rd, and letting out the clutch before leaning into a left turn, from a stop light. Ok that's the last I'm writing on sprockets. If anyone wants to hear more because they are ready to re-sprocket a 150, PM me. Thanks for the math lessons Princess. Ambassador, and Sam, Thanks for the sprockets, World of difference from 15/46. Red I'm glad I did it myself, easy mod, and gave me the confedence I needed to do the forks and brakes. Bike rides better, and goes fast.